The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Hart_Rod

Rear vibration ...need help,suggestions

I've been chasing a rear vibration, well really more like a hop. It feels like the truck starts bouncing up and down around 40-45 MPH (at least that's where it seems the worse). I've checked everything from wheel balance, changed out the poly cab mounts to rubber, put on a different set of wheels and tires, new driveshaft, made sure the the rear pinion angle was good, installed the correct length of tuned shocks, made sure the axle bearings were good, and then finally I thought I had it narrowed down to a bent rear axle... So I ordered some new axles and swapped them out thinking I had finally fixed the problem. Took it for a test drive, but the hop didn't go away....

So I started looking at the hub where the wheels go on the axle. With the car on jack stands and running you can see wheel hub is off centered which is causing the up and down bounce. It appears that my Billet Specialty wheels aren't centering up when I bolt them on. I think this is happening because the thickness of the CPP rear rotor. They don't allow the axle hub stick far enough past the rotor to engage the wheel hole, thus preventing them from centering up. I'm not sure what the best option is at this point. New axles with thicker hub? Change rear brakes to Wilwood or something else with a thinner hub? I don't want to keep throwing money at this problem unless I have a good possibility of correcting the problem. Very frustrated. Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 12-03-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote