The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #26
rich weyand

Re: Need Your Opinion - What Would You Have Paid?

Agreed, that's a good price for that truck.

Be very aware, however, that all the rubber parts on the truck have "age hardened". The rubber gives off elastomers -- that's what makes it smell like rubber -- which are what keep the rubber soft. BTDT.

So belts, hoses, fuel filler hoses, fuel and vent lines, door seals, window seals, cab shock mounts, shackle bushings, spring bushings, engine seals, transmission seals, power steering seals, front steering gear bushings, the rubber cup on the piston of the master cylinder, etcetcetc have all hardened over time. Now as they wear, they will not be supple enough to close up, where 30 years ago, they would have been.

Couple things you can do. Get three bottles of this stuff, and put one in the engine oil, one in the trans fluid, and 1/3 bottle in the power steering fluid. It will restore elastomers to the rubber and close up leaks (which you probably don't have yet) and allow the seals to stay closed when the seals wear, preventing leaks from developing. Lots of people claim it, but this stuff actually works.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the exposed rubber and vinyl parts, use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It will restore the look and feel of the exposed rubber and vinyl. I'm thinking here of the cab mounts, the spring and shock bushings, the door and window seals, the vinyl seats, the dash pad, etc.

The cup on the end of the master cylinder piston is tougher. You will know you have the problem when the brake pedal slowly starts sinking when you are holding it down. If you lift your foot and pump it, the pedal will come back up, but slowly sink again as you hold it down. You can replace the master cylinder, or if you want to keep the original one on there, you can rebuild it.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 AM   #27
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
That's the biggest thing people have to think of. I could have bought a bunch of other trucks for 2k or 2500 less than I bought my project "keeper" for.... but I'd have spent 4-5k easily getting any of those to the trucks to the point this truck is at...possibly more...not counting my time...
Yup. I paid significantly more than that for my K, and put a ton into it since, but it was the color I wanted and I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun as I've made it what I wanted. But putting down extra up front to get one in great condition is money well spent.

I would keep the wheels and all just as it is, myself. It looks great to me!

Here's another product you may want to know about. The aviation boys use this to keep oxidation from occurring in airframes. You spray it into voids, and it creeps into everything and keeps it from rusting. This stuff will walk 12" up a vertical surface. I spray it into the doors, the rocker panels and the tailgate very liberally -- enough to have it pool in there, and some will run out on the floor. It will coat the inside and keep it from rusting. The aviation boys re-apply it annually during annual inspections. As the sheet metal on 1978 trucks left much to be desired for resisting oxidation, and was not galvanized as modern body panels are, you need to take preventative measures.

http://www.skygeek.com/10013.html

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #28
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

thats a score for sure.
easily X2 that, maybe more up here...
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #29
mud.man.rj

The Reseal is a really good product that actually works, have been using it for about 10 years.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #30
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber78 View Post
Well, I paid $6500.00 for it. It looks like it was more on the money than anything based on you all's responses. I was just at the Seattle Mecum auction event and trucks in nice condition sold very well and were bid up nicely (over 10K) and not making reserves. So it's all subjective, whats a great buy to one is a stupid buy to another. I love the rig and it will continue to be stored in a garage. Now the question is, do I go back to a rally wheel or I was thinking the 5 slot Halibrand replica wheels??
Nice buy. I vote for slots; they are the perfect wheel for this truck. I don't think I would let the wheels that are on it now get away though.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #31
Bomber78

Thanks for all the replies, positive comments and suggestions!! I will look at all of them. I kinda figured on having to replace the hoses on the engine etc due to their age. But I will be keeping everything I take off and not throwing it away. Thanks again everyone!!

78 Scottsdale - SWB
One Owner C10 Until June 2014
Bomber78 is offline   Reply With Quote