The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #26
Old Truck Man

Re: broken rocker arm stud

Ok its not like ive never messed around with a 307 engine. I have a 307 in my 57 dump truck. And it has 305 heads, The casting number 602 heads have about 58 CC of combustion chamber. they wil make good compression on a 307. the 305 heads already have a larger intake 182 valve than stock 307 heads. The 882 casting number 350 74 cc heads will greatly lower your compression. you don't need big valves & ports on a small cube small bore long stroke engine. what im trying to say is the 305 heads will perform better than the 350 heads on a 307. too much cam reduces low rpm power and causes all sorts of valve train geometry problems. I suggest a stock GM hydraulick cam and stock rocker arms. A 350 -350 HP cam would be plenty big for your 307. However you go ahead and spend your money think and do as you wish your the one paying for it. I really wish that all of my lifes problems would have came when I was 18 years old and knew everything!
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #27
three80three

First off I don't have a 307 its a 350 vortex motor so why do you keep implying 307 it's cool I'll find a way to get it right with the big cam
three80three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #28
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have ran big cams in SBC's on the street for a looooong time. Big cams need RPM to net any gains. RPM's mean stronger rotating assemblies as well as good flowing heads. Open plenum intakes, headers, free flowing exhaust and a good carb too. If using an automatic transmission, you'll need around 3,000 RPM stall and some internal mods. Also nothing short of 3.73's in the rear.

Remember... just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Learning is all part of the game. You think I didn't do the same exact thing you did with this engine, but about 30 years ago? I did. Except no one ever used 305 heads on a "cam engine". I fought the hell out of a 357 I built when I was 17 with THE SAME CAM YOU"RE USING. It was a complete mutt. A big cam affects a lot of other systems than just the valvetrain. I pulled studs out of heads. I ruined a 2,800 RPM stall converter because I had 2.73 butt gears that kept flashing the converter and created excess heat, which also burned clutches in the tranny.

Been there done that, and got the oil stained shirt to prove it. Some answers have been a tad "harsh", but they are coming from cats that have done it too. You're not admitting any failure by yanking that cam and running one that is more suited to what you want to do. Like you said, you want to learn... learn to listen. Eating a crow sandwich sucks sometimes... but in the end it will taste damn good when your rig runs like a raped ape with the correct parts.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #29
jjzepplin

When I was your age I took a bunch of advice building my first engine. Most from Vic Hubbard Racing guys and Al Hubbard Machine in Cali. Never once did I go against what they said. They even picked my cam out for me. That thing absofreakinlutley screamed and people thought it was a big block. Only had about a grand in it.
My point is = LISTEN!
Or you are just wasting time and money.
=GOOD ADVICE=
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
three80three

Jjzepplin I understand and you know what I'm learning that I just don't want to remove my cam and if it means listening to you guys on how to make this thing work for me. I may be young but I'm not stupid I know I have to listen to someone who has knowledge of what I'm doing I just hate negativity feel me? j Appreciate the way you broke it down to me and everything You said I agree with but when Someone just Continue To braw beat you, you tend To go Against They're advice Now this is my situation I have a 350 not a 307 I now have 350 heads 882s with tighter springs and better valves I have a edlebrock performer Intake w/ a 650 holley double pumper with a 3200-3600 b&m stall converter also roller rockers I removed the 305 heads and found that the reason that stud broke was due to a collapsed lifter (broken) the middle came out BUT I purchased new ones today and checked all the rest they weren't worn o the bottom still flat im not looking to race this thing just want to turn some heads what do I need to do with parts I'm working with now because honestly I don't want to remove the cam.
three80three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #31
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by three80three View Post
im not looking to race this thing just want to turn some heads what do I need to do with parts I'm working with now because honestly I don't want to remove the cam.
Nobody is brow beating you here... C'mon... time to get real.

This will be the last time I post on any of your threads... you need a different cam. The cam you have IS a racing cam.

The Comp Cams Thumpr series are made just for cats like you. All sound to turn heads...

Good luck...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #32
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As for the 'negativity' as you call it and the supposed brow beating, You are the one who has been posting these threads and asking for help. You have been given some real good advise from some older guys that have been there done that and are just trying to save you some money and frustration.

I won't be posting any further 'negativity' in your threads.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #33
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
As for the 'negativity' as you call it and the supposed brow beating, You are the one who has been posting these threads and asking for help. You have been given some real good advise from some older guys that have been there done that and are just trying to save you some money and frustration.

I won't be posting any further 'negativity' in your threads.
Ditto
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote