The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
formula_raider

Started new engine for 1st time

Today I was a nervous reck...always get nervous when I start an engine for the first time. I double checked all my connections and fluids, primed the engine and it kicked over and stumbled until I adjusted the timing by ear then I revved it up to 2,000 RPM to break in the cam. All the time I was looking for any leaks. I had made up stainless steel braided transmission lines and power steering lines and was worried that I did them correct. No leaks in engine, transmission, power steering, etc.....then I saw it!!!! Very, very small drip comming from the front of the cylinder head right by the #1 cylinder. It was anti-freeze....it looks like the cylinder head gasket failed and has an extremely slow leak. Temperature stayed reasonable and I broke the cam in. Changed the oil to see if any water got into the oil.. but it is hard to tell with all the extra cam lube and assembly lube that mixed with the oil. I am sooooo PI**ED. It took me 4 years to finish this engine, and it really sounds good. I went with the Felpro steel shim gasket to get my compression ratio up....it is a thin gasket but I took that in consideration and had my NEW vortec heads surfaced to make sure the contact was smooth. And I used new ARP bolts. These gaskets are used all the time in "hot rod" magazines. Does anybody have any idea what I should do.....is it worth taking the header and valve cover off and trying to retorque the head. Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and replace the head gasket again. Its enough to make a man want to quit the project.
Attached Images

formula_raider is offline   Reply With Quote