The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #26
chevychic

I've looked at a couple sets of stainless steel chains that already come sleeved but they were about $100 and I just don't feel like spending $100 on a set up that I know won't be permanent...like I would like to do the conversion next summer or at least by the end of December next year (along with a new tailgate). The entire conversion is actually pretty cheap and simple.

Of course, I never did think of just making my own in the meantime....

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #27
TwinTurbo

100$ that's robbery. Go to the hardware store, they probably have rolls of stainless chains which you can cut the desired length off, then just get some thick sleeve (or get one of those chains and lock to lock down a fence or a bike or something and cut that with some bolt cutters)
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:24 PM   #28
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by chevychic

LOL

That's the cool thing about mud. It washes right off.

I don't let it dry on there. We stopped at the wash on the way home and rinsed the under carriage and all visible mud off.

It doesn't "Wash right off" down here. There is a joke here that says "If you like the color of our dirt don't wash your car for a week and it will be that color....PERMENTLY".

It's fun till you have to clean it. I hate cleaning it. I just quit washing my truck.

You change your hair color? I could have sworn the last picture I saw of you about a year ago that you were a dark brunette.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:27 PM   #29
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by chevychic
I've looked at a couple sets of stainless steel chains that already come sleeved but they were about $100 and I just don't feel like spending $100 on a set up that I know won't be permanent...like I would like to do the conversion next summer or at least by the end of December next year (along with a new tailgate). The entire conversion is actually pretty cheap and simple.

Of course, I never did think of just making my own in the meantime....
Are you looking for a Chrome look stainless or just so it doesn't rust? I run Stainless safety chains on our Airstream. I think it was about $40 for two that would be enough to make 8-10 gate chains. They stay silver and bright but they are not chrome.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote