The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
IllinoisK30

Full Time Dana 60al

I just acquired a 1977 Chevy K30 SRW standard cab from Arizona. According to the info in the glove box it was originally bought in New Mexico and spent all of its life in Arizona, as far as I can tell it still retains the original 350 and is a factory 4-speed truck with 205 case. The body is very solid. The cab and frame are in great condition with very little outer cab corner work needing to be done. Front fenders and hood are junk. It must have sat under a pine tree at one time and the needles worked there way down to start the rotting process. This truck also came with factory bucket seats that I need to track down. Enough about the truck. I always thought that if the truck had a part time transfer case and manual trans it should have lockouts on the axle.
I bought it with some cheap lockouts on it but they did not work correctly and were very loose in the hub. I bought some original lockouts on eBay. I went to install them and there was no outer groove in the hub to hold the lockout body in the hub. It was smooth all the way out. I looked in my parts book and it did not show a locking hub break down for 77-78 trucks with Dana 60 just the full time drive gear and dust cap. I checked my later parts book and it shows the lockouts for the Dana 60's coming into view in 1979. I checked my '79 GMC and sure enough it had the groove at the outside of the hub for the snap ring.
Did 77-78 one ton trucks come with full time hubs regardless of wheather it was a manual or auto trans? Thanks for any help.
Posted via Mobile Device
IllinoisK30 is offline   Reply With Quote