The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #26
79duallyc30

Re: How to fix logo

Riz, i like that!!

Thing is, ive learned that if u do it urself u enjoy the end product that much more. Whats it to a person that just gets handed something completely?? I bet it means more to put work into something and sweat for it rather to go buy it. Anybody can do that.
We r called car and truck enthusiasts for a reason
Posted via Mobile Device

2003 Chevy CrewCab dually, 6.6l duramax-Bully dog programmer
1979 Chevy crew cab Dually 454/t400-
Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...16#post5638016
79duallyc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Skunksmash

During primer and after gold paint. But before clear. Although, personally I can't tell any difference now that its been cleared. The clear didn't add any gloss so it still looks the same as right after gold paint. I guess the clear coat is just a protector and not something to make it glossy. Its Ford gold for some ford car. But they didn't have "chevy emblem gold" on the shelf at autozone so I matched is as good as I could. I think its quite close. If not the same.

And now after gold paint:

Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Skunksmash

Yes I love doing things on my own if I can. But my skills are limited. So while painting an emblem or an interior trim piece isn't so bad, there's no way I'd attempt to do my whole truck. Which it desperately needs lol
Old 10-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #29
1981Stepside

Looks great! Are you going to outline it in black, or leave it gold on the edge?

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
Skunksmash

Yeah I'm going to mask off and do the outline but... I'm not sure if that outline was really black... still gotta figure that part out. I'm thinking that it might have been like a dark metallic grey. I can't remember the last time I saw one that was factory, that was still in good shape.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #31
riz

Dude! That looks so great! I'd be proud to have that on my truck. You must feel so proud to have done it yourself. You asked for help and knocked it out of the park. What a big improvement. Kudos bro!

RIZ
Posted via Mobile Device
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
Skunksmash

Thanks man! Yall's words are very encouraging.

But I do have one question. It has been over 24 hours since the emblem starting drying. However, when I run my finger nail along it gently, it can still feel a slight... tug. Like if I dug my fingernail in just a little bit more, I could start to tear the paint. Almost like on some level, the paint isn't all the way dry. Or is it too thick? The paint doesn't feel hard and tough to the finger nail.

I'm not sure. Its no longer emitting fumes so I have brought it in the house to be in the AC. Its rainy down here in TX with a high humidity right now. Perhaps it just needs to dry for a couple more days? Or maybe I'm imagining it and that's the way its supposed to feel.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #33
riz

Even though you can't smell it, the gasses are still escaping and since you said it's in high humidity, it will take longer to fully cure.... be patient and let it dry completely. You'll be happy if you just let it sit for a while. Sometimes it can take days to fully cure.

RIZ
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #34
INSIDIOUS '86

The proper trim color is semi gloss black btw

Good job on the resto though!
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Even though you can't smell it, the gasses are still escaping and since you said it's in high humidity, it will take longer to fully cure.... be patient and let it dry completely. You'll be happy if you just let it sit for a while. Sometimes it can take days to fully cure.

RIZ
Ok thanks I'll give it a few days. I heard something about not painting in high humidity weather but I can't remember what it was. Something along the lines of "Don't do it" lol. Can't remember what the effects of it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
The proper trim color is semi gloss black btw

Good job on the resto though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man!

I'll use the semi gloss black. Just curious but where did you find that out? Got an old body shop manual or something similar? I had decided I was probably going to go with black since it was the safest bet that it was the original color. I always wonder how people can look up some of the obscure paint codes on some of these old trucks.

Also does anyone know what color is supposed to go across the bar in the middle of the grille on the 87's? There is a stainless steel bar that goes from side to side across the middle of the grille. As you can see on my truck, it was some sort of weird almost bluish grey metallic color. Were most of them the color of the truck?

Last edited by Skunksmash; 10-14-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
riz

Argent Gray was the stock color for these grilles. Also painting in high humidity isn't the best conditions for painting.

RIZ
Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #37
INSIDIOUS '86

I have a nos emblem on my truck and the black was closest to semi gloss. The middle stainless bar has a vinyl sticker that is for body color and the grill and headlight bezels are argent silver
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #38
pontgta

I see the Chevy emblem, but GMC hood ornament?

Where in FL are you? I see TX plates..

Also how did this cost?
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
Skunksmash

Yeah thats an old pic heh. I'm not sure why my emblem is GMC. Probably got in a fender bender back in the day. Or maybe somebody stole the emblem as that was common.

As for the cost, I had to buy

1. Gold paint - $8

2. Clear coat - $8

3. Primer - $8

4. Masking tape - $4

5. Glazing putty - $8

6. Semi gloss black, I already had on hand so no cost at this time for that.

So somewhere in the area of $40-$45 after taxes. That might sound kind of high, but I have 90% of all materials bought left over. And I'm always doing or wanting to do stuff like this so that's just stuff I don't have to buy next time. Next up is my mustang cowl cover. Its so faded and ugly, I'll turn it black again. And, I was kind of tired of that old, tired metal grain on the logo so really I wanted to change that. And my logo got repaired. So all in all it was well worth the cost seeing as how it was a learning experience as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #40
1981Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Yeah thats an old pic heh. I'm not sure why my emblem is GMC. Probably got in a fender bender back in the day. Or maybe somebody stole the emblem as that was common.

As for the cost, I had to buy

1. Gold paint - $8

2. Clear coat - $8

3. Primer - $8

4. Masking tape - $4

5. Glazing putty - $8

6. Semi gloss black, I already had on hand so no cost at this time for that.

So somewhere in the area of $40-$45 after taxes. That might sound kind of high, but I have 90% of all materials bought left over. And I'm always doing or wanting to do stuff like this so that's just stuff I don't have to buy next time. Next up is my mustang cowl cover. Its so faded and ugly, I'll turn it black again. And, I was kind of tired of that old, tired metal grain on the logo so really I wanted to change that. And my logo got repaired. So all in all it was well worth the cost seeing as how it was a learning experience as well.
lol - it's like those visa commercials - you forgot the last line: "The satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself - Priceless!"
One-offs usually cost more in the long run, but there's no feeling like seeing that emblem on the front of your truck and knowing it was all you.
Great work!

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #41
pontgta

That is what i wanted to know if it was worth it, and would like to know how long this is going to last....I guess time will tell

Looks very good...
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981Stepside View Post
lol - it's like those visa commercials - you forgot the last line: "The satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself - Priceless!"
One-offs usually cost more in the long run, but there's no feeling like seeing that emblem on the front of your truck and knowing it was all you.
Great work!
Thanks man I appreciate the kind words. Yeah one offs cost more. But sometimes you get lucky and you already have all the materials on hand. Several of my projects have gone that way as well. Course I paid for the stuff at some point, but the materials got spread out over so many projects before they were used up, that it ended up being cheap all things considered. Then other times its like this one where I had nothing that I needed. But even still, it was cheaper than a new one. I've seen them for $80 or more from those typical resto etailers like LMC and Classic Truck Parts of America, etc etc. All those places think that stuff's worth gold and I just disagree. Its painted gold!! Its not WORTH gold!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontgta View Post
That is what i wanted to know if it was worth it, and would like to know how long this is going to last....I guess time will tell

Looks very good...
Thanks and yeah that is a concern of mine as well. I am not sure how long rattle can paint will last on the front end of a vehicle. Time will tell. And if anything happens, no matter how long it takes, I'll post it up in this thread for all to see.

I can say this though. I painted the cowl of my old 94 mustang, and the exterior mirrors at the same time. The cowl never had any problems in the 7 years that I owned the car. The mirrors took about 5 years of abuse from driving before they finally needed painted again. And at the 5 year mark, the degradation was really just getting started. So my guess is about 6 years and the rattle can paint will be finished. Then you do it again. Or if you're like me, you're hoping by that time, you've been able to afford a nice new paint job on the whole vehicle and its not going to be a concern.

Also I'll post up some more pics of the rest of the process since I'll be working on it today.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #43
dv8customs

LMC sells those for $39.95, nice to do things yourself but sometimes it's not worth the time.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #44
Skunksmash

Here's some more pics of the process. Got the masking off, and the end result. Which as you can see, could have been better. You got some areas around the edges which didn't see full coverage with the paint. My guess is I'll be going after a paint pen to get that part done.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #45
1981Stepside

looks sharp with the black. Be careful with a paintpen, i've had them get unruly with the paint flow. You could always give it a shot with a fine tipped brush. Just make sure you haven't had a cup of coffee and have jittery hands.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #46
Skunksmash

Yeah I was thinking of just doing a sharpie, but then I remembered there ain't no way that will hold up. Done that before and it stayed about 2 weeks. But now its time to paint these. It took 4 applications and some sanding to get all that original vinyl sticker off of them. You can see a pic of them still on the grille if you scroll up. They're stainless steel and I don't know how to paint them. Maybe use etching primer? Not sure cause I have some places on the that I'm going to use the glazing putty. Maybe etching primer will harm the glazing putty? I'm going to guinea pig some of that chrome paint they sell at autozone. If I don't, then I'll have to live with all the dents and there are just too many. So we'll see how that turns out.

Sorry about the low lighting in the pics, it was all I could do at the time. But again you can see em in their original state on the grille up higher in the thread.

Last edited by Skunksmash; 10-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #47
Skunksmash

And I'm not really sure how to lay down etching primer on the stainless steel. Maybe someone can help me out here by just removing unnecessary steps.

1. Sand the ss.

2. Spray on the etching primer

3. Sand the etching primer?? If so with what grit?

4. Spray on filler primer.

5. Sand the filler primer. But with what grit?

6. Spray on the paint.

7. Sand the paint?? If so with what grit?

8. Spray on the clear coat.

I guess those are my questions about this.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #48
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Whole thing isn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey insideous 86. Once you took that thing apart, how did you get it back together? I'm thinking epoxy but I really don't want it to fall off the front of the truck when I'm driving down the road lol.

It was press fitted in there somehow and once you grind off those little blobs of aluminum, its never going back together that way again. But its the only way you can get them separated.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #49
HotSauceZee

Just read through this. Dude you did an awesome job on the bowtie. Keep on keepin' on and that truck'll look sharp.
HotSauceZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #50
Skunksmash

Thanks man! Everyone give me such encouragement to continue. Very nice and helpful.

Cause we all know some of these trucks can be overwhelming in the amount of work they need. If I start thinking about it all at once it makes my head spin! LOL