The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

73-74 bowtie

We have witnessed a recent growth in popularity of the 74-74 grills for our trucks due to the unique styling that they offer. Unfortunately no one makes a reproduction grill or bowtie. For those of us that have been on a quest to find quality replacement pieces, it been a lesson in frustration. We have seen the prices on eBay go ballistic for NOS pieces, putting them out of reach for the average guy.

Fortunately the grills can still be found in restorable condition at a decent price. With a bit of work and some Eastwood paint, the grill can be brought back to life. What is almost impossible to find is a NOS 73-74 bowtie. Because of the design, they faded and deteriorated beyond repair rather quickly.

Recently forum member "KQQL IT" made a post that offered an alternative bowtie that would fit where the 73-74 unit went. It went unnoticed, so the discovery was missed. LINK I got a PM from KQQL IT with the information I needed to search one of these bowties out.

For referrence, they show two numbers on the back. The primary # is 672810 and the second # is 715626 which I have been told was superseded by 672810. These bowties are the same size as the 73-74 shape cast in to the grill, and have two studs for a mounting. Brad said they were originally from P chassis and had been sold through Grumman Olson.

Thanks to Brad ( KQQL IT) for sharing this info with me. It allowed me to locate an NOS bowtie and get one step closer to running a 73-74 grill.

They came with a blue center since these were pre73, but thats easily changed. Now if I could just find an NOS chrome grill that doesn't require a home improvement loan...
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-06-2011 at 08:29 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote