The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #26
WillW23

Re: Hood Hinge Question

The rivets do not wear out, but with long time use, with little or no lubrication, the rivet hole becomes egg-shaped. When this happens, the round rivet is turning in an oval hole, which will create side to side movement in the rivet hole or up and down movement in the pivot joints, when lubed finally. This will lead to misalignment and some arms resisting, thus pushing the hood in sloppy ways when lowering and raising the hoods.
You have to ream the rivet holes round again, after you drill out the rivet and make a custom rivet to fit that exact hole. A couple thousandth's over the rivet size allows the rivet to swell when pressed into place.
I can post a photo of what a worn or oval rivet hole looks like, if you like

Willie
WillW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #27
kxmotox247

I just got a new set of hinges and springs from GMCPauls. So far... so good. Bolted right up but had to wallow out one mounting hole slightly. That could be due to having repro fenders.
I'm impressed so far. The old hinges and springs were just worn out. Trying to do body work and get everything fit and I just couldn't get consistent with the old hinges. With the new ones... the hood closes nicely every time. They appear to be identical in every aspect to OEM.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 AM   #28
leddzepp

Board member Sinister posted a long time ago that his repro hinges from Brothers (made in Argentina ) fit and worked very well. I have never tried them, but if the need arises I plan to.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #29
Grumpy old man

I would use a BFH and a little heat to reset the existing rivet if you don't have a shop press in your garage , Take them to any welding shop and have them heat press them for you offer $20.00 and a six pack of their favorite adult beverage !. You can buy new rivets at rivetsonline.com Simple CHEAP fix !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
Motorhead-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW23 View Post
The rivets do not wear out, but with long time use, with little or no lubrication, the rivet hole becomes egg-shaped. When this happens, the round rivet is turning in an oval hole, which will create side to side movement in the rivet hole or up and down movement in the pivot joints, when lubed finally. This will lead to misalignment and some arms resisting, thus pushing the hood in sloppy ways when lowering and raising the hoods.
You have to ream the rivet holes round again, after you drill out the rivet and make a custom rivet to fit that exact hole. A couple thousandth's over the rivet size allows the rivet to swell when pressed into place.
I can post a photo of what a worn or oval rivet hole looks like, if you like

Willie
Thanks for the detail Willie. This is pretty much what I thought that the issue is more of the hinge hole becomes elongated over time rather than the rivet wearing down. Installing new rivets by themselves without addressing the out of round rivet holes would do little to tighten up the hinges.
1967 Shortbed Stepside - GM Crate 454HO 425HP/500 lb-ft, long tube Hedman ceramic coated headers, serpentine belt drive, Built 700R4, 12 bolt 3.42 with Eaton posi, 4 wheel disc brakes, OldAir A/C. 69' Corvette Lemans Blue. Painless Wiring Harness. Everything from the ground up is either new or rebuilt!
Motorhead-47 is offline   Reply With Quote