The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
Thealien

Re: They listened lets use it!

Anthony.

I just finished a 4X4 one, Critter is working on one and I know there is at least another one with an NV4500. I am in Brockton just over an hour away. Most of my build is in a few threads if you search my name for posts (some is in my signature also).
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #27
Juiced06GTO

Good to hear! I would love to come check it out sometime. I test fitted the motor last week and realized that the motor mount pads need to be moved back about 1 3/4" and the front cross member needs to be notched. I picked up some material so I can get started on the welding, but went on vacation last week so work on it has stopped. I also have most of the harness for the 5.3 torn apart, hoping to get that all rewired by this weekend.

I am hoping to get the truck on the road by the end of august. Thanks for all the great info!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #28
blazercrazy70

This is great I am looking for a LS and tranny now maybe this will help with the hiccups that come with these kinda of upgrades. Everything I do takes twice as much and as long because I screw it up and have to do it over.
blazercrazy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
matt92man

This is what we needed! I am in the starting phase of putting an LS 5.3/4L60E into a 68 Shortbed that I bought w/o engine or trans in pieces. I'm sure this will help me! Still working on the frame and suspension right now, but am getting close to where I need to be for setting in the engine and trans. I went with the ECE kit for the mounts. Has anyone else used this kit? Anything I need to know about it? I will probably wait to start the wiring until after I get the cab finished and painted, then set it back on. Anyone have recomendations for a fuel tank/pump setup for a shortbed, leafspring truck?
matt92man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #30
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92man View Post
This is what we needed! I am in the starting phase of putting an LS 5.3/4L60E into a 68 Shortbed that I bought w/o engine or trans in pieces. I'm sure this will help me! Still working on the frame and suspension right now, but am getting close to where I need to be for setting in the engine and trans. I went with the ECE kit for the mounts. Has anyone else used this kit? Anything I need to know about it? I will probably wait to start the wiring until after I get the cab finished and painted, then set it back on. Anyone have recomendations for a fuel tank/pump setup for a shortbed, leafspring truck?
I'm using the ECE engine mounts, and a CPP tubular trans crossmember.

No issues with the mounts, just need to drill 4 holes in the stock front crossmember.

It didn't come with bolts that go into the block, but it's otherwise complete.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #31
matt92man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I'm using the ECE engine mounts, and a CPP tubular trans crossmember.

No issues with the mounts, just need to drill 4 holes in the stock front crossmember.

It didn't come with bolts that go into the block, but it's otherwise complete.
Ya, it looks pretty complete. I have already drilled the holes and am waiting until I get done POR15ing the frame and cross members before I bolt them in. I just used the stock mount bolts on the block plates. The heads were a little large, but I think they will work. I used the stock hole location on the frame and drilled the holes in the crossmember accordingly. Will that put it in a good position? Will I need to think about moving it forward or back any? Also thinking about using the stock trans crossmember for now, although that will be determined once I set everything in there.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #32
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Anyone have recomendations for a fuel tank/pump setup for a shortbed, leafspring truck?
You have three choices.... well, maybe more, but these are what come to mind.....

* Use the stock in-cab tank with an external pump. You will need to install a return line back into the tank.

* Use an 87-91 Blazer or Surburban tank that mounts behind the rear axle between the frame. These were TBI trucks and already have the fuel pump in-tank, so you can use an inexpensive OEM pump.

* Use a custom made aluminum tank with an in-tank pump.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #33
Jim_PA

Quote:
Ya, it looks pretty complete. I have already drilled the holes and am waiting until I get done POR15ing the frame and cross members before I bolt them in. I just used the stock mount bolts on the block plates. The heads were a little large, but I think they will work. I used the stock hole location on the frame and drilled the holes in the crossmember accordingly. Will that put it in a good position? Will I need to think about moving it forward or back any? Also thinking about using the stock trans crossmember for now, although that will be determined once I set everything in there.

Thanks for the feedback.
I don't think there's a whole lot of room at the lower bracket to move it front or back because of the way it bolts to the front crossmember, but it would be nice if the engine sat back another 2-3" for better weight distribution.

My electric fans will clear just fine with them in the straight-up position.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #34
matt92man

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
You have three choices.... well, maybe more, but these are what come to mind.....

* Use the stock in-cab tank with an external pump. You will need to install a return line back into the tank.

* Use an 87-91 Blazer or Surburban tank that mounts behind the rear axle between the frame. These were TBI trucks and already have the fuel pump in-tank, so you can use an inexpensive OEM pump.

I hadn't thought about the newer Blazer/Burban. They should fit with the leaf spring truck not having that rear panhard crossmember? Obviously, I could add what ever is needed to make the mounting work. I assume that I would also need to upgrade that OE pump because it was just for TBI and not for SFI.

Good idea, I will have to look into that alittle further.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
matt92man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I don't think there's a whole lot of room at the lower bracket to move it front or back because of the way it bolts to the front crossmember, but it would be nice if the engine sat back another 2-3" for better weight distribution.

My electric fans will clear just fine with them in the straight-up position.
That is probably true. It has been a while since I driller the holes for the mounts and didn't think about the pads not sitting where they would need to on the crossmemeber.

Are you going to run the OE style electric fans and set them up computer controlled?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #36
glock35ipsc

Quote:
They should fit with the leaf spring truck not having that rear panhard crossmember?
They will fit even with the panhard bar.

Quote:
I assume that I would also need to upgrade that OE pump because it was just for TBI and not for SFI.
An ACDelco EP381 fits in the 87 truck and 87-91 Blazer/Burb sending units, and provides more than the 58 PSI needed for the LS engines. They run about $70 and are available over the counter at any parts house.

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 07-22-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #37
matt92man

Quote:
They will fit even with the panhard bar.

As for the pump, an ACDelco EP381 fits in the 87 truck and 87-91 Blazer/Burb sending units, and provides more than the 58 PSI needed for the LS engines.
Perfect! That is why we needed this! That is the info I need to get moving further on getting my frame so I can work on getting the engine/trans set in!

Thanks for the quick response too. Now to find a tank, Hmmm?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #38
glock35ipsc

Believe it or not, many on here have had good luck (and good prices) buying new at Advance Auto, O'Rileys, and Auto Zone. I got my pair of 87 tanks from rockauto.com delivered for a few $$ less than I could go to town and buy from one of the above three.

Take advantage of the new forum to make a new post with future questions. That way they wont get buried here and others can see them too.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #39
soule64

Quote:

My truck is a shortbed/leafspring and I used a stock tank and sender for an 87 c-10 (I think they were actually called R-10?). Ordered it from Rock Auto for like $100 I think. It has the baffle/sump for the EP-381 and fits like the original. Only 16 gallons though.
soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #40
glock35ipsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule64 View Post
My truck is a shortbed/leafspring and I used a stock tank and sender for an 87 c-10 (I think they were actually called R-10?). Ordered it from Rock Auto for like $100 I think. It has the baffle/sump for the EP-381 and fits like the original. Only 16 gallons though.
In your 76, right? His is a 68, not sure how it would fit.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #41
Jim_PA

Quote:
Are you going to run the OE style electric fans and set them up computer controlled?
I am running these, and yes -- they will be controlled by the computer. The wiring harness I paid extra for is well worth the money: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-72...Q5fAccessories

One fan will go on with "low", and both will come on with "high" from the computer (at least, that's what I hope to do)

Now, if you want true low/high operation, you'll need a third relay. I'm still kind of wondering if I want to go through that or not.

They also offer an LS swap radiator for 67-72:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-72...Q5fAccessories

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I think he gave me a discount because I went through "ask seller a question" on ebay, and asked for a price quote.

Last edited by Jim_PA; 07-22-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #42
soule64

Quote:
In your 76, right? His is a 68, not sure how it would fit.
Doh! I missed the '68 part. Sorry about that!
soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #43
glock35ipsc

That's OK. Since this forum opened up, I'm still editing my posts a lot! I haven't quite got the "yo, these engines can be swapped into more vehicles than a square body!" in my head yet.

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 07-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #44
smokinstang70

Can't wait to get some info from you guys.... I have a 71 c-10, a 2006 5.3L & 4L60E, motor mounts, trans crossmember, and a lot of enthusiasm about the build. Hope I can leverage some lessons learned from you guys!!!

Working on modifying my harness as we speak. Also looking for ideas on air filters... using stock airbox or going aftermarket.

Look forward to talking with a lot of you in the near future... and can't wait to see some pictures and follow build threads.

Thanks guys
smokinstang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #45
Juiced06GTO

I will start a build thread as soon as I can get back on the truck. I am still trying to come up with ideas about how to modify the motor mounts and cross member....
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #46
shaunatk

Good to see this dedicated forum. I'll share my experience with installing a 5.3l into a 41 GMC, mounted on an S-10 frame.

Last edited by shaunatk; 08-05-2010 at 08:30 AM.
shaunatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #47
G&R's57GMC

I'm at the point of installing a 5.3/4L60E in my 57 GMC. Currently the combo is setting on top of the frame waiting for me to slip it into place and fab mounts.

I'll start a thread on the 47-59 forum on the entire project in the future and post the engine install here.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #48
Groyd

I've got the EZ chassis swap on my 1951/s10. It came with s/10 to 350 SBC motor mounts. I put LS to 350 SBC plates on the engine. There is a pretty good gap that I'm going to have to shim between the two. I'm not too wild about it. Has anyone ever shimmed up a gap like that on motor mounts?

[IMG][/IMG]

It did feel good just to see what it looked like mounted up though.

1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote