The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #26
70cst

Re: Value Of A Converted LWB To A SWB

Ok...now that is a more focused statement that I can agree with.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 10-03-2007 at 07:51 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #27
BHRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Highest Market Value=Factory SWB
Mid Market Value=Properly Shortened LWB
Lowest Market Value=LWB

I may have a loose screw but I am hard pressed to believe that a "Properly Shortened LWB" is worth more than a fully optioned BB LWB? Maybe a plain Jane LWB but that is not what is stated. Also you have to put the value based on the buyers. A purist will not even look at a modified frame truck. But if one is looking for a nicely shortened LWB and doesn't care about the originality then he would be just fine in buying a shorthened LWB truck. We have to value our trucks based on the buyer and not the the seller. JMHO I think if one shorthens a LWB he needs to do it because that is what he wants and not what it will bring on the truck market someday. Keep this threas a going as I enjoy the different perspectives to this topic.
So what is the market value of my truck? It is a Cheyenne 10 with BB, PS, PB, AC, TH400, helper springs, sway bar, AM/FM radio, deluxe mirrors, cargo light, and maybe more I am forgetting. No tilt, No tach, No Posi. No RUST, No accidents, and No dents except tailgate. It has had one bad repaint and the clear has lifted on the hood, tops of fenders, and roof. Is this a rare truck?

1972 Cheyenne C10
Unrestored Original-3 Owner-RUST FREE Texas Truck
Big Block-TH400-PS-PB-AC-AM/FM Radio
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #28
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

IMO , your truck is worth what someone will pay for it. may it be a short bed with no options or a long bed full of options.....this applies with everything, not just vehicles......thinks about things you have baught or had to have that nobody else would have taken for free................i understand there is a market value, but all i am saying is that its only worth what you sell it for.. does this make sence? or am i reading the question wrong

Last edited by bad6772; 10-03-2007 at 08:21 PM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #29
70cst

I would say a "a Cheyenne 10 with BB, PS, PB, AC, TH400, helper springs, sway bar, AM/FM radio, deluxe mirrors, cargo light" is more rare. No rust and no dents with a solid bed makes it even more valuable. I would like to know what this is worth. Ok all you truck experts lets here some estimates. .

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Last edited by 70cst; 10-03-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #30
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHRS View Post
So what is the market value of my truck? It is a Cheyenne 10 with BB, PS, PB, AC, TH400, helper springs, sway bar, AM/FM radio, deluxe mirrors, cargo light, and maybe more I am forgetting. No tilt, No tach, No Posi. No RUST, No accidents, and No dents except tailgate. It has had one bad repaint and the clear has lifted on the hood, tops of fenders, and roof. Is this a rare truck?
The exact market value of any of these trucks is a difficult formula to pin down --- but a 1/2 ton with a big block and fully loaded like yours,(even a long bed) is a rare truck for this era
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #31
streetstar

I will guess your truck to be worth 8k as it is - and 15-17k with a full restoration

with an equivalent factory short bed being worth 2k more both ways

The value of these trucks goes up all the time , too, --- your particular truck would probably be worth more as a restoration with a few custom bolt ons that help the driveability or appearance--- than as a full bore hot rod. The Chevelle guys do this a lot -- mothball their 396's and install a 454 or 502 for more go-power, and there's definitely no crime in dropped spindles and springs and some sweet 18" TT2's

(i am not a professional appraiser of anything but a Bud Light's "born on date" though)

Last edited by streetstar; 10-03-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #32
Ackattack

I too agree with frizzle about the value ladder

Case in point. My 72 LWB is for sale, it seems that I've had relatively little interest in it. I think the number 1 reason for that is because it's a longbed. It doesn't seem to mater how nice it is, people want a shortbed. A shortbed whether its original or cut down.

I decided I too wanted a shortbed. But rather than cutting down my LWB, i searched for a new frame mainly cause I also wanted coil springs. I initially was looking for a LWB to cut down, but happened to find a SWB for a somewhat reasonable price (I still think I probably overpaid for it) so I picked it up.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #33
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Frizzle has clearly summed it up. The only reason clean long beds are seeing a spike in value is shortbeds are getting more expensive to buy or build.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #34
WorkinLonghorn

I say go for it.And if you or the lucky next owner wants to use it for anything,he can just get one of these;
http://www.slickcar.com/bigshot.asp?ProductID=3977
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #35
streetstar

The value ladder is a little skewed- Frizz is close though

Condition and options being the same

I agree totally that a factory short bed is worth more than a factory long bed.

However, an unmolested LWB should be second on the list

with a cut or converted longbed bringing up the rear-- maybe not as much, one with a frame swap, but definitely, one with a cut frame is not worth as much as an unmolested long wheelbase
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #36
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I too agree with frizzle about the value ladder

Case in point. My 72 LWB is for sale, it seems that I've had relatively little interest in it. .
You also have a tpi engine installed, its painted mint green and has roll pans --- all of which combined has made it a niche vehicle rather than one with more widespread appeal. It will sell, it just needs the right buyer
Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #37
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
You also have a tpi engine installed, its painted mint green and has roll pans --- all of which combined has made it a niche vehicle rather than one with more widespread appeal. It will sell, it just needs the right buyer
Yeah, I know...just not soon enough. And the color is actually VERY close to the orginal "Medium Green"
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #38
wibilly

personaly i would rather have a unmolested lwb bb truck just to have an unmolested surviver but i would not hesatate to buy a shortened one as long as it was done right and went down the road straight. however if i had said unmolested bb lwb i would not alter it but find a less desireable truck to shorten. nothing wrong with having more than one
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #39
energiesource

Look, here is what it comes down to.
If you're 'restoring' the truck, to stock everything, obv. if its a longbed, it should stay a long bed.

If you're making it custom, then by all means, do whatever you want just do it right and tasteful.
You can get the same amount of money either way, one will just appeal to a different crowd.
energiesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #40
Husker

All these lowered trucks that sit on the ground have the frames notched out in the rear.
When you change cabs it is no longer factory original, motors etc.
If you want to customize YOUR truck Go For It. Just do it Proper.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #41
sameyrasmea72

JMO, I would never shorten a frame. It would drive me crazy just thinking about it after the fact. In another 10-15 years or so it might be an issue, but there are just too many short frames around now to cut one down.

I would start with your 72 BB LWB and find a SWB frame. In the long run you will be happier. The value of the truck when finished would not be an issue to me, it would be more Psychological to me.

Both of my projects the black one and the mustard (current) started out as highly optioned BB cheyenne supers and ended up on short frames.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 AM   #42
corn

I dont think it will be any harder to sell than a long bed would be. I suggest you document all the modifications done to it. I know if I were looking to buy it & I could see pics of the work as it was being done & it looked well done, Id be more comfortable about those mods.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #43
ChevyDude

Let me speak from experience here. I looked for over a year for a reasonably priced 68' shortbed. After a year and seeing a few over priced rusted buckets and lots of EXPENSIVE 68' swb's, I decided my project was not going to be a "Back to Stock" resto, but was going to be more on the lines of a full blown resto mod. So....what does it really matter if my LWB frame is modified to a SWB frame. To me, as long as it was done right, and it was (Thanks Glock), it makes no difference to me at all. My truck, a 68' RUST FREE LWB was purchased for $960.00 and delivered to my shop. Try buying a 68' rust free shortbed for that price...you can't! When I bought my straight rust free 71' that was in primer and ready to paint...(Lil' Red), I paid $5 grand for her. She was an incredible unmolested 71'...but she was 5K. A lot more $ went into my 71' before she was finished. This time I started with an investment of $960....and can buy a Tremec 5 speed and 383 small block for the 4 thousand I saved buying a longbed.

It all comes down to "Do what you want"! It's your truck. If you want to do a exact factory assembly line restoration...do it with an un cut frame, that I totally agree on. But if you are building a Hot Rod bad ass truck don't give it a worry, and grab a hold of that PLASMA cutter. Just my honest opinion.

peace out

Alex
Attached Images

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 10-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #44
OLDIRON69

I say find a SWB frame and build it up from there. If your truck was a $1,000 roller LWB I'd say cut it and go on with life. Your truck is too nice to go choppin' on. My .02
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #45
bcanini
"Taste It"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDIRON69 View Post
I say find a SWB frame and build it up from there. If your truck was a $1,000 roller LWB I'd say cut it and go on with life. Your truck is too nice to go choppin' on. My .02
I agree 100% thats too nice of a truck to be choppin on!!!!! I just seen a SWB on craigs here in Oregon last week I think. Fairly cheap.

B

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #46
prg machine

Don't chop.
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #47
72highlander
Sophomore Member

rare doesn't always mean desirable, if two trucks identical were sitting beside each other, one long and one a short cut down from a long, i'd rather have the short and think 90% of the rest of the world too. just my .02

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #48
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highlander View Post
rare doesn't always mean desirable
Old dodge trucks are rare.... but
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #49
streetstar

There are still a lot of short bed donor frames out there, --- with the price of a frame off being between 10-15k or more, why not suck it up and use an uncut frame?

I have been pretty vocal about this in the forums, but you know what? I have a 1969 GMC LWB with leaf springs that came with a 307 and zero convenience options ----- hell yes i am thinking about chopping the frame --how undesirable is that option package in some people's eyes? - my particular truck may be one of the many that would be better off as a clean hot rod than a resto ----and its low mileage and has a cleaner body than my 'o6 F 150----------- but -- and this is a big butt --- its definitely not a CST, Cheyenne, or Sierra Grande ---- If i had one of those -- i would leave it as whatever the glovebox tag said it should be, those are beautiful and valuable trucks-long or short.

Last edited by streetstar; 10-04-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #50
70cst

[QUOTE but -- and this is a big butt --- its definitely not a CST, Cheyenne, or Sierra Grande ---- If i had one of those -- i would leave it as whatever the glovebox tag said it should be, those are beautiful and valuable trucks-long or short.[/QUOTE]

streetstar...you are right on target. Amen! Bingo! Halleluiah...we have a winner.