The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #26
tobytuttle

Smile Re: 1988 Crew Cab Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalmer81 View Post
I just purchased the lift for my truck! woot woot. I opted for the Superlift 3.5". Let the games begin! I went ahead and got the rear lift blocks, with it only being 3.5", shouldn't have any problems with axle wrap.

Attachment 900563

Next up on the list, some Stans headers and a port and polish job and maybe a new cam from Heath Diesel. Not going the turbo route, gonna try and make all you turbo guys wish you would of saved your $2400 that you spent on a Banks set up I am just kidding, i know i wont match a turbo, but i think i can come pretty close and save alot of money doing the headers setup! We shall see.
save your money and get real power with a RAT!!..thats what all gm trucks need.....go to sales and get a crate 454...be done with it!!!....IMO..(no disrespect on your plans)....Go see the boys at Jones driveline in biglake.......Timmy's good with all that
tobytuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
my4by2

Re: 1988 Crew Cab Build

His 6.2L will get him around just fine & get W-A-Y better gas mileage than ANY big block ever could.... The way he's building this truck, the 6.2L is the perfect motor for it.

Besides, with the skinny tires he wants to run - he'd never leave a stop light without spinning the wheels with a built big block...
my4by2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #28
JPalmer81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytuttle View Post
save your money and get real power with a RAT!!..thats what all gm trucks need.....go to sales and get a crate 454...be done with it!!!....IMO..(no disrespect on your plans)....Go see the boys at Jones driveline in biglake.......Timmy's good with all that
tobytuttle, I already have a 77 dodge 4x4 1 ton, 4" suspension, 33x12.5 with a 318 with a hot cam, aluminum heads, edelbrock RPM intake and 750 edelbrock carb, the only prob is the 5-8 mpgs!! This truck depending on how i drive could very well get a hair over 20 MPG'S!!!!!!!!!!!!! and around 10 pulling a heavy travel trailer. So no thanks on the RAT. Got my dodge for that.

My Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516872

"The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance"
JPalmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #29
joe231

Quote:
I just purchased the lift for my truck! woot woot. I opted for the Superlift 3.5". Let the games begin! I went ahead and got the rear lift blocks, with it only being 3.5", shouldn't have any problems with axle wrap.

Attachment 900563

Next up on the list, some Stans headers and a port and polish job and maybe a new cam from Heath Diesel. Not going the turbo route, gonna try and make all you turbo guys wish you would of saved your $2400 that you spent on a Banks set up I am just kidding, i know i wont match a turbo, but i think i can come pretty close and save alot of money doing the headers setup! We shall see.

Did you order the kit online?
I'm guessing that isn't an actual pic of the kit for your truck?
Your truck should have a Dana 60 up front and they only have 3 u-bolts, 2 on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The passenger side spring plate is attached to the pumpkin with bolts on the inboard side and a u-bolt around the axle tube on the outboard side...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #30
tobytuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4by2 View Post
His 6.2L will get him around just fine & get W-A-Y better gas mileage than ANY big block ever could.... The way he's building this truck, the 6.2L is the p

Besides, with the skinny tires he wants to run - he'd never leave a stop light without spinning the wheels with a built big block...
GAS MILEAGE? Whats that? 6.2's Are not all that in that department anyways...and a built up one also.....and then what do you get with all the money spent...nothing as reliable as a crate 454..and once again crew cabs atleast need 400hp
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #31
JPalmer81

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Did you order the kit online?
I'm guessing that isn't an actual pic of the kit for your truck?
Your truck should have a Dana 60 up front and they only have 3 u-bolts, 2 on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The passenger side spring plate is attached to the pumpkin with bolts on the inboard side and a u-bolt around the axle tube on the outboard side...
Posted via Mobile Device
I did order the kit online, this is just a generic pic, i made sure they had the kit. I will be ticked if they send me the wrong one, but i wouldnt think there would be too much room for error since all the 1 ton crews came with the dana 60's. They will be sending me a new one if its wrong

My Build Thread:

Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #32
JPalmer81

Quote:
GAS MILEAGE? Whats that? 6.2's Are not all that in that department anyways...and a built up one also.....and then what do you get with all the money spent...nothing as reliable as a crate 454..and once again crew cabs atleast need 400hp

6.2's arent known for there gas mileage???? I think a whole heck of a lot of people will disagree with that. If i were rich, and like buying lots of gas, i would have a built 454 in this truck or 502!!! Again, i am building this truck to pull a heavy travel trailer long distances and still get relatively good mileage.

My Build Thread:

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #33
tobytuttle

Quote:
tobytuttle, I already have a 77 dodge 4x4 1 ton, 4" suspension, 33x12.5 with a 318 with a hot cam, aluminum heads, edelbrock RPM intake and 750 edelbrock carb, the only prob is the 5-8 mpgs!! This truck depending on how i drive could very well get a hair over 20 MPG'S!!!!!!!!!!!!! and around 10 pulling a heavy travel trailer. So no thanks on the RAT. Got my dodge for that.
right on then ,no offense it was just my outlook on it all....and yes gas prices are up...
Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #34
JPalmer81

Quote:
right on then ,no offense it was just my outlook on it all....and yes gas prices are up...

And no offense taken I agree, cant beat the sound of a well built V8 any day of the week! I love V8's so dont think i am partial to diesels.

My Build Thread:

Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #35
tobytuttle

Quote:
And no offense taken I agree, cant beat the sound of a well built V8 any day of the week! I love V8's so dont think i am partial to diesels.
Thanks brother, like said before it was all my opinion...eitherway thats a clean pick-up... I had one a couple years back it was a 91 crew 700r4 truck that i was plannin on putting the 70's frontclip on and all the molding (clone a 77) but sold it instead...got it off the base here and it only had 57k orig miles....let me know if you need anything cause your local ,i know of alot of the 73-91 crews hidden ......pm me if wanted ,once again no offense
Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #36
JPalmer81

I will have to look you up when i get there. I come home for a few weeks in mid May, prob wont get too much done on the truck then, might get the lift installed. We are going down to Seward for 4 days and my wife is gonna want all my attention, and after 6 months being gone i will be glad to give her some attention, so we shall see. I plan on trying to hook up with joe231, he was interested in my topper, and i am interested in some wheels he has. Cant wait to get home for good in OCT and start ripping into this thing!

My Build Thread:

Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #37
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks brother, like said before it was all my opinion...eitherway thats a clean pick-up... I had one a couple years back it was a 91 crew 700r4 truck that i was plannin on putting the 70's frontclip on and all the molding (clone a 77) but sold it instead...got it off the base here and it only had 57k orig miles....let me know if you need anything cause your local ,i know of alot of the 73-91 crews hidden ......pm me if wanted ,once again no offense
thats what i want to do
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #38
JPalmer81

I have been emailing Bruce out at Stans Headers back and forth and he gave me some numbers on the headers with the 3" exhaust that I was really surprised with. Here it is, ignore the shipping stuff.

James, if I were to ship a set today the shipping cost would be $132.39 that price could change daily by a couple dollars plus or minus. The headers will fit the chassis without modifications they were designed on the same style trucks. 3" dual exhaust would be the best and an air box will just compliment the exhaust system. The gains you will get by doing this and reworking the pump will bring you within a 7 to 10 horsepower that banks gets with the turbo upgrades, at least it did several years ago, not sure if they have made any improvements on their turbo kits. Diesels thrive on being able to breath, the faster the exhaust exits the faster fresh fuel gets in, the air box and the exhaust work hand in hand and need each other to work well.

Thanks,

Bruce Reed

Manager

I would like everyones thoughts on this, as my plan is a home made port and polish job with a homemade enlarged airbox and the headers that Stans offers with some true 3" exaust all the way out the back probably through some 3" glass packs. If I am right in my thinking, if i replace the fan with a high output electric fan, then i will be even if not above the Banks turbo set up???? and still all done for about $1000 cheaper than a brand new turbo!!!!! This would be ideal for me. Let me know some of your opinions on this.

My Build Thread:

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #39
joe231

Hmmm,

So your looking at about a grand for headers with ceramic coating and shipping plus $3-500 for dual 3 inch exhaust?
I'm sceptical that it will give that much of a power gain... I wonder if he has any dyno data to back it up?

I hope it works that well and can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
JPalmer81

Quote:
Hmmm,

So your looking at about a grand for headers with ceramic coating and shipping plus $3-500 for dual 3 inch exhaust?
I'm sceptical that it will give that much of a power gain... I wonder if he has any dyno data to back it up?

I hope it works that well and can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!!
Posted via Mobile Device
The price for the headers is $551 + $80 for chrome + $132 shipping=$763, In the auto shop on base in anchorage we have a top of the line pipe bender, so you can check the $2-$300 off the list for exhaust, prob about $100 in materials, including the glass packs, and my time, and the airbox will be made by myself as well. So i am thinking, if i get the fan, which could be $200+ depending on what i go with i will still be $1000 below a new banks setup, and my setup will be new equipment as well, So if i did all this and it put me even with a turbo without a turbo, That would be amazing in my book. I am talking with Joe Heath at Heath diesel as well about the camshaft they offer for the 6.2, so I am thinking you can squeeze quite a bit of power out of these before you turbo charge them. If i did all this and added a turbo down the road, I think that would turn out pretty well too.

My Build Thread:

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #41
joe231

To me paying for chrome on headers, up here especially, is a waste of money.
I'd paint them before I would chrome them, just my opinion...
I'm wondering if any of the local coaters do the ceramic coating?

That's awesome about the exhaust bender on post!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #42
JPalmer81

Well, i was thinking about just painting them myself, and they want over $300 for the ceramic!!! Are there any ceramic guys up in alaska? if there is i will probably go that route. And since alaska doest use salt on the roads, chrome would hold up pretty good i would think, unless your thinking about the heat issue. I dont know enough about chrome to make an educated guess on it. Yeah, the auto shops on post have EVERYTHING you can imagine to work on your cars. I havent been to the one at fort rich yet but most of them have paint booths and everything. I know they have the bender and the lifts, those 2 things right there will make doing any kind of mod so much better!

My Build Thread:

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #43
my4by2

Agree 100% - please don't chrome your headers..... I'd either paint them myself with some high-temp paint, or have them professionally ceramic coated.

Not really sure if that motor honestly needs 3" dual exhaust either... Personally I'd probably run a 2-1/2" system with a good cross-over & some MagnaFlow mufflers - glass packs may be cheap, but they're not gonna sound as good on a diesel in my mind.

As for the air box - there are kits on the market for that motor if I'm not mistaken, but a custom one is always nice too.
D60 + 14-bolt FF w/ Eaton posi + disc brakes
Skyjacker 2.5" full spring lift w/ Nitro shocks
Custom paint + interior
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=435722
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #44
JPalmer81

Quote:
Agree 100% - please don't chrome your headers..... I'd either paint them myself with some high-temp paint, or have them professionally ceramic coated.

Not really sure if that motor honestly needs 3" dual exhaust either... Personally I'd probably run a 2-1/2" system with a good cross-over & some MagnaFlow mufflers - glass packs may be cheap, but they're not gonna sound as good on a diesel in my mind.

As for the air box - there are kits on the market for that motor if I'm not mistaken, but a custom one is always nice too.

Okay, so chrome is out! I have been looking for the airbox kits for it, maybe i am looking in the wrong place. A friend of mine has all the welders i need, plus they have some nice equipment in the weld shop too so i am thinking i might go that route. Seems like these companies want so much money for a bigger airbox anyways, so if i have the tools to do one myself i will.

My Build Thread:

Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #45
my4by2

Try this:
http://bankspower.com/products/show/
Not exactly a "cold-air" kit like I thought they offered, but not bad either & a step up at least.

Or you can go with something universal - like this:
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/...0P%2FU&cID=177
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #46
joe231

I'm gonna do some checking on the ceramic coating up here.
I'll let you know what I find...

They may not add salt to the roads, but there is plenty of salt in the air.
Rust is still a big issue around Anchorage.

I think POR makes a high temperature exhaust paint, I'll have to look again...

Edit:
Here it is in grey,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/POI-FMGP

Aluminum,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/POI-P2P

And black,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/POI-BVP

I've heard good things about it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by joe231; 04-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #47
JPalmer81

Quote:
Try this:
http://bankspower.com/products/show/
Not exactly a "cold-air" kit like I thought they offered, but not bad either & a step up at least.

Or you can go with something universal - like this:
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/...0P%2FU&cID=177

I looked at the kits, the Banks kit is CRAP! but on the other hand, the alligator one looks pretty good, i like their approach alot better, putting the filter closer to where the air is actually entering at and letting it "straighten" out before it goes into the intake. Think i could fab one of these up for cheaper than $255 though(thats the 4" system), but was unaware of this company, so i really appreciate it. This forum is invaluable!

My Build Thread:

Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #48
JPalmer81

Quote:
I'm gonna do some checking on the ceramic coating up here.
I'll let you know what I find...

They may not add salt to the roads, but there is plenty of salt in the air.
Rust is still a big issue around Anchorage.

I think POR makes a high temperature exhaust paint, I'll have to look again...

Edit:
Here it is in grey,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/POI-FMGP

Aluminum,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/POI-P2P

And black,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/POI-BVP

I've heard good things about it...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have used POR before, it is a great paint, i would be happy with some black headers! Thanks for the links joe231! BTW, i am still interested in your wheels!

My Build Thread:

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #49
joe231

Quote:
I have used POR before, it is a great paint, i would be happy with some black headers! Thanks for the links joe231! BTW, i am still interested in your wheels!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #50
JPalmer81

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure what the "thumbs" means, but okay

My Build Thread: