The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #26
lasher78

Re: need some advice on welding up holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
There are many brands of epoxy primer, but you must have the proper personal protective equpiment to spray that type of primer. What brand to use will somewhat be dictated by your budget. After you patch your floors, clean and thoroughly blast them. If you are thorough with your blast job, all you will have to do, is blow away all the dust with compressed air, and spray your primer. Another word of caution. The dust from sandblasting can be extremely dangerous and even deadly. Especially with silica sand. Also the silica sand residue is not compatable with some epoxy primers.
ok i am going to try using play sand that i will dry and sift before i put in blaster. but i am gathering i prob need to buy a canister respreator to be safe. i do have a automotive spray gun somewhere just got to find it. i want to use some kind of primer that doesnt cost to much as i am going to brush on bedliner material for the final coat until i can afford one of those rubber mats that covers the entire floor. so do i just go to oriely's and ask for primer? how long do i have to get it primered after i blast it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #27
lasher78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rudestude View Post
why not por15 it and call it a day , I have used this stuff with great results.
i have asked about por15 tryin to find out more about it. i tried looking it up and what i can see is that it is a multi step process and im looking for easy one step. now if im wrong please tell me, cause everywhere i read people are talking about por15 so i would like to hear it from someone that has actually used it and describe the process that rhey used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #28
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher78 View Post
i have asked about por15 tryin to find out more about it. i tried looking it up and what i can see is that it is a multi step process and im looking for easy one step. now if im wrong please tell me, cause everywhere i read people are talking about por15 so i would like to hear it from someone that has actually used it and describe the process that rhey used.
Posted via Mobile Device
just follow the directions, they do it that way for a reason.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #29
pdxhall

Instead of sand I have been using #50 crushed glass with great results on my floors and the bottom of my cab. Check my build thread. There are pics of the results.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #30
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher78 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The biggest contradiction is what you are trying to ask is this:

You're asking what is the BEST way to do it and recieveing good answers about quality products, BUT you then say you're looking for the cheapest and easiest because you don't want to put that much effort into it.
Sorry but you don't get both. if you want quality results, it'll take a fair amount of effort and some money.

The cheapest route would be to skip the sand blasting, use a disc grinder to clean the effected areas that need repairs, weld in your patches, grind the welds flush/smooth, apply some seam sealer, sand the other areas with 80 grit DA sander and cover with lacquer primer(that is the cheapest primer but has no moisture protection)
If you're going to cover with bedliner, there's no reason to finish out any smoother. Make sure to undercoat the bottom side of your patches to keep water from seeping up thru the floor.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
1rudestude

It is easy even though there is more than one step and you do not even need to sand / media blast just scrape sand wire brush whatever you prefer all loose material ( less of a mess than sand/media blasting) vacuum out treat with metal prep clean with cleaner let dry and coat I like to use spray gun but you can use a brush . as long as there is no rot out it will last for ever if there is rot out they have a mesh for those that cannot fabricate and weld I do both so I simply make the repair and coat
I have seen metal treated with this stuff sit outside for years with no further decay. hope this helps
1rudestude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #32
lasher78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rudestude View Post
It is easy even though there is more than one step and you do not even need to sand / media blast just scrape sand wire brush whatever you prefer all loose material ( less of a mess than sand/media blasting) vacuum out treat with metal prep clean with cleaner let dry and coat I like to use spray gun but you can use a brush . as long as there is no rot out it will last for ever if there is rot out they have a mesh for those that cannot fabricate and weld I do both so I simply make the repair and coat
I have seen metal treated with this stuff sit outside for years with no further decay. hope this helps
thanks think i got what i need...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
mud.man.rj

Man you guys are repairing a floor not the statue of Liberty, wow just weld it up and undercoat it or Por-15 it, get it over with and drive the truck.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
19666Trucker

My po rtv patches down with self tappers
Posted via Mobile Device
19666Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #35
lasher78

well i will just add this into this thread, if i do decied to blast the floor boards while im at it what do any of you guys think about rear half of frame and rearend including outside of drums. want to clean it up and get rust off should it be sand blasted or soda blasted?
Posted via Mobile Device