The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
verdell

Re: How can I lower my truck and improve ride quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
What are some really nice rear shocks for the 60-62 C10?
X2 on the rear 60-62 shocks...
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
jason999

Hello,

I try to post my end results after I start a thread, for the benefit of future searchers and to express gratitude to those that helped. Ive been pretty busy but I have some extra time today.

My truck is nearly complete now. All of the paint and body work are done. I'm almost done with the Vintage Air and I will buy some shocks in a day or two. I think I will get monotube, but I'm not 100% sure which to buy.

I ended up with some $200 ebay 3" drop spindles for an 81 C10, because of my 5 lug swap, for the front. I left the old springs in. I had a slight issue with the length of the brake lines and the spindles had to be ground slightly to make the calipers fit, but it went pretty smooth.

I used 4" drop springs for the rear. The rear would have been much quicker and simpler if not for rusty bolts! The upper bolts that retain the springs were the worst. They would hardly budge! It's all done now and I am really happy with the results. There are no good reflections or shadows in the after photo so it doesn't do the truck justice, but at least you can see the difference. The before picture was taken a slightly higher angle. If I used that angle on the after, it would look slightly lower.
Attached Images

jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Paul Y

I will throw my 2p in here as I have just gone through the challenge of making my 66 handle the real world.

Used parts from No Limit- Rob knows what he is talking about.

Truck came with really short front and rear springs - not sure but they might be 5 - 7?

To this I added

1 No Limit front and rear ARB's

2. Doetch Tech Shocks

3 No Limit Panhard bar

I fabricated my own rear shock re location following the post by Frizzle Fry

Made up new front shock mounts to give maximum stroke on the front shocks - think I moved them up by about 2' and back by 1/4'.

Caster Mod - not had it aligned yet but would guestimate about 5 degrees of caster

Added an extended upper ball joint.

Truck handles well. Very neutral and good weight to the steering. Has highlighted that I need to convert to R & P steering however!

Ride is firm but comfortable. Biggest problem is that the stock seats set up a harmonic over bumps and you end up bouncing along whilst the truck has settled.

I have 2.5" spindles and disks to add but will go to a taller front spring when I instal as i would feel more comfortable with more travel on the front end.

Considering bags for the rear as the load capacity is severely compromised, along with a C Notch.

Comfortable? Rob told me that the shocks were valved for autocross and would be firm for the street, and this I can believe. Truck is probably over damped but will reserve judgement until I have completed all the mods and fitted quality tyres.

Might be worth noting that my daily, until recently, was a rose jointed 911 so my definition of comfort and yours may differ...

Not sure if this helps!.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Monte's62

Jason, check out the thread from Rob at No Limit, which Paul Y mentioned. The thread is in the suspension section and titled "make it handle". Lots of information. Shocks, Shocks, Shocks!
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Paul Y

This is the link.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

There is some really good information, worth reading it properly.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
60chevyjim

that's a great looking truck !!
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
jason999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60chevyjim View Post
that's a great looking truck !!
Thanks!!!

I'm not sure if I knew what to expect, but I guess it's pretty much going as expected. Soon, when I'm a little further along, I'll clean it up, give it a nice final buff and wax, detail it and take some good photos!
jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote