The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: HOUSTON:: Need a trailer, and probably a tow rig... ;)

oh, also there is a dude in splendora selling 4 lwb trucks with a lot of good parts for 600. or he can part em out. i got some stuff from him, hes a pretty cool guy
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
rambler
MOVE OVER

just a thought, if all you need is a cab, maybe you can make a deal with some members in Houston, to tow the truck to their site, and pull the cab? that would fit in the bed of a standard truck, ( I think I've seen pics of that), and maybe you can work out something with them on helping to pull it for other parts, and then just strip it there on a weekend?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #28
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
oh, also there is a dude in splendora selling 4 lwb trucks with a lot of good parts for 600. or he can part em out. i got some stuff from him, hes a pretty cool guy
He has a craigslist ad right? Gotta email him, his ad wasn't up while looking this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
it's not just a Texas thing. remember back a few months?

I don't know what your cab is like but the one listed makes me wonder if it's worth a swap. I may consider taking the $200 and put it towards a welder.
It has rust in much easer spots. Kick panel is flat pieces of sheet metal, and the work behind the tank doesn't have to be overly pretty, just good. Rockers are cheap. I have rust in all the PITA spots, cowl, windshield, a-pillar, bondo'd rockers, drip rail, etc etc.

That's the worst, and getting worse fast.

With the donor cab, can sit and fix it up while still driving and working, and then swapping cabs over the course of a few days and get back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idonutn0 View Post
If you get the new cab and want to part out the old one Id like to see if your cab has any panels that I need. I could use a roof and some pieces around the cowl.
Let me know when/if you want to part out the old cab. Im local and Ill cut it up myself. If there is enough good metal that I need I could probably take the whole thing.
Thanks
I'll let you know

Now, Titles will be a fun part... considering this one doesn't have one. Not sure if swapping VIN plates would be frowned upon in this case.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
kev2809
low n' slo

ya he has a craigslist ad. im not sure if any of them have titles though. but I would just swap ur vin tag to your new cab
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #30
Kayotic

Have you seen Uship.com. It works like Ebay as in shippers bid based on cargo hauled and distance.

I've used them twice and have been very pleased. One was inbound from out of state, the other was local.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #31
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

wow, that's a bad top. which brings up another idea. take your truck, an extension cord, a sawzall, and some tie-downs. cut the roof off the donor and haul it back home. take it off at the bottom of the posts. then you have no VIN or title issues. done.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #32
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that bumper has seen worse.
I know not only texans tow everything with anything... it was a heck of a sight to see longhorn jeff and I dragging my one ton longhorn with his 1/2 ton k/5 blazer... 450 miles from eastern PA to central ohio... on a tow bar.
for 100 bucks or so you can get a tow bar.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #33
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotic View Post
Have you seen Uship.com. It works like Ebay as in shippers bid based on cargo hauled and distance.
I'll look into it, but it's more fun to DIY..

I've used them twice and have been very pleased. One was inbound from out of state, the other was local.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
wow, that's a bad top. which brings up another idea. take your truck, an extension cord, a sawzall, and some tie-downs. cut the roof off the donor and haul it back home. take it off at the bottom of the posts. then you have no VIN or title issues. done.
I've thought about it. I'd rather have a whole truck so I can fully plan what to do. Not to mention, make some money back in selling the chassis, as the guy says the frame is straight.

One reason too is I can sit and fix this cab up while still driving, since I deliver pizza, my income depends on being able to drive. So I can't have the truck down for that long to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
that bumper has seen worse.
I know not only texans tow everything with anything... it was a heck of a sight to see longhorn jeff and I dragging my one ton longhorn with his 1/2 ton k/5 blazer... 450 miles from eastern PA to central ohio... on a tow bar.
for 100 bucks or so you can get a tow bar.
Truck ain't got no tires Some wheels are bare rims I hear. Think I'll knock out the bolts and replace them with grade 8 to be overkill and give it a shot.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 06-16-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #34
Rooster's 67

Which cypress you in, the one east of Greenville? if so I am hauling a car to houston on wednesday, and might can haul one back if you can cover some diesel. give me a pm better yet send an e-mail with your number and ill give you a call about it.

Later, Spence
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #35
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

if I make it to Houston some time in the next month I will move it for you, I have a wrecker.

and it towed my Dually from Dallas where I bought the wrecker back with no problem!

Go look at the cab and make sure it is what you want to do, I am picking up a truck here in the next couple of days that has a decent cab on it, if you are interested I will get you some pics, toss in some gas money and I will bring it to Houston for you.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #36
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

The truck will need the tires popped back onto the bead, but other than that, it can roll.

It's a 72 C20, well optioned AC Cab. Formally a 400sb/4 speed truck. High hump floor, but the hump is gone. Rust by the angle under your feet along the hump, but the rest is solid, around the filler neck, bottom of the windshield on the cowl, and a little bit on the cowl. Little bit of crusting along the door seals, but not bad. Seemed pretty minor. The drip rail looked good too. Doors are OK, one will need a skin. Rockers are wasted. Glass is good, few knicks in the windsheild but it's got a sliding rear! Bed is in OK shape, easy to pop the dents out. Driver's fender is usable. Passenger fender has rusted threw on the top, never seen that before. Forgot to look under the dash! So, can't tell you how the seams under the cowl are.

Frame is STRAIGHT from what I saw, and he said when it was on the wrecker it was solid under the cab too. 5 lug, disk brakes. Forgot to look, but I assume it's a coil rear from the SPID. Cab corners looked solid.

Not a bad start. The floor pan I'd probably chop mine up to replace the hump and bad sections. Rockers can be found. The area around the filler would need to be inspected more, but it doesn't look too bad. Crusty... The rust under the windshield is easy to get, all on flat surfaces. Same about the door jam, flat metal. Drip rails looked good, and no pounds of sealer.

Mr. Beast, give me word about the cab you get.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 06-17-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #37
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Damn not being able to edit...

The truck is solid where I need it, along the roof. The rest is pretty easy to fix I suppose. But, need to know because my truck makes horrible noises over any frame-flexing roads (which I go over a lot), and want to get started quick.

Detail shots of the rust:

Worth 200 I'd say
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #38
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I think the cab I am picking up is better, If things are slow in the morning I am going to tow it home in the morning. I will get you some pics once i do.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #39
rambler
MOVE OVER

thats a texas truck? I thought you guys had rust free trucks down there?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #40
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Have no idea about it's history, but it's not far from the coast. The guy saved it from the crusher, but with no title there's little to go on.

In my case, my truck sat neglected for several years, was bondo'd at the 1st signs of rust to cover some up, and had sat with flat tires on the passenger side, so all the rain water flowed over the rust and kept on rusting.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #41
Stoney
Farm Truck

Trucks on the coast in Texas, don't last long.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #42
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Which explains the rust threw on top the pass. fender. Beasly is maybe 20-30 miles from the coast.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #43
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

That other cab do'es look bad Texan, but if your sure you'll be able to get what you need from it then it's all good....hope it all comes together for ya mate as far collecting that Doner Cab is concerned.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote