The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2003, 09:50 AM   #26
chevychic

MSL: I'm taking it to Custom Automotive over on the corner of Beal and N. 99.

Mitch: Could be the same truck. If so, I don't see it being worth $10k. Not with the miles he has listed for it, which would be the one thing that would keep me from getting any truck...high miles with no rebuild. Now, if the price is right, I could justify it.
EDIT: Here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=39409&rd=1

Jon: I do love having a 4X4 especially one that's lifted. If I had owned the truck for a while and had put a good amount of miles on it before this stuff started happening, then I probably wouldn't be considering selling it. But when you pay $3500 for a truck after having someone come out and look it over with you and tell you nothing major is wrong and then the tranny goes south in 3 months and then almost exactly a year later, there starts being what looks to be major engine problems, it doesn't sit well. Not to mention that there are so many things I wanted to do to customize it that I don't have the money to do now that I've been fixing things here and there for the last year.
I know anything I get is going to need some fixes here and there. It's the major ones that I would hope I don't need to do immediately.

As far as selling just the truck without engine and tranny, that would be a possibility if I had a place to store the engine and tranny and if I did that, I might as well buy my friends '69 Chevelle Malibu for $500. It has an engine I could drop right into my truck while I work on the Chevelle. (It's currently in pieces right now). But then I'd have car parts to store while I work on it. It's in the middle of a frame off right now.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin

Last edited by chevychic; 05-15-2003 at 09:52 AM.
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:13 AM   #27
BigRed

Wow, that red truck sure is nice!! But for 10k, no way!!! I'd just get a decent one for alot cheaper and build as you go.

I personally like my '75 for the ease of working on it and I love the round headlights!

Good luck in your decision and finding something!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #28
78SilveradoSWB

Heather:

That's the same truck. I am guessing over $10K. Its seems to be the going rate for nice trucks such as this one. Everyone tries to recoup their investment & time and a little profit. Hope though I am wrong and you can pick this nice one and take it home.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #29
chevychic

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed
I'd just get a decent one for alot cheaper and build as you go.
That's all I want. Straight body, smooth running engine in good shape, and A/C....oh and it HAS to be a short bed.

I don't care about the condition of the paint or the interior (much). As long as the interior isn't thrashed and smell like a 15 year old ashtray.

I have an awesome painter that will paint anything I want as soon as I'm ready. All I have to pay for is materials.

Problem is, all the trucks locally that are for sale are either K10's or have no A/C. For the month or so that it's around 100° + here, A/C is a must have.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
Old 05-15-2003, 03:28 PM   #30
MSL

I have never heard of that shop i guess its because i do my own work cant afford the middle man.lol
Thats not a bad looking truck but like you said not for 10k also i think when i was checking into what years are exempt here it was up to 81 or 82 that didnt have to go through emissions. You might want to call and ask just to make sure unless you dont mine emissions. I personnaly hate emissions to much crap on the engine to mess with mines simple and i like it the only thing i dont like is someone ripped the ac out. If you can find a good non running truck but its all in decent shape buy it without engine and then go buy the engine and tranny setup you would want and put it in. Thats just a thought so let us know what the shop says about your truck im interested in knowing whats going on.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #31
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i think any vehicle which is as old as our trucks will be or become a money pit. Trucks are machines and machines break especially after 20+ years of service and god knows who beating on them.
Being where ya live i assume its country i think a 4X4 would be better to get around but only you know for sure
dont forget also you know what ya put into your truck god knows what youll have to put into another one... starting over from square one it gets fustrating once in a while but hey i vote stick with what ya got

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:51 PM   #32
78SilveradoSWB

You guys/gals in the Rogue Valley have it easier than up here North in the Willamette Valley. 1975 or newer has to go through DEQ. Those in the Rogue Valley go only 20 years back, so 1983 or newer has to go through DEQ. Mine failed the first time, but after leaning it up, it finally passed but they almost tried to get me on my decibel from my pipes. I think 85dbs. is the limit at so many feet. Good thing I am going with AeroChambers this summer, so they won't get a chance to get me this September.

454 BB, TH400
Old 05-15-2003, 04:14 PM   #33
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Heather, I don't envy your position. The best thing about the truck you already have is that you know what you have, and what it needs. It's hard to get that kind of knowledge about a truck by just looking it over, doing a test drive or even by having a mechanic look at it. Your truck already looks great and that is at least half the battle with anything you are going to look at. It might be wise to just spend the $1250 for a new crate 350 if it turns out you need one and then you will have a truck that looks good and has a new engine with a warranty. If you buy a whole other truck you'll spend the first year doing the same things you've already done to your truck and it might need an engine in a year anyhow...
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:48 AM   #34
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally posted by 78SilveradoSWB
I am guessing over $10K.
That truck won't make it on ebay to $10K. If it does, I will be SURPRISED. I say it will reach at the most $6K, but as it is going now, it won't go above 5K at all. It is still at 3K and it has been there for 2 days.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #35
78SilveradoSWB

Quote:
Originally posted by Captkaos

That truck won't make it on ebay to $10K. If it does, I will be SURPRISED. I say it will reach at the most $6K, but as it is going now, it won't go above 5K at all. It is still at 3K and it has been there for 2 days.

I agree, you may be right on that account, but sometimes I'm simply amazed at what people believe their particular ride is worth. At some of the swap meets I have been at, trucks like this one was way over priced. Perhaps this guy is not really interested in selling, just wants to know what people would bid for it, so he sets a super high reserve.

454 BB, TH400
Old 05-16-2003, 02:16 PM   #36
chevychic

I would agree with Chris. I personally wouldn't pay more than 5k for it and even then I would try to talk the price down.

I'm almost positive it's a dealership so that definitely plays a part in them jacking the price up. I would think that he would want to sell it though so he may be negotiable.

But, I do have some good news on my truck....

The shop checked it out and said the engine is great. In fact, the mechanic thought it was a fairly new engine, so I'm really happy about that. He said that his guess would be the ignition and he's giving me a list of things that could be the culprit. As soon as I get the service write up, I'll post back and get all ya'll's opinions on what he says.

For now, I still want to look into selling it or at least stop spending money fixing it up and save up for a clean 2wd.

I will do what I can to get this problem fixed so if and when I sell it, I can get a decent price with a clean conscience.

I think my problem is, I want both. I love having a lifted pickup...yes, it's a small person syndrome and I admit it fully. But I also want a 2wd. I want both and I know if I sell my truck that I'm gonna wish I hadn't but while I have it and don't have a 2wd, I'll always want a 2wd too.

I know what you guys are probably thinking right now.....typical woman...wants it all....

Yes I do....anything wrong with it? LOL

Hey, at least I can admit it.

- Christopher Robin
Old 05-16-2003, 02:54 PM   #37
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Heather,
Glad to hear the motor was in good condition. Keep in mind a good condition 4x4 will typically bring more money than a 4x2 (at least it does here) I sold mine 81 4x4 with a crate motor, factory buckets, sm465, dual tanks, tach cluster, pwr everything for $5700. Plus it had hail damage on the hood and roof (it could be fixed, but the paint was still shiny) I can honestly say that I haven't missed my 4x4 Chevy. That is a hard thing for me to say since I get VERY attached to vehicles. Ask Ken (N2TRUX) I would say replace everything ignition wise on the truck that isn't new and go from there. Get it running and trade for the 4x2 at the lot with them giving you some money.

As with everything, the price is negotiable. Keep in mind the '87 is stock, and yours seems to have a new motor. so that is a barganing tool. If the trans on the 87 isn't new, drop the price of at least replacement off (although they said it has a shift kit) 87 was the "last" bad year for the 700R4's. I would offer $3500 for it today at the lot today and see what they say. When the auction is over, go back and offer again. I think you can probably get it for a little over $4K or less.

I believe it is on ebay trying to get a good "base" price then they will relist once they "find" their reserve. It happens all the time...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:25 AM   #38
bigblock73
yeller

Heather, this truck doesn't look the best in the pics, but maybe it looks better i person...AND it is in your neck of the woods...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=5348

Saw it and thought you might want to take a peek.

...Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:14 AM   #39
chevychic

Could be promising....

but, does that dog have sunglasses on????

I wonder what he has the reserve set at?

I don't like the fact it's a 305 though....could be a good second truck if I were ready for that.

Thanks for the link Jeff!!

- Christopher Robin
Old 05-17-2003, 05:37 AM   #40
MSL

Onething is dont rush into anything. and i know its hard not to unless you are looking for a project more than something you could just drive and do things too. If you have the money just keep looking i got flusturated when i was looking seems like theres nothing worth getting here in town. Summer is a big time for these trucks to be out and for sale thats when you will porbably see them out.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #41
CustomChevy

why not try to advertise to TRADE. could be someone close enough to your area that wants a 4x4. also, should get the older truck for less emissions. like the 81-up look, just front clip it and get the same look without the emissions hassle. and you also get to keep a 350 instead of the 305. everything in the older trucks are upgradeable.

you could even find a 2wd thats in the salvage yard, put your drivetrain, front clip on it sell the rest to someone who want to build a 4x4. lots of options......

good luck!!
CustomChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:13 AM   #42
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

Heather
Just some thoughts to ponder (and my .02)
I definetely know what it's like to own vehicles that need constant attention. It can sometimes drive you crazy and even to the point that you actually feel it's best to just replace them.

Since your motor has been found to be sound and you already know what you have with your 4x4, why not just go ahead and fix what needs fixed then keep it? No matter how nice or new a repacement 2 wd truck for your 4x4 truck might be, you will still have problems. Mechanical Gremlins "can and will happen" with any vehicle.

If you still want a 2wd truck find a stock one with the options you want to use as a daily driver for the shear economical simplicity. Look for one that has a decently solid body and then add your own personal touches to it as time and money allows.

I've also found that if you own one older vehicle, it is always best to own two. One to use as a daily driver and the other to use only when you need to. Make your other vehicle one that is usefull to your personal situation. Example: I have 5 kids. My van is the vehicle I don't really prefer, but it serves my needs.
Good Luck with your decision.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:36 AM   #43
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Well, it died at $4550..
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com