The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #26
Daze57

Re: 57 seat options

as long as it works !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
NW Task Force

Arrow 90's Chevy/GMC bench seat

Hey folks! Picked up a 92 Chevy Silverado standard cab bench seat. I want to install it in my 57' Chev. Is there any way to remove the headrests? I don't want them. I am planning to have the entire seat re-upholstered in a black colored material. I tried to remove the headrests, but I could not locate a release button/tab. I also am very interested in chopping/modifying the seat frame to lower the seat down since I'm 6'4" tall. I basically want the seat all the way back and against the bottom edge of the wrap around window. Anyone been down this road before with this style of seat? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
OrrieG

If there is no release button you usually have to strong arm them right or left without rotating while pulling up. You should find it has a notch in the HR rail you are displacing.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
If there is no release button you usually have to strong arm them right or left without rotating while pulling up. You should find it has a notch in the HR rail you are displacing.
Ok, I will try that next time I head out into the shop. This design of seat seems real comfortable for extended trips. Looking forward to getting it re-upholstered and installed.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
_Ogre

i don't know about you, but wouldn't lowering the seat shorten your leg room?
my seat are raised about 2 inches above stock height to give me more leg room.
i went with 07 ford fusion seats and chopped 6 out of the back so they wouldn't stick into the window so far.
yes, i have to duck getting out, but i really have to fold myself to get out of most cars.
they are quite comfy for long trips

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
NW Task Force

Question Need some ideas........

Hey folks! I am beginning to get into my bench seat project. Again, the bench seat is out of a early 90's Chevy Silverado. I placed the Silverado seat inside the cab and discovered that the seat back is approx. 2" above the bottom of the window (big window). Now your probably asking: "what's the big deal?" Well, I want this seat to sit level or just below the bottom edge of the big window. I don't want to strip the upholstery and chop the seat back frame, but rather lower the seat brackets 2" to achieve this. "chopping" the mounting brackets seems like a real pain.........what about building a bracket from scratch? I don't care about adjustability, I want the seat to be maxed all the way back for personal ergonomics. Has anyone on the board built their own bench brackets to achieve a "custom" fit & look?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
_Ogre

my seat brackets are made of angle iron and i was able to retain the electric seat

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #33
BurgerMan

I purchased a 99 Tahoe 3rd row seat. It has the lap belts bolted to the frame and a really low profile headrests. The width is perfect. All the brackets just unbolt and it should be easy to fab the original tracks to the new seat. Just going to have to recover it because i don't care for the tan leather(even though it is in perfect shape). When they bought the Tahoe, they immediately took it out and put it in their barn. 15 years later, I Got it for $50. Thanks craigslist!

Just like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-CHEVY-...-/261135236419
Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #34
NW Task Force

I'm planning to visit the wrecking yard this weekend and see what I can find. I heard that the Chevy Astro/ GMC Safari vans have some lower profile seat brackets. If all fails.........I might just build some custom brackets with angle iron.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #35
fabguy
Elev8r Man

I am using the same bench seat in my truck, I cut and lowered the bench a few inches and it works great. When cutting the seat it gives you a little more leg room because the back of the seat is thinner and allows you gain a few extra inches(i wanted to sit low in the truck). I think I have a section on it in my truck build thread(link in my signature) towards the end. I just took a piece of 2x2x1/8" angle after I cut the seat bottom and drilled new holes then welded it in place. As for the headrests I pulled the rear seat cover(behind the seat) out and removed the clips and pulled them out.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #36
OrrieG

I made mine so I could keep the quick removal and pop up of the original Yukon third row bench, and adjust the angle. It pivots in the back, with large threaded rod in front for tilt adjustment, I have a tilt tele column to compensate for it being way back. The panel on the side is a drawer that slides out. This might give you some ideas.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #37
NW Task Force

Talking Complete!

I finally finished my 90's Chevy Silverado seat installation. I chopped the seat mounting brackets 3.5 inches and attached 2x2x1/8 angle iron for remounting. The results turned out awesome! I am a pretty tall guy (6'4") and now sit comfortably with the new seat. I am also happy that the seat back is well below the big back window. Now my plans are to clean the seat and add a seat cover.
Attached Images