The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2023, 04:22 PM   #26
pjmoreland

Re: Starter options?

I installed a PowerMaster 9612 starter on my truck. I suspect your Jegs branded starter is a relabeled PowerMaster because the instructions you posted look identical to the PowerMaster instructions. Anyway, I had the exact same problem where there was too much clearance. I have the luxury of having a friend who has a milling machine, so I was able to machine off a bit of material from the mounting surface to get it to fit right. I had to machine off .020". Maybe you could find a local machine shop that could cut yours down. It only takes about 5 minutes to do it on a manual vertical mill.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #27
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I installed a PowerMaster 9612 starter on my truck. I suspect your Jegs branded starter is a relabeled PowerMaster because the instructions you posted look identical to the PowerMaster instructions. Anyway, I had the exact same problem where there was too much clearance. I have the luxury of having a friend who has a milling machine, so I was able to machine off a bit of material from the mounting surface to get it to fit right. I had to machine off .020". Maybe you could find a local machine shop that could cut yours down. It only takes about 5 minutes to do it on a manual vertical mill.
I milled mine with a 4inch benchtop belt sander . Like you said 5 minutes of work
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #28
iriereggaeman

Update: (Good news) I was able to mill enough metal off to get my starter within tolerance, per the manufacturer.

(Bad news) I determined why my problematic old-style starter broke...seems my engine is seized!!!! In a recent flush of the cooling system - after replacing the upper/lower radiator hoses, and thermostat - I refilled the radiator with water - to verify I didn't have any leaks before filling with coolant. I took it for a very brief drive, a hundred yards or so, and it over heated badly. Looking in the radiator, I was less than half full. I let it cool down, topped off with water, starter her up and drove it back into the garage. A day later my starter failed starting this whole exercise of finding the mini-starter replacement. I didn't connect the dots that the started failed due to the flywheel being immobile.

Today after getting the starter installed, I checked the oil before starting her up for the 1st time, and found my oil to be milky gray!

I have been the caretaker of Big Yella for 7 years. The SB350 has always burned oil. I had planned to replace it with a LS engine when I had some "spare funds". It seems I may need to do that now!
iriereggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:20 AM   #29
Jason Banks

Oh man, that sucks. If you decide to go LS, visit the LS section of this board - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...play.php?f=206

Not much action over there, but people always willing to help.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #30
PbFut

Oh that's got to hurt to go from starter to engine. Nice job on the lead foot thing. Most miss it.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #31
Orange Crate

The long flat shims don't have to be used as such. You can cut them apart and only shim one bolt. This will "tip" the starter into or away from the flexplate/flywheel. Someone famous said this and I like it:

"Who is to say what you can or can not do with your truck?"

Also this:"There is no definition of "Hot Rod"

And: "Do what you want. It's your truck, isn't it?"
Old 12-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #32
72SB

OP, well the seized motor sucks. LS is cool and certainly a newer engine platform but not a "plug & play" swap. Doable but more $ than staying with the same engine family.

If your budget prevents the LS swap, consider a SBC motor from Blueprint Engines
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote