The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
SCOTI

Jewels.... I've got a couple of these 67/8 seats around. I could see if one has the pivot bracket & hardware you need if your interested?

Oh, both of mine pivot like the ones posted in the pics.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
72c10step
WHYBYNU when old will do?

Quote:
Originally posted by palallin
Loosen, rather than remove, Screw 1. Cut a slot in the bend of the bracket below Screw 1. You could then fold the back forward, but the bracket resting on the loosened screw will not allow if to tilt back. If the slot weakens the braket too much, it could be doubled or replaced with a bracket fabbed from thicker steel.
Damn, I just started reading this thread and was thinking the same thing!
-1995 Polaris XCR600 Custom
-2003 Honda 300ex
72c10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:30 PM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

My '72's seat flips forward....next time i drive it i will have to look and see if it has been modified or not....i would imagine it is original, but i don't know for sure...
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Jewlws, one thing I did not mention when we spoke of this, (becouse I know it does not apply to you) is if you have armrests on your doors, they will get rubbed everytime you flip the seat. (actually the passengers side will get rubbed since you'll be on the drivrer's side 99% of the time)
I wore out both an arm rest, and rubbed a hole in the seat cover from where it was hitting.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the stock seat cover would get messed up. The lower left corner where it tucks in underneath will be the first to go, and the rest of it will pop off as soon as you have it tilted. Again, this may not be an issue on yours since you have custom threads on your rig.
Mostly saying this for everyone else who digs your idea.
On your cut, you may need to go with more of a 'V' shape since the arm travels in an arch and not straight onto the screw/stud that will be the stopper. (very good idea by the way)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Longhorn Man
On your cut, you may need to go with more of a 'V' shape since the arm travels in an arch and not straight onto the screw/stud that will be the stopper. (very good idea by the way)
yeah, i was thinking of the right cut (as an engineer, i do that), and i think that as long as i follow the line of travel, i should be ok. and if i got it right, i think the line of travel would be a curved path that follows along a radius "yea" far from the pivot screw. so i think i will tie a string to the pivot screw, and draw a curved path that will be cut out.....

kinda like the red path drawn in the picture below...

thanks!
jewels.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2003, 12:50 AM   #6
krazy_texan

or you could get a piece of flat plate and angle iron and make a bracket like so
Attached Images

1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:55 AM   #7
Hooter
My other Love

man i like the idea of the slot, why didnt I think of that, too much pot I guess, I would have never have evn thought the the seat would hit the arm rest, i guess they stick out quite far then

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:59 AM   #8
sactoC10
71 DELUX

I am interested in the "large wing nut" solution to this non- folding-forward-seat problem. If anyone knows where such an item may be found, please let me know.

Thanks.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:22 AM   #9
junkyardjohn

I'VE GOT THE BENCH SEAT OUT OF MY 68 PANEL THAT FOLDS FORWORD. IF ANYONE WANTS TO PICK IT UP IN CARSON CITY NEVADA, THEY'RE WELCOME TO IT FOR FREE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

I was stressing trying to figure why my passenger door arm rest and seat cover was tearing...it is rare that anyone else wants to ride in the "death trap" with me. So I went to trying to figure it out and there it was, the seat was smacking it.
Even though my seat is still set up to flip, I never flip it onless I am looking for a quarter or something. Then i just open both doors.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #11
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

The only flaw that I see in your design is that the notch will cause the bench seat to loose its strength. The notch is in critical strength area. You may tilt the seat over one day and back rest bends over or snaps off. Just take the screw out closest to the gas tank on each side and make contraption that will keep the back rest in the position that you want. Or you can scoot the seat all the way back and make the pedals longer or you could hang upside down while you sleep at night.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:01 AM   #12
Richard

Hate to be the fuddy duddy but you might want to think about this. In an accident without a securing mecanism the folding seat could slam you into the dash/steering column with more force. That is why all folding seats have them. No one plans to get in an accident, but it is a good idea to be as safe as you can.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:27 AM   #13
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
Hate to be the fuddy duddy but you might want to think about this. In an accident without a securing mecanism the folding seat could slam you into the dash/steering column with more force. That is why all folding seats have them. No one plans to get in an accident, but it is a good idea to be as safe as you can.

oohhh - excellent point richard!!! thank you!!! i totally overlooked that --- now i must rethink my strategy! cool!

thanks so much!!
i am totally a safety first type of gal!

jewels.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:31 AM   #14
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels.

oohhh - excellent point richard!!! thank you!!! i totally overlooked that --- now i must rethink my strategy! cool!

thanks so much!!
i am totally a safety first type of gal!

jewels.
Solution: Notch passenger side then use a pin or the large wingnut on the driver side.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:19 PM   #15
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Does anyone know if you could use the original folding brackets on your non folding seat? That would probably be the best,. that way you could just put a nut on the bolt to stop it from tilting forward
Yellville, Ar. USA

Last edited by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72; 09-26-2003 at 12:25 PM.
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:44 PM   #16
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I don't like the unsecured seat, we've learned too much about safety in the last 30 years. In high school we had guys that did the screw removal method, iirc they stuck a 2x4 on top of the gas tank. The guys that tried the notch method usually ended up with a bent seat frame. This was in the 59-66 trucks. The 67 model was new when I was in high school, few could afford a new vehicle back then.

I was looking at a design to make a lever mechanism to latch both sides of the seat, and was ready to mock it up, but then found seats out of a 98 extended cab pickup. Now I need to put in my burb tank so I can make a storage area where the current fuel tank is.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #17
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

why not just get one of the ones that tilt foward for our trucks.there is not a lot of difference in them and transfer seat cover to new seat with the seat cushion just build up or take away to get fit right a good reptuple uphol. shop can do iti .just run it buy my brother he has been in custom uphol for 25 yrs he said it wouldnt be hard to do

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #18
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by 72shadetree
why not just get one of the ones that tilt foward for our trucks.there is not a lot of difference in them and transfer seat cover to new seat with the seat cushion just build up or take away to get fit right a good reptuple uphol. shop can do iti .just run it buy my brother he has been in custom uphol for 25 yrs he said it wouldnt be hard to do
yeah - actually - i am starting to think that would be the best solution at this point.... reupholster another seat....

my father owns a furniture store (thats our family business) so re-upholstering is like second nature to me --- i can do it... but i was originally tryin to avoid it...

before i reupholster, i might see if the seat brackets can be easily transferred from the folding seat to my seat....

this calls for a trip to the junkyard!
thanks guys!
jewels.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #19
jimfulco

What about making a slot above the forward screw & using the rear one to pivot on?
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #20
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Quote:
Hate to be the fuddy duddy but you might want to think about this. In an accident without a securing mecanism the folding seat could slam you into the dash/steering column with more force. That is why all folding seats have them. No one plans to get in an accident, but it is a good idea to be as safe as you can
I have a original folding bench in my truck and it does not have a "locking mechinism" to keep it from tilting forward . Also the only way that you can avoid hitting the steering wheel/dash during an accident is to have a 3 point seat belt with a shoulder harness. Sometimes those don't even help.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:34 PM   #21
Longhorn Man

The seat back would flop like stated if this was stock or not.
The feds did not require positive locks untill 69 if not mistaken.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #22
Hooter
My other Love

come to think of it, the folding seat in my brothers 91 sonoma doesnt have a locking mechanism that I can see on it, so I wonder if it is supposed to or not

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #23
73stepside

my 92 camaro doesn't have locking mechanisms on the seats. you can just push them froward with ease. the back of the seat doesn't add enough wait to matter if it is secured upright or not. the tilt of the backrest is what keeps it stationary. you can build a bracket that will remove the bolt butt hold the seat in the same spot when not pushed forward and you will be able to bolt it into the hole that is already there
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:38 PM   #24
Longhorn Man

The later model GM buckets have an inirtia latch in them much like the 3 point seatbelts do. If you were to slam on the brakes (and the switch still works like it is suopposed to) then the seat will lock in the upright position to prevent any further injury.
I know this becouse our old blazer's seat inirtia switch was messed up and sometimes we would have to beat on it to get it to work properly.