The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: Another Power Steering Conversion Thread

Thanks to Chevy_Mike, we now have this discrepancy resolved, and will be updated on the template.

The 1-3/4 is the exact difference to the 'rag joint', but this (as mike points out) would be a butt weld, with nothing to spare. And allows for no mis-measurement in the slightest. 1/8 short, and you have a 1/8 gap.

However; if you measure from the flange 1-3/4" it allows the shaft to slip into the flange by that amount.

Honestly though, to leave it slightly long makes sense, one could always cut it again.
Cut it too short, and you have to run up to the tool store and buy a shaft stretcher

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
gabe2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Actually, that makes total sense!

I will make an adjustment to the template.

I took some more pics, and will post them when I get back to my office.

Thank you, this will help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Excuse my inexperince. Whats a template? Is it the adpator plate? I have not bought captainfab's plate but will soon. i just need to learn how to use the paypal system.

There's too much technical words I don't understand why are people having problem installing this.

This is the Way I would do it: Install the steering column, Then Align the steering box with the steering Rod. Mark the steering box's holes. Cut the Rod if necessary. That's It!!! I am right?
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #28
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

subscribed!

Last edited by tapeworm; 01-09-2011 at 06:39 PM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #29
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The template that LostMy65 has helped me create, is a better way of locating the adapter plate. The template will be just a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" paper, that you place on the frame, once the original steering box is removed. It will show you where to locate the new mounting holes in relation to the holes for the original steering box.

The original method was using measurements from reference points, but this proved to be inaccurate.

I'll have to look into the steering column shaft length issue again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe2000 View Post
Excuse my inexperince. Whats a template? Is it the adpator plate? I have not bought captainfab's plate but will soon. i just need to learn how to use the paypal system.

There's too much technical words I don't understand why are people having problem installing this.

This is the Way I would do it: Install the steering column, Then Align the steering box with the steering Rod. Mark the steering box's holes. Cut the Rod if necessary. That's It!!! I am right?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #30
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Captainfab has sent me the template. It was easy to print out to scale. I had just gotten the bracket from him before Christmas. I haven't used it yet, (work and kids take alot of time) but will be getting to that point hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #31
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Thanks to Chevy_Mike, we now have this discrepancy resolved, and will be updated on the template.

The 1-3/4 is the exact difference to the 'rag joint', but this (as mike points out) would be a butt weld, with nothing to spare. And allows for no mis-measurement in the slightest. 1/8 short, and you have a 1/8 gap.

However; if you measure from the flange 1-3/4" it allows the shaft to slip into the flange by that amount.

Honestly though, to leave it slightly long makes sense, one could always cut it again.
Cut it too short, and you have to run up to the tool store and buy a shaft stretcher
Yes, I know all about that shaft stretcher.

Definitely had I measured from the end of the flange, it would have wokred out fine but like you said, easier to leave the shaft a little long and cut extra off then having to stretch it. Just glad my local metal supply shop had the right size DOM tubing.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #32
777ralph

Captainfab, please forgive me for this attempt to influence your design. Rather than a paper template, would it not be simpler to drill two more holes in your bracket as locators, to bolt the bracket to the frame through two of the manual box mounts? then drill the new mount holes using the bracket as a template, remove the locator bolts, and bolt the new box in. Your bracket does cover a couple of the original holes, right?
I appreciate your presence here on this board, and the products you've designed for us. I don't mean to step on any toes.
Ralph
777ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #33
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ralph View Post
Captainfab, please forgive me for this attempt to influence your design. Rather than a paper template, would it not be simpler to drill two more holes in your bracket as locators, to bolt the bracket to the frame through two of the manual box mounts? then drill the new mount holes using the bracket as a template, remove the locator bolts, and bolt the new box in. Your bracket does cover a couple of the original holes, right?
I appreciate your presence here on this board, and the products you've designed for us. I don't mean to step on any toes.
Ralph
Now that sounds like a great idea!!! This way you could used a couple temp bolts/nuts to hold the plate while you drill you new holes, then remove the temp ones and you're good to go.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #34
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

After reading these, I looked at the template that Captainfab sent me. According to the template, it covers up (3) existing holes. The problem would be that (2) of them are right next to the new holes, and one is right on the edge. The (2) by the new holes would be right under the spacers on his bracket.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #35
777ralph

Thanks ChevyMan. That explains why my idea isn't already being used. Should have known if CFab could have doe it, he would have.
Ralph
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that would be easier. In fact that is how the 'other guys' have theirs. But with my design that would only be possible for one of the original holes. The other two as chevy-man5 said, are covered by the spacers. Using only one hole to locate the adapter plate still allows for a mistake in positioning. At this point, I want to eliminate any more mistakes in locating the adapter plate. So the paper template would seem to be the best solution right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ralph View Post
Ralph
Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #37
777ralph

Yep, you're right. So much for my attempt at being the "armchair quarterback"!
Ralph
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #38
idaho66stepside

Oh boy after reading this post I may be in trouble. When I was plucking parts off a 77 burb I didn't grab the pitman and the steering shaft spun around in different direction. How do I know if I will have equal turns right to left?
idaho66stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #39
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You'll just need to turn the input shaft all the way to the left until it stops. Then turn it all the way to the right, while counting how many turns until it stops. Then go back half way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho66stepside View Post
Oh boy after reading this post I may be in trouble. When I was plucking parts off a 77 burb I didn't grab the pitman and the steering shaft spun around in different direction. How do I know if I will have equal turns right to left?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #40
idaho66stepside

Of course! Thanks Cap!
idaho66stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #41
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I'm interested in hearing how things have been going for those who have used the Template CaptainFab has been including with his Power Steering Adapter Plate.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #42
treagan53

i got the plate from captainfab and the install went very well with the new drawing.
treagan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #43
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by treagan53 View Post
i got the plate from captainfab and the install went very well with the new drawing.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #44
Slowtruk

I'm going to revive this write-up for a second.

Today dad and I were walking around my 65 and kicking around ideas. We talked about adding power steering,so I got on here and did some reading. Looked in the FAQ section first and came to this thread. Ive studied it and CaptainFabs "bracket page" and this looks pretty dang simple from the added drawing that now comes with it.

My questions are these.

1. What years of steering box will work? I see a lot of 70's models used. I have access to a complete setup off an 89 chevy, would that work? If not, I could purchase a new or rebuilt unit from the parts house that would work. I just need to know what years would work.

2. I think I read that the pittman arms are different lengths (meaning the existing 65 I have and one of a different year)?

3.Can I use my factory steering column, obviously after cutting it down?

4. Once I bought Fab's plate, bolted in the steering box, made the necessary cuts and welds to the steering column, i would just need hoses to run from the box to the power steering pump and voila?

Thanks for any advice, I'd really like to do this. Assuming captain fab's plate is still available
Slowtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #45
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowtruk View Post
I'm going to revive this write-up for a second.

Today dad and I were walking around my 65 and kicking around ideas. We talked about adding power steering,so I got on here and did some reading. Looked in the FAQ section first and came to this thread. Ive studied it and CaptainFabs "bracket page" and this looks pretty dang simple from the added drawing that now comes with it.

My questions are these.

1. What years of steering box will work? I see a lot of 70's models used. I have access to a complete setup off an 89 chevy, would that work? If not, I could purchase a new or rebuilt unit from the parts house that would work. I just need to know what years would work.
No, a '89 steering box will not work, unless it is from a 2wd Suburban or Blazer. The years of steering boxes to use are from '69-'87 C10,20 and 30 pickups, Suburbans, and 2wd Blazers.

Quote:
2. I think I read that the pittman arms are different lengths (meaning the existing 65 I have and one of a different year)?
You will have to use a pitman arm from/for a '69-'87 C10,20 or 30. Same as for the steering box above

Quote:
3.Can I use my factory steering column, obviously after cutting it down?
Yes you can use your original steering column. The installation instructions show you how to re-use your original flange, or you can purchase the tube and flange I sell.

Quote:
4. Once I bought Fab's plate, bolted in the steering box, made the necessary cuts and welds to the steering column, i would just need hoses to run from the box to the power steering pump and voila?
Yep, that's about it.

Quote:
Thanks for any advice, I'd really like to do this. Assuming captain fab's plate is still available
Yes, all of my parts are still available. Send me a PM when you're ready.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #46
Slowtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
No, a '89 steering box will not work, unless it is from a 2wd Suburban or Blazer. The years of steering boxes to use are from '69-'87 C10,20 and 30 pickups, Suburbans, and 2wd Blazers.

You will have to use a pitman arm from/for a '69-'87 C10,20 or 30. Same as for the steering box above

Yes you can use your original steering column. The installation instructions show you how to re-use your original flange, or you can purchase the tube and flange I sell.

Yep, that's about it.

Yes, all of my parts are still available. Send me a PM when you're ready.
you pretty much answered all my questions! I'll be pm'ing you tonight!
Posted via Mobile Device
Slowtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #47
Heater63

Bump.

Let's review the idler arm- are you guys using original year idler arm to the chassis/linkage, or updating to a different year? ? or changing spacers on it??

I am installing on a '63, have an '86 PS box mounted, and a new '86 pitman arm.
I don't have everything tightened down, but just mocking it up it looks like: a) the center drag link is extremely close to the crossmember b) the idler arm needs to be flipped and mounted without the spacer block to get it aligned "neutral". Here is a picture of the '63 idler arm, no spacer, but "flipped". I put a piece of blue tape on it to make it show a little better. This looks correct to my eye. Disregard the tie rod angle, it is just laying there.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #48
dracko

Quote:
I'm interested in hearing how things have been going for those who have used the Template CaptainFab has been including with his Power Steering Adapter Plate.
I used the template also and it worked like a charm. After punching holes where the original bolts go, I just bolted/taped the template to the frame and center punched the new holes. Easy as pie. And man is this thing a dream to drive now. I no longer fear parking lots. lol. Thanks!

Quote:
Let's review the idler arm- are you guys using original year idler arm to the chassis/linkage, or updating to a different year? ? or changing spacers on it??
I didn't mess with the idler arm. Haven't had any issues with the drag link bar rubbing the cross member.

Last edited by dracko; 01-03-2012 at 05:53 PM.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #49
Heater63

[I didn't mess with the idler arm. Haven't had any issues with the drag link bar rubbing the cross member.[/QUOTE]

dracko, thanks for the info. So you used the old idler arm? Could you do me a favor? and post a picture of your idler arm that shows if it is centered or off center when the steering box is centered.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #50
dracko

Yeah I left the old one on there. All my steering components need to be replaced, I just need to decide if I'm gonna go to disk brakes before ordering all the parts up.

I will get a pic tomorrow. Have you tried bolting it up and working the steering back and forth? I haven't heard much about folks needing to modify it when switching to power steering.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote