The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Hagerty's or Grundy's insurance which do you have?
Hagerty's 25 48.08%
Grundy's 13 25.00%
other 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #26
jocko

Re: Hagerty's or Grundy's which one and why?

I was insured by Grundy for my 66 with an agreed value policy. $15K-ish was a few hundred a year - they said it was ok to drive it to work occasionally, etc, even across the country staying at hotels - BUT, when I was not travelling with it, it HAD to be in a lockable garage. So, if it's a DD or you don't have a lockable garage, your options are very limited (based on shopping around before I chose Grundy). Anyway, I felt they had good service, reasonable approach, etc.

After years and years with State Farm with ZERO claims, they cornholed me like a red-headed stepchild on a 57 Bel Air for an accident where it was the other guy's fault (unfortunately, he had State Farm also...) - I will never, ever use them again.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #27
Ackattack

I have Hagerty and have for quite a few years. $0 deductible and no mileage limit (not that I drive it much). I had a claim a few years ago on my 68 and they came out and looked it over and gave me a fair deal on the adjustment (I still haven't taken the time to actually get it fixed)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #28
PAWS 72

Me and the wife are switching to Hagerty's the first of the year with our truck.

Last year I heard about a guy in Southern Middle Tenn. that had Hagerty's with a bunch(15-20) and the building that he had them stored caught fire a totalled all of them.He had each one separately for some amount of each car.
The adjuster came out and looked around for a while, talked to a few neighbors and who ever else.then a few days later he called the guy and asked what was all in the building pertaining to each vehicle,the guy told him. The adjuster called back the next day and asked when they could talk and go over a few things to settle.
They sat down at the guys house house and got down to the numbers and the adjuster said "Oh by the way,we are covering the building also because one of the cars had a electrical short according to the fire chief".
I don't know what the final numbers were but Hagerty's covered alot that the guy thought would be covered by his homeowners coverage. He paid one big deductable for the car that started the fire but that was it.

I forget what all people said he got paid for but it was more and better than our usual auto insuranse.They say he has since switched his DD's to Hagerty's.

This is a story that I have heard from more than one person at diffrent shows when insurance comes up. True or not I don't know.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #29
big d's red67

I have Hagerty on my 67 I have used them on all my cars over the years. Last Year on 12-30-11 my son was driving our 72 GMC Sprint[El Camino] home from the body shop where we are working on my 67 hit a curb went down into the draneage ditch and rolled it over, thank god he was ok. Called Hagarty started the claim by the middle of the next week they paid the agreed amount on the car and reimbursed me for the tow fees. They have earned my bussiness for ever. There rates are good with no deduct and mileage limit.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I know this much... it doesnt matter what you pay for insurance if the company wont honor your claim. My buddy had his awesome BB 70 El Camino stolen from his house last year. Hagerty paid off completley immediately. No question. My GMC is with Haggerty.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have Grundy, and it has been a pleasant experience.

I was told by a Hagerty rep. that there was to be NOTHING hauled in the bed. No cooler, EZ up, chairs, zip, nada, nothing. It may have been the rep, but it's something I would check out, if you have them.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
big d's red67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
I was told by a Hagerty rep. that there was to be NOTHING hauled in the bed. No cooler, EZ up, chairs, zip, nada, nothing. It may have been the rep, but it's something I would check out, if you have them.
When my Sprint was totaled they paid for the items that were damaged I had in the bed.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #33
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

I appreciate all the responses and info guys. Well just got off phone with hagerty's. Price i was quoted was with exact same numbers i used for grundy's quote. Hagerty's would be about $127.00 dollars more a year. I asked both hagerty's and grundy's same questions and got same answers. I have a friend with a 66 pro street nova that got damaged and grundy's did them right and paid with no problems. I believe both grundy's and hagerty's are good companies. It may just come down to personal preference.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #34
Bill72

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyp View Post
I just got mine insured a few weeks ago and went with Safeco. $158 a year for $10000 stated value coverage. Garaged non dd. Given the previous posts, I think I need to make sure how they cover claims. Guess I didn't totally understand stated value vs agreed value.
Posted via Mobile Device

Had Safeco on a 1 of 46 1996 Firehawk. In the case of a totaled vehicle they use a company called CCC Valuscope to determine value regardless of if it was stated/agreed value or not. CCC Valuscope has multiple class action lawsuits against them and has paid multi-million dollar settlements for a long list of unethical practices, including doctoring their comps. I busted them on this exact thing as well as other lies when they submitted comps from the internet that I had printed out and was also using. They had doctored everything but the VIN. If it had been a vehicle with much higher production it would have been very difficult to catch them. All of their history is known by Safeco and they still use them. Safeco joined in the lies until they realized I had proof. Safeco has good rates partially because they knowingly are participating in unethical business practices. I gladly pay higher rates to a company with higher standards. In the years I was with Safeco I never spoke to an honest person.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
chevy72blu

There was a longish threat on insurance a while back but I never did make a decision.

I am about to have my 72 back on the road with an LS1/4l60e and plan to DD it. Are there any good options out there for a DD vehicle (maybe 6-7k miles a year, if that). Value is probably around 12k in todays market (with the 7 grand I will have spent on the drivetrain swap). Stored in a locked garage at my home.

My agent for my our other car (State farm) said it was no problem, but I am sure this is a stated value policy and I would be KBB fighting pricing in the event of a loss. Biggest fear is fire - I figure if the truck is totaled in a wreck I wont be walking away from it.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #36
Z10

Grundy...... about 6 years ago, I was driving my 69 Camaro when I was rear ended by a Ford Expedition ( damn Ford). About $2500 in damage and a very sad owner. Grundy had an adjuster at my home within 5 days to inspect the car and I had a check for the full amount with a promise that if it was more they would take care of it. I actually had enough extra to have a small rust spot fixed. My Grundy insurance for $40k of agreed upon value runs me about $300 annually for full coverage and -0- deductible. So, unless your car/truck is a daily driver, I would highly recommend Grundy.

PS: I'll soon be moving my 72 GMC to Grundy and will probably insure it for about $20k.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #37
mygmctruck

I don't know if the type and make of vehical matters but I have Haggerty on my 69 Mach 1 Mustang , agreed value is $35,000 and my yearly premium is $400.00 , from the sounds of it , I may be better of with Grundy .
mygmctruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #38
allchevy58

Been with J.C. Taylor for 20 some years. Someone broke off door mirror and threw it in the back seat, called in a claim, they told me to buy a new one and sent in a bill. Check was in the mail a week later. Can't put the trucks on classic policy if you haul or tow anything. Called Hagerty, Grundy and others, they all said the same, one company told me it can't even have a hitch on it.
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
allchevy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by allchevy58 View Post
Been with J.C. Taylor for 20 some years. Someone broke off door mirror and threw it in the back seat, called in a claim, they told me to buy a new one and sent in a bill. Check was in the mail a week later. Can't put the trucks on classic policy if you haul or tow anything. Called Hagerty, Grundy and others, they all said the same, one company told me it can't even have a hitch on it.
I am going to build a 4x4 trardrop trailer for my truck. Grundy said no problem, as long as it's insured by them.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #40
bigsnookmaster

I have Grundy's. I think they or Hagerty's are very similar, and are very honest.
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #41
C5Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
I have Hagery. never made a claim, but when I'v spoke with them they are always very professional and helpful. I pay about $130/ yr for $5k coverage, no deductible, unlimited miles. The only restriction is no hauling, I've not checked on what exactly that entails though.
as above but $15,000 coverage for $250/yr
C5Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #42
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
Being using nationwide classic insuranse for a while and just realized how much i'm being overcharged. I am weighing my options between hagerty's and grundy's and have quotes from both. Please let me know good or bad if you have stories dealing with these.
I use Grundy because they cover me in the pits at the drags. My 67 is valued at $65,000, costs $356.00/year through Grundy with unlimited mileage so long as I do not take it shopping (parked in a mall parking lot) or drive it to work( secondary transportation).
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #43
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
I am going to build a 4x4 trardrop trailer for my truck. Grundy said no problem, as long as it's insured by them.
Sounds cool.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote