The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Frame ~ Powder Coat Or Paint ?

I always use a respirator when applying POR 15, whether spraying it or brushing it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #27
mike16

just for the record, usualy you want to put linseed oil inside tubes before you weld them together to prevent internal rust. where welds can be affected by oil you weld them together then drill a small hole and fill the tube with linseed oil let it soak for a while and then drain it out. home built aircraft builders have done this for decades. Also a product that is specifically designed for this problem is available through Aircraft spruce and specialty company. Lion oil I think it is called, or was called when I used it last.

Apart from the rust issue there is the cost, I just priced powder coating 4 rims and they want 75 bucks each to powder coat them. and 200 to powder coat a rear bumper. for that money I can buy my own paint equipment and paint repaint and touch up paint.

and nobody in my town can recommend a reliable powder coater. To get it done right(?) I gota go 100 miles up to Tucson. How soon will that be getting old?
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #28
stepbox

Just a little side note on powder coat.If you happen to change your mind after it's been powder coated(or if you have something that is powder coated already),it will not blast off.You have to either chemically strip or burn it off in a strip oven.
Either way it is not cheep.I sandblast almost every day,believe me when I say powder coat does not blast off.
stepbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #29
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I painted mine:
Dis-assembled everything, had it sandblasted, 1 good coat black epoxy all over, flash, 1 good coat of urethane gloss black, reassembled main frame and touched back up with urethane gloss black. No rust in the 6 years that I have drove it on the beach, swamp, mud and rainy highways.
Attached Images

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote