The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #26
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: this isn't a for sale ad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
WHat happened with the policy of no WIW threads without being a site supporter.

This info shouldnt be free
That is for people using the wiw loophole to sell items on the site. As stated this is not a for sale post. This site has never charged for information and never will.. its a community where we exchange ideas and information.
The only reason for the WIW policy, is for people trying to bend the rules and buy and sell without being subscribers.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #27
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
That is for people using the wiw loophole to sell items on the site. As stated this is not a for sale post. This site has never charged for information and never will.. its a community where we exchange ideas and information.
The only reason for the WIW policy, is for people trying to bend the rules and buy and sell without being subscribers.
I specifically put up a WIW post asking how much a rim would be worht when i wasnt a supporter and it was pulled. He is asking the same question.

Just want to keep it fair. WIW should be left for site supporters.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #28
72 longhorn BB

.........getting back to the point of helping members of this community with shared information - Has anyone got a picture of what a split rim looks like so someone can make a safe decision?

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #29
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 longhorn BB View Post
.........getting back to the point of helping members of this community with shared information - Has anyone got a picture of what a split rim looks like so someone can make a safe decision?
Look, if they are going to have rules, it needs to be followed by everyone, not just some of them.

WIW threads are not allowed UNLESS YOU ARE A SITE SUPPORTER!!!!! This is a WIW thread is it not?? He didnt ask how safe this rim was, he asked how much they were worth.

I couldnt find the link, so here, this is just as good.

Fair is fair. Also, i manage a service shop and those rims need to be melted and recycled. Making 100 dollars off that rim isnt worth someones life.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #30
72 longhorn BB

I could care about the WIW aspect of this thread, unless there is a rule that you can't talk about anything but the thread topic. Someone brought up a great 2nd point in this thread regarding the safety of these rims.

I had never heard about that before and wanted to find out for myself and the possible benefit of others what they looked like so we could avboid them and the possibility of getting hurt.

I am asking this as a public service to our community.

I have never made any comment about the worth of the rims, so I do not think there is anything wrong.

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #31
Chris H
72 C30 Trailer Queen

I stole this information from here: http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pr...rim-safety.htm

I think it is appropriate to copy here. Read and understand, or as I heard growing up "Knowledge is Power". Split rims can be serviced, and tires can be changed. Chains can and do work, but most pros will only inflate these in an anchored inflation cage.
I see no reason why split rims cant be sold as used parts, but cant see a real good market for them either. I would not install splits on a daily driver when single piece drop-center rims are safer and easier to deal with (read as every tire store on the planet can work on them).

How many split rims (or parts of) have you seen on the side of the highway?

Now, on with our story:

Please be careful when deflating, inflating, or changing a tire on a split rim wheel. Always use a cage designed for this purpose. Failure to use the correct safety procedures and equipment may result in injury. For those who do not have experience working with the split rim wheel, or do not have the safety equipment, we recommend that you take the wheels to a professional. Take the entire wheel, with the tire still attached. Do not deflate the tire yourself -- have them do it at the shop. Deflating a tire has the potential for causing a badly worn ring to pop off the rim.
Please note that a regular car or light truck service shop will probably not be able to work on your wheel(s). They usually do not have the equipment or experience to work on the split rim wheels. You will need to take the wheel(s) to a large truck shop (e.g. where semi's are serviced), or to a farm implement equipment shop (where large tractors, & etc. are sold and serviced).

1. Have the shop disassemble the wheel(s) for you, removing the tire, and taking the rim off the wheel.

2. Take the rim(s) and wheel(s) home, and do a thorough cleaning, inspection and painting of the wheel & rim

--
Check all metal surfaces for rust.

--
Carefully check the area where the wheel center is riveted to the.wheel. Make sure that there isn't a significant amount of rust. If there.is swelling between the two surfaces, or if it is rusted through, then.don't use that wheel.

--
Check that there are no cracks between the holes for the wheel studs and the inner hub hole. If cracks are found, then.replace the wheel.

--
Check to make sure that the split rim is not warped or bent incorrectly. The rim should be round (not egg-shaped, for example), and the ends should be even with each other when layed out on the floor before installation. If not, then the ring will not fit properly around the the rim of the wheel, and should not be used.

-- A good practice is to ensure that the removable rim flange part number matches the wheel part number. This way, you can know you have the correct pairing of rim and wheel. (Tip submitted by our VPW customer Mike Stone)

--
Rust and corrosion can be removed by sandblasting. Especially pay attention to rust around the split rim area.

--
After sandblasting, check all surfaces again. Some problems are uncovered or more easily seen when heavy rust has been removed. Check for weak spots, or holes that were created or uncovered by the sandblasting. (Sandblasting would usually only create a hole if that area was already thin from rust.)

--
If the wheel and rim appear solid, straight, and useable, then proceed to the next step.

--
Prime and paint wheel. Powder coating is great way to treat.the rims, and provides excellent durability.

3. Once you've done the necessary cleaning, inspection and painting of the wheel, take it back to the service shop that did the disassembly for you, and have them reassemble the wheel, put on the tire, and inflate it to the proper pressure for you. Do not over-inflate the tire.

Imoportant: Explain carefully to your tire shop that care needs to be taken in the installation of the split rims. Often this is done with a hammer, but the hammer can cause damage. A heavy rubber mallet works better for installing the rings, and prevents the rings from getting banged up as well as having to be repainted. Now you're ready to go!.

72 C30 133"
72 C30 157" flat-dump
69 C10 short fleet
71 ElCamino
2000 K2500 crewcab shortbed (sold, sorry old friend)
2005 GMC 2500HD shortcrew Duramax
2006 K1500 RCSB
and a couple other projects/parts
Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #32
Chris H
72 C30 Trailer Queen

And pictures:
Attached Images

72 C30 133"
72 C30 157" flat-dump
69 C10 short fleet
71 ElCamino
2000 K2500 crewcab shortbed (sold, sorry old friend)
2005 GMC 2500HD shortcrew Duramax
2006 K1500 RCSB
and a couple other projects/parts
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #33
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I watched a soldier get killed in Alaska by a split rim off a deuce and a 1/2 truck. He was standing on it when the rim flew off as he was airing it up. Sad thing, the safety cage used for that particular purpose was not more than 25 yards away. He was just in a hurry..Funny thing, the safety cage was bowed out also from another flying metal incident.

Last edited by sleepyboy; 10-10-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #34
lyrikz
PITbut

[QUOTE=Chris H;2397002]I stole this information from here: http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pr...rim-safety.htm

I think it is appropriate to copy here. Read and understand, or as I heard growing up "Knowledge is Power". Split rims can be serviced, and tires can be changed. Chains can and do work, but most pros will only inflate these in an anchored inflation cage.
I see no reason why split rims cant be sold as used parts, but cant see a real good market for them either. I would not install splits on a daily driver when single piece drop-center rims are safer and easier to deal with (read as every tire store on the planet can work on them).

Thats a very wrong statement. They cant and wont work on them. The three shops we have here wont touch them. The other three goodyear stores will not touch them. Its rare, at least in my area to find any shop willling to work on split rims.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #35
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Look, if they are going to have rules, it needs to be followed by everyone, not just some of them.

WIW threads are not allowed UNLESS YOU ARE A SITE SUPPORTER!!!!! This is a WIW thread is it not?? He didnt ask how safe this rim was, he asked how much they were worth.

I couldnt find the link, so here, this is just as good.

Fair is fair. Also, i manage a service shop and those rims need to be melted and recycled. Making 100 dollars off that rim isnt worth someones life.
This is the WIW you posted that was edited
Quote:
Quote:
Well, i have been trying to get these rims to work on my truck and i just cant get em to fit, my trucks to low.

The rims are 15x10 rally rims with caps, beauty rings, and tires. I just had em sand blasted then blacked and baked. Tires are a 7 out of 10 in condition and are 295/50/15 and 265/50/15. Heres the rims, what are they worth and how do i go about getting a sponsership so i can sell them here??

Stamping on the rims.

Caps

Rims with cap

All together.

Let me know what you think a good asking value is on the rims. Thanks.
It did not state anywhere that you were not selling etc, therefor edited.
If you have an issue with the rules, the site or anything else, use the proper channels.. do not take it upon yourself to hijack someone elses post. If you feel the post is wrong, then use the report a post feature.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #36
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

[QUOTE=lyrikz;2397038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
I stole this information from here: http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pr...rim-safety.htm

I think it is appropriate to copy here. Read and understand, or as I heard growing up "Knowledge is Power"..

actually its not only because it is copyrighted material.
.E-mail: dodge@vintagepowerwagons.com
..© Copyright 2000 - 2006 Vintage Power Wagons, Inc.... All rights reserved

In the future guys, please only copy a few lines of an article along with the link just to be safe on copyrighted materials. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #37
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
This is the WIW you posted that was edited

It did not state anywhere that you were not selling etc, therefor edited.
If you have an issue with the rules, the site or anything else, use the proper channels.. do not take it upon yourself to hijack someone elses post. If you feel the post is wrong, then use the report a post feature.
It did say WIW right in the thread title when i posted it.

THe ONLY reason i was stating you had to have a sponsorship to ask WIW was due to what you told me. If you dont care, i dont care.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #38
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

post closed, cleaned up and reopened.. lyrikz please leave the moderating to the moderators.. thanks
Closed Thread