The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Re: Today was NOT a good day...

I'm glad you're OK. In the future. Unless you are avoiding something, it's a very bad idea to slam on your brakes when you have a blowout.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
timjt

Just about a month ago I had a 90s chevy blow a tire on the freeway going about 75 or 80. He slammed on the brakes and did a full 180 across three lanes. ended up facing traffic on the left shoulder.

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Dark Knight

The thing about it was I KNEW not to hit the brakes. I barely pressed them and they locked up. It all happened so fast that I guess I really don't remember what happened. Maybe I did stomp on them. I don't remember.
-And a '66 Ford Mustang- 200 I6, C4 trans, rust bucket

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -FDR (and maybe rust too)

You've gotta be able to stop and steer before you can go fast!
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Beat68CST

we have a few stretches of abandoned road (IE: road that now leads to nowhere, dead end.) that get street raced on a bit, my dad and I took his Hayabusa out and made a couple passes, street had good rubber too.

But anyways! Moral of the story! Find streets that don't have anything off to the sides! :P
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
treveiger

I lived in the country and raced all the time out there but no one was ever around and i figured if i hurt myself i only have me to blame. When i was younger and stupider i raced in town a little bit until one time in my buddys car the guy i was racing had a car seat in the back seat.... After i saw that i slowed down and let him think he won and i realised after that its not worth it. If you want to race do it in the middle of nowhere and make sure next time you have a video camera.

My father knew a guy that use to have people speed by his road and finally he got sick of it so he went and bought a child size dummy and dressed it up so it looked like a real child then put it on a tricycle. When the guy saw people racing he'd hide behind his car with the tricylcle dummy and when the were right in front of him hed push the dummy out in front of the car so they thought they hit a child. He had a lot of people pissed at him once they knew and figured it out, but they thought twice next time they wanted to race.

We lived on a gravel road on top of a hill and people would do 80mph or even faster a lot of the times so one day i took my quad and dug up the gravel road doing doughnuts right in front of our house so there was loose gravel all over and about 3inch indents from my tires for around 100ft and people couldnt see it until they were over it. I loved sitting on my porch watching these stupid people come flying down the gravel road and right when they hit where i tore up they slam on there breaks trying to control there car, it wouldnt bother me so much if my nephew and nieces and younger cousins didnt play right out front. Sure they know not to go on a road but a childs mind forgets in the heat of the moment playing or whatever.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Dark Knight

Very creative deterrents. Just to be clear, I wasn't racing, just testing the carb. But I do wish I had a dash cam. It was one interesting ride. Okay, I'll level with you all. I was watching the Dukes of Hazzard and thought that I could jump my truck over my co-workers house. It obviously didn't work. But seriously, I was watching it this morning. The General Lee had a blowout on the exact same wheel as mine. I used to laugh, but now I shake my head and say, "Man, I know how that feels." Come to think of it, Cooter did have a GMC tow truck that was a 68+. I don't know GMC's so I can't tell you the exact year model.
-And a '66 Ford Mustang- 200 I6, C4 trans, rust bucket

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -FDR (and maybe rust too)

You've gotta be able to stop and steer before you can go fast!
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Beat68CST

My dad used to street race in Compton and Watts
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
treveiger

That woulda been a cool video and then youd know exactly how you reacted. But at least you didnt flip and and every time you drive by and see those skid marks youll get a rebel grin