The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #26
Hart_Rod

Re: Tow/Haul mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Wasted, any idea what the 'Manual mode' with 2 switches would do? Just wondering.
On the A6's, Camaro/Corvette anyways, one activates the TUTD when in "D" and the other it activates the paddle shifters when in "S" or Sport mode. At least I think that's how it works.

EDIT: After rereading above, I think switch one activates the sport mode (changes the transmission tune) but transmission will still shift it self. Switch 2, activates the paddle shifters such that you can manually shift the transmission. Just my interpretations of how it works, LOL.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
On the A6's, Camaro/Corvette anyways, one activates the TUTD when in "D" and the other it activates the paddle shifters when in "S" or Sport mode. At least I think that's how it works.

EDIT: After rereading above, I think switch one activates the sport mode (changes the transmission tune) but transmission will still shift it self. Switch 2, activates the paddle shifters such that you can manually shift the transmission. Just my interpretations of how it works, LOL.
The second part I know is true, as I know you can manually enable the switch and gain TUTD to run paddle shifters on swap cars....but what I don't get is:

Is the GM tap-shift system one that allows for the paddle shifters to override the set shift patterns (i.e., if you don't shift, it will before you damage the engine), OR the kind that allows the simulated "full manual" situation, like how a reverse pattern FM valve body might? (i.e., 1st is first until you shift...even if it means over-revving or essentially being stupid).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The second part I know is true, as I know you can manually enable the switch and gain TUTD to run paddle shifters on swap cars....but what I don't get is:

Is the GM tap-shift system one that allows for the paddle shifters to override the set shift patterns (i.e., if you don't shift, it will before you damage the engine), OR the kind that allows the simulated "full manual" situation, like how a reverse pattern FM valve body might? (i.e., 1st is first until you shift...even if it means over-revving or essentially being stupid).
On my Camaro SS when in Sport mode and with the paddle shifters activated, you are in manual mode. The computer tuning does define some "safe" RPM ranges and will downshift or prevent downshifts once you get outside of these. I'm sure there are algorithms used to determine this. I think, you can change these all within the tune, but I'm still trying to figure this out....LOL.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

I've never enabled the manual mode on any of my stock PCM swaps, so I can't speak to that functionality. However, I'd imagine it's similar to my Megashift, in which it simply enables tap-shift mode....which by the way I think is an over-rated gimmick.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
I've never enabled the manual mode on any of my stock PCM swaps, so I can't speak to that functionality. However, I'd imagine it's similar to my Megashift, in which it simply enables tap-shift mode....which by the way I think is an over-rated gimmick.
I agree. About the only good use of the Tap-shift mode is the ability to keep the tranny from kicking into OD when you are cruising at the crossover speed...at least in the A6's, since you cannot manually select all gear positions.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
Billett

I don't plan on using it a ton either, but I'd rather have it set up before I get a tune done instead of having to go back later. Thinking about using one of these so i know when the performance mode is on. Pretty sure it will work...

Amazon.com : Silver Metal Stainless Steel Red LED... Amazon.com : Silver Metal Stainless Steel Red LED...
The ability for manual shifting is neat, but i can't I've ever felt the need for paddle shifters or the like. I prefer full auto or a stick. My mothers Audi has the bump shifter ability and the only time i use it is when it takes off from a stop. For some reason it wants to immediately shift into second before it even moves...
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

I use the tow/haul/performance mode quite a bit. I usually set it up as "drag" mode. Higher shift points, firmer/faster shifts, and NO torque management.

Billett, I don't believe that will work for you unless you use a BCM. There is no feedback from the PCM that it's in performance mode. The BCM is what powers the light on the dash in trucks that have it. The button itself will work, but it won't light up when in perf mode and turn off when not.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #33
Billett

I use mine as a DD and hope to get better mileage out of it. This would be more for the occasional pull against my brothers' vehicles.

As far as the switch goes, i know they make momentary switches that use the 12v side to light the ring by moving a mechanical switch on the inside every tinge the button is pressed. Honestly though, i just wanted to know when it was on or off and i feel like the changes will be drastic enough that I'll KNOW when its on. otherwise what's the point right? Haha
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote