The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
KY_GMC

Re: Insurance - Had Enough

When we put my son on our insurance, we made him the primary driver of the the 72 GMC. Actually, the insurance company suggested this on their own to save us money!

He was actually driving a turbo VW which was in my name!

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Varies by state. I have 10 vehicles and 2 teenage drivers (soon enough 3-4). In WA they all have to be covered on all of the vehicles because they COULD in theory drive any of them.

Hagerty won't insure my Z07 for the same reason - teenage driver in the house and WA state law that requires he be insured on it since he lives in the same house.

In some other states you can limit which vehicles have insurance for whom, and it's a lot cheaper.
Ya, varies by state for sure. I meant to convey that all vehicles are registered in my name. But we insure for him to drive any vehicle in the house. And I think that's what the insurance companies assume these days anyway. I'm in a litigious state and I'm probably over insured. Anyone in a wreck around here seems to think they've won the lottery!

Oh, and see my nose.... that's what I pay through!! $$$$$$
Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
palallin

My 18-year-old is insured on our '99 Tahoe. Our agent wanted to put him on the truck, but he can't drive a stick yet, but the truck would have been cheaper.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
palallin

Restricting teens from driving at night pretty well prevents them from getting that job some of you are so eager to have them get.

[Rant]

As for the phones, if you don't provide smart phones for them and teach them that the phone is a phone, not a toy (and abide by the same rule yourself), you'll have less trouble with them. Our sons have ancient phones--no data, texting disabled. If a phone rings when we are driving, someone else in the vehicle answers it or it doesn't get answered. No parent has a right to claim his or her teen isn't responsible enough. If so, it ain't society's fault: it's the parents'.

[/Rant]
Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
jeffahart

These kids Uber eveywhere on the weekends now. I know, I get the Uber bills, and I'm happy to pay them! Driving after one sip of alcohol is forbidden if you have possession of one of my vehicles, I don't care if your 21 years old or 50 years old.<- (that a big PERIOD)

But no driving after dark... that pretty much puts them afoot in the winter. It's dark when they leave for school, and dark by 5:00 pm. Draconian!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Coley

Smile Re: Insurance - Had Enough

Quick follow up on those teenage driver rules...at least 'up in these parts'
I had the order wrong on that...you start with the 'L' (learner) sticker on the back of the car (1 yr) then move to the 'N' (sticker too).
The restrictions for the initial 16 year old include: You have to drive with an adult supervisor (25 yrs) +, no more than 1 additional passenger, and I had the no night driving rule incorrect...it actually is no driving between midnight and 5 am. As well...absolutely NO electronic devices (cell phones, etc) and absolute zero tolerance for alcohol.
After a year you get your 'L' (...now 17 yrs old)...they lighten up a bit (no night/morning restrictions) but still no electronic devices.

That said, as far as insurance rates are concerned for teens, you might be able to get a cost break if you put your kid through a quality, accredited teen driving school.
I've seen this relate to insurance rates being reduced in the past....its a great investment and it makes perfect sense.

all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
Tkmadone

I've never understood why insurance doesn't insure the driver, not the vehicle. Everybody should have a basic liability insurance card that allows then to drive any vehicle, then if you want collision or theft or whatever, that would be on the vehicle.

Just a way to fleece people who own more than one car...
Tkmadone is offline   Reply With Quote