The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #26
vht

Re: 1985 C10 Replacement Grill

I wish I hadn't purchased a new grille for my 84, I'd of bought 1 from you complete and ordered matching bezels. Grilles and trim sure get expensive.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #27
Wgesnerjr

So what's the magic technique for getting the dents out of the metal trim? We need some documentation for future purchasers!!
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #28
vht

I seen a guy take wood dowels and sheape the end to fit inside the strip, same shape as the chrome trim in other word, he would then put them in a drill press and use a block of wood to press against. He would use it like a press and go down the damaged area a little at a time and work the bad place out. Hope this made sense, he was working on old car trim, alot of it you couldn't buy anymore.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:36 AM   #29
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
So what's the magic technique for getting the dents out of the metal trim? We need some documentation for future purchasers!!
Well on those particular deforms, where they tightened down the nuts too tight, it spread the molding out, pulling the aluminum down causing the deform. So what i did, was took a pair of rubber tipped pliers and squeezed the molding where it was spread out and most deform came out.

Now when it comes to all the rock dings, if you have the right tools, they can be tapped back out from the backside of the parts. I don't have the tools, but I know how it's done. All of the chrome center moldings that I have, that have deforms, I'm going to take to a buddy of mine, that I work with. There's a group of guys that that's all they do were we work, is work out deforms out of the cars. He has the tools and the know how, so I'll let him do his magic for me.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote