The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: I want this Pontiac engine for my truck...

I want a '61 Ventura. But,the little Tempests are dang cool. I like the '63 Lemans as far as the compacts go. They look like the big car. 1st is '61 and other is '63:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

All the Tempest had until '63, was the 4-cylinder, which was 1/2 of a 389. Same pistons, rods and one head, if I recall correctly. Their weak spot was the "rope" drive shaft to the transaxle rear end. In '63, the 326 was the new V8 on the block.

Those Tempests (Smothers Brothers called them a Teapot), when converted to F/X cars with 421's, were some kinda stout.

The cream-colored '61 Catalina has a set of hubcaps on it, that I happen to also have...like 7 of 'em. Only thing is that nobody is purposely going for that Super Stock look. I've seen 'em on Tempests, back in the day.....the F/X cars.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
...."A turbo Subaru would blow it into da weeds, BUT IT WOULDN'T SOUND RIGHT DOIN' IT."
My Pontiac powered 63 GMC will eat your subaru for breakfast and fart rice puffs for lunch.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
FlounderGDI

I've got this rusty old 400 in my truck now... courtesy of the PO
Attached Images

2008 Malibu

Brand Loyal... I've never owned a Vehicle not made by Chevrolet.
FlounderGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #30
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlounderGDI View Post
I've got this rusty old 400 in my truck now... courtesy of the PO
Now yer talkin my language!
Love those Pontiacs!

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
danleaman

Anybody remember the OHC six that pontiac made for a few years?
danleaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #32
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleaman View Post
Anybody remember the OHC six that pontiac made for a few years?
I do, I have 3 of them. They were too early on the market and didn't go over well. Now everything is single and dual OHC. Good motors if built right. I had a 66 lemans that ran 13.30s with a pontiac OHC 6 in the early 80's

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
webfoot

That is a cool car!

Here's my poncho power:

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #34
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'd love to have a 67 small window GMC stepper with a 389 Tri-Power and late model 5 speed.I've always loved Goats,other cool Ponchos and the Olds offerings.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #35
66-PMD-GMC

My buddy Andy came to me one day and asked, "if you were going to build your dream motor how would you do it?" The following photos are of his 66 now that it is done. 474 CID 600+ hp and even more torque, triple D induction.. the works....
Attached Images

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

I'd still like to find a Pontiac motor for my '67 GMC project. I already have an M22 and a 389 tri-power would be awesome. But,I'd settle for a more common 350 or 400 to build. I talked to this guy at the York NSRA run in June. He drives it,drags it,and shows it:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #37
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'd still like to find a Pontiac motor for my '67 GMC project. I already have an M22 and a 389 tri-power would be awesome. But,I'd settle for a more common 350 or 400 to build. I talked to this guy at the York NSRA run in June. He drives it,drags it,and shows it:
While tripowers are nostalgic in looks and legend, they will actually cost you 50-75 HP over a 4bbl. Something to keep in mind.
A 350 will cost more to build than a 400 due to parts availability and cost. The 350 Pontiac pistons are almost double the cost of 400 units. But the torque and horse power you'll get from the Pontiac is well worth it.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #38
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

The "Some Old Ford" video really took me back in time. Summer of '66 I bought a '63 Squareback F*rd XL red-on-red bucket seat model. That body shell was what was before the "63-1/2 fastback" roofline models that came out late '63, which were more streamline designed for the NASCAR boys. I paid $ 600 whole dollars for that car, believe it or not, & it didn't have a mark on it anywhere. Changed out the sloppy stock 4-speed shifter for a Hurst. I don't even have a photo of that car.......

The sound of those big block long duration cam & solid lifter motors is unlike anything else in the world. I'd almost forgotten that sound until I heard the video. Wouldn't idle at all until it was warmed-up good by rapping the throttle for a minute or two.

That guy was right. Those cars handled like a fat drunken hog when you were going around corners, but it would sure give you a sore neck accelerating in a straight line.

Pass everything on the road but a Shell station. I think it averaged about 4 miles to the gallon, & you had to be cautious to even do that good.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
While tripowers are nostalgic in looks and legend, they will actually cost you 50-75 HP over a 4bbl. Something to keep in mind.
A 350 will cost more to build than a 400 due to parts availability and cost. The 350 Pontiac pistons are almost double the cost of 400 units. But the torque and horse power you'll get from the Pontiac is well worth it.
Thanks for the info. If I found a 389 Tri-power it would be used for the wow factory. But,my truck doesn't seem to be going to ending up on such a high caliber. I think I'll keep an eye out for a crappy Grand Ville or something with a 455 to build. I forgot to mention that one as an option. I can always dress it to appear as a '60s motor. Right now I have a large journal 327 built and ready to go in when the time comes. Since V8s were only introduced late in '67 GMCs I wanted to build it as if a guy back then would have done a swap. So,I want an era correct motor. A Pontiac mill would just be that much cooler since the GMCs and Pontiacs shared dealerships a lot. And...I love those Pontiacs!

Tim

Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #40
GRX

Only reason I bought a Chevy truck is because Pontiac never made one.
But seriously, great to see all the Pontiac love. Been toying with the idea of dropping an Indian plant in my '69 stepper. One of these 400's I have stashed would do nicely. Anyone have plans for conversion motor mounts?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #41
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Only reason I bought a Chevy truck is because Pontiac never made one.
But seriously, great to see all the Pontiac love. Been toying with the idea of dropping an Indian plant in my '69 stepper. One of these 400's I have stashed would do nicely. Anyone have plans for conversion motor mounts?
A Pontiac is a direct bolt in using the correct frame mounts and motor mounts.
The top of the frame needs to be narrowed about a 1/4 of an inch and the rear top hole for the frame mount drilled. Thats about the only fabrication needed.
The easiest block to use is the 69 and newer Pontiac block. The earlier blocks require an additional step to bolt them in.
I used the frame hardware from a 79 GMC diesel and have the photos of how I did it.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #42
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
A Pontiac is a direct bolt in using the correct frame mounts and motor mounts.
The top of the frame needs to be narrowed about a 1/4 of an inch and the rear top hole for the frame mount drilled. Thats about the only fabrication needed.
The easiest block to use is the 69 and newer Pontiac block. The earlier blocks require an additional step to bolt them in.
I used the frame hardware from a 79 GMC diesel and have the photos of how I did it.
Hmmm, I see where you're going ... the newer blocks with five mount holes. I have so much Pontiac iron stored it's not funny. That virgin early '75 block (#481988) should do. Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Looking at your sig ... always liked the way those 440 Pontiacs perform.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #43
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Hmmm, I see where you're going ... the newer blocks with five mount holes. I have so much Pontiac iron stored it's not funny. That virgin early '75 block (#481988) should do. Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Looking at your sig ... always liked the way those 440 Pontiacs perform.
I built the 440 incher using a 71 400 block, a 428 crank and over-sized 428 flat top pistons.
The combo is actually a bit much for the street at 10.02/1 compression but I have an NOS crane "fireball" cam shaft that has a very lopey idle that brings the compression down a bit with overlap. The heads are Kaufman units with 2.11/1.77, roller rockers.
I run this motor with a dual quad set up for a nostalgic effect.
I have a 440 inch roller motor too but it isn't street friendly. I hate to fight a vehicle down the road. No fun to drive that way.
The 5 hole blocks allow me to use the steel mount on the block and the "chevy" style motor mount on the plate.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac