The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
turner16

Re: 1980 smog

TerryJ, how much do you want for all the smog stuff? I'd like to show my students.
Toronto, Canada M1C 2C6 is the mail info.
turner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #27
sandnuriz

Post up some pics of your rides?

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #28
Hulk Will Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnuriz View Post
Post up some pics of your rides?
You got the blower motor through visual!? Good man. My hat's off to you!

It's 11 PM, do you know where your IAC pintle is?
Hulk Will Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
sandnuriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Will Smash View Post
You got the blower motor through visual!? Good man. My hat's off to you!
Here you go Hulk Will Smash
Attached Images

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #30
Coreyterry

i'd love to see some pics of 1980 trucks, 2wd or 4wd doesnt matter just must be 1980

1960 dodge d100--SOLD

1980 chevy scottsdale c10---current dd

Coreyterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #31
Hulk Will Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnuriz View Post
Here you go Hulk Will Smash
VERY clean install! Nice looking dude!

It's 11 PM, do you know where your IAC pintle is?
Hulk Will Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:20 AM   #32
malc1080

Hello. I know this post is old but I need the help. I have a 1980 as well and I want to know how can I pass smog if LMC truck website says that new catalytic converters are not legal in Cali? I purchased this truck and I love it but I unfortunately don’t want to keep paying high prices to pass the smog and if I can’t make it to pass legally, then I’ll be forced to sell my pride and joy. It’s just too much to maintain at this point. It’s a 454 with hooker long tubes and has flowmasters dumped exhaust. All tubes just a muffler. As you can see. It says California emissions on the code, and on the sticker it lacks everything it should have for smog. I don’t know why they would do this to a truck that needs to be smogged and in California. Paying over 200 dollars is just not worth it. If someone can help me with a decision please help. Thank you .
Attached Images

malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #33
Axle

Not in california, but based on what they did here, and my opinion only;
Passing smog; remove the 454 valve covers and put on plain steel for stealth. Get a factory air cleaner assembly, egr and air pump to match the sticker, swap that stuff on before your smog test. Crank the idle to maximum allowable (less emmsions with a higher curb idle speed). If headers are not an insta-fail, drill for and weld in bungs for the air injection tubes. Buy your replacement catalytic converters locally, from tidbits gleaned in past threads on other forums, california has some stupid rule about cats so getting replacements that are carb certified are the only way to go.
Don't make it look too pretty to avoid drawing extra attention. I'd find out what the emmisions limits are for the 454, and what they are for the 5.7 (what your rad cover sticker indicates). If the 5.7 has looser limits, keep your mouth shut and hope whoever is doing smog isn't paying much attention to notice its a big block under the hood.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #34
Rickysnickers

Sorry to say, but essentially you are going to have to put every piece of CA required smog equipment back on the truck. A reputable smog station will fail you. There are places out there that will pass you, but those are getting more and more difficult to find, not to mention they are doing so illegally. You are correct in that CA requires CA compliant cats and will not accept aftermarket ones, not only that, most companies will not even ship one to you once they know you are in CA.

You other option is to somehow register the truck in a county/city/town where there is no smog required until you sell the truck. Again, I wish you luck on that endeavor.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #35
reddnecckk

OR, 1. take it to a smog place (just the way it is headers and all, make sure there are cats on it) have them check your HC's and NOX. 2. if they are within specs, then schedule an appt with a smog referee (state of CA). show them (they will test) its is not a gross polluter (HC's/NOX within spec). 3. They will give you a specific exemption for the exact way your truck is set up. they charge $300. that exemption is gold. 4. every 2 years take your truck and get it smogged. the smog guy will enter your exemption executive order # (like on cat. converters) and send to the state. it is a process. the same process magna-flo had to do to get their aftermarket cats approved for sale in ca.

Last edited by reddnecckk; 10-31-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: removed too much info specific to my situation
reddnecckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #36
malc1080

Thank you so much for the replies. It sounds like a big headache and it won’t be an easy task converting it back. I’ll continue to do my research. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #37
malc1080

Just discovered that the glove box sticker is for a suburban and I’m guessing that’s where the 454 came off from. The truck had a 5.7 originally... I’ll just spend the money to make it pass smog. I’ll follow the sticker but order 454 parts like exhaust manifolds to swap out long tubes, change the cam to stock, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #38
geezer#99

So you plan on spending a couple grand to make it look stock and maybe (yes maybe) pass emissions.
You might might want to tally up all the costs first.

What year is your truck?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #39
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
So you plan on spending a couple grand to make it look stock and maybe (yes maybe) pass emissions.
You might might want to tally up all the costs first.

What year is your truck?
Really? It’s a 1980.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #40
geezer#99

If you’re talking stock manifolds could be a few hundred.
Changing cam etc could run you a thousand if you get someone to do it.
Intake and carb another 600 or more.

Or do you plan to get it to pass smog like it is?
Old 10-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #41
Dead Parrot

Since both the engine and SPID are transplants, you probably should run the cab VIN and see what the original equipment was and where it was first sold. Possible it is not even a Cali emission vehicle. You want to be able to explain to any DMV officials why the SPID VIN and cab VINs are different(assuming they are).

Possible the conversion was done in another less emission strict state and the last owner sold it to avoid the Cali emission issues.

I would talk to the emissions inspectors before spending any money and find out what the real rules are. Internal things like the cam may not matter as long as the visual inspection looks good and it passes the sniffer tests.

At this point, I wouldn't even trust the emission sticker on the core support, that could be a swap in part as well.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #42
Rickysnickers

Since the 454 is a replacement, you are going to have issues there. Per CA law, a replacement engine has to be reported to the DMV. Not to argue with another poster, but you are still going to run into the same problem with a referee. He/she will make you put all the smog equipment back on, or CARB certified equipment, the truck, regardless of what come out of the tailpipe. Oh, and they won't look at the glove box info. The just use the VIN number to give them all the info they need.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #43
geezer#99

Does the year of the replacement motor change things?
I’ve read it might.
Or do they just go by the vin?
Old 11-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #44
Corts60
Just here to tinker

If you're going to spend a couple grand to try to get this thing to pass, just put that money towards moving to a state that isn't ridiculous. , just kidding.

Good luck with your quest!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #45
Ziegelsteinfaust

You basically only have a few choices for your pride and joy here.

Go to pick a part, and find the parts your missing, and install them including the Q jet. You can upgrade to a MSD atomic efi since it is carb approved. The 454 was offered in the Big 10 so it is 1/2 ton legal, and I think they had then too 80.

Do a smog legal LS engine swap like the erod engine or follow other posts.

Keep paying the "fee" till you get caught.

Swap in a very warm 350 which sounds like what you had stock, and with the right choice of parts can get to 425hp smog legal. Atleast from the function part with a 350-383 sbc. You can probably get more, but I have witnessed 425hp 350's make it with ease. You maybe able to get more with today's cam, and head technology.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #46
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Does the year of the replacement motor change things?
I’ve read it might.
Or do they just go by the vin?
Geezer, in CA you can only, legally, replace the engine with another engine (unless the replacement engine is of the same size and year) that is newer and it still has to retain all the smog equipment for that year engine. According to the Vehicle Code, DMV has to be notified of any engine change.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #47
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Geezer, in CA you can only, legally, replace the engine with another engine (unless the replacement engine is of the same size and year) that is newer and it still has to retain all the smog equipment for that year engine. According to the Vehicle Code, DMV has to be notified of any engine change.
So then his big block would need to be of 1980 or newer origin.
If I read that right.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #48
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
The replacement motor year is important from a swap concern.

As far as if I drop in a earlier engine into my truck, and hook the smog back up. They never go that far.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #49
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
This is the pics of the E xhaust G as R ecirculation tubes on my two 87's, the whole reason I mentioned the EGR valve in my first unread post. Both trucks bypass the #4 & #6 cylinders. Why??? I can't answer that question. Hope this helps.
so if my 1980 says AIR-EGR it has exhaust manifolds with smog tubes? im looking for oem manifolds and I see both with and without. can someone help? also do intake manifolds vary from year? I need to change mine to oem to pass smog and I found one for 454 but but it is from a 1969 off the intake stamp. I have a 1980 454. will any of these work? I dont know why the opening shapes vary.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2020, 11:55 PM   #50
malc1080

yes i'm going to spend the money and roll the dice and hope it passes. New CARB approved Holley 650 to swap the 750 Holley, swapping the Wieland stealth intake to OEM (which i need help from the pictures), valve covers to stock, canister, distributor since the one i have doesn't have a connection for the tube that connects to distributor delay valve as shown in my emission sticker picture, the whole thing! cats from Magnaflow are CARB approved from auto zone which will run me 450. So I don't know if I need one or 2.

Total cost around $1500-2000 and hope I pass!!! I love cali!