The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
ubtripn

I need serious help before I take my wheels off to fix my nrakes for the 7th time.

Here is the status:

New Parts for front brake job all from Napa and high quality. New brake shoes, new brake drums, new wheel cylinders, new hoses, new spring/hardware rebuild kit. Rear brake issue resolved, system fully bled.

I had some initial troubles due to spring pin lengths but got them worked out with the help of the forum but now I have these symptoms:

Right front is self-adjusting to the point where when the front is jacked up and I spin the tire it goes around twice to three times. The left spins about 5 or 6 times..

I took off the wheels, adjusted the brakes up against the drums then backed them off 10 clicks each. Drive it then jack it up and the right tire is doing the same thing again.

So I adjust them almost all the in where nothing is touching (brake assembly is centered) but the right tire eventually adjusts itself to where it only rotates 2-3 times when rolled by hand off the ground.

When I drive 5 miles and get home and the right drum is too hot to touch for more than a second or two.

Is this the norm? For those running power drum brakes, when you have the tires off the ground and you give one a good turn, about how many rotations do you get or should I get?

I have adjusted the brakes all the way off the drum, same thing develops and adjusted them up against the drum and then backed them each of 10 clicks and the same thing develops.

The only part not replaced is the start wheel adjusters. It is like th right side is adjusting the shoes too far. Is that possible? Does anybody know what I should check next?

I am going to take it apart for the umteenth time in the morning and the weather is starting to turn with light snow today, I must get this fixed. Thanks for any help you can provide.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote