The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Why we buy Craftsman tools...

Personally, I don't use the Craftsman ratchets, but AI do use their hand tools and sockets. I have a good selection of SK tools and ratchets in my tool box and they are a very good product,. It is a shame that SK has taken a hiatus from the market place, though.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #27
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I have found that if a person believe's a product is junk they will prove it, regardless of the quality.
I have quite an assortment of hand and power tool's, mostly Craftsman.
I love my Craftsman stuff, no issue's with quality . I have broke a thing or two but never an issue return'n em.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #28
Mxracer202

I think Ill stick with CRAFTSMAN

TROUBLE MAKER RACING

"If you can't stand BEHIND our troops, please stand in FRONT of them."
Mxracer202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #29
GRX

Stopped in Sears yesterday to take a look. Less "Made in USA" on the tool packaging all the time.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
NorrisC10

When my dad passed, 12 years ago, I inherited all his tools and box, all he had was craftsman stuff. So far I have yet to return any of those tools,

But i have purchased a few in the recent years and broke two extensions, and a 3/8 drive (which they have returned with no problem and no paperwork at all)

I guess I keep buying craftsman cause it's all i've ever known
NorrisC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #31
Stew_Magoo
Account Suspended

Snap-On...
Stew_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Magoo View Post
Snap-On...
There's a lot of options between Craftsman and Snap-On. Snap-On is importing stuff pretty hard, and charging forged silver prices. No USA on their ratchets???? And if you don't work in a shop with a good regular SO driver you have the same warranty as the mail order companies.

I've been thinking of buying some new wrenches, and Wright is currently at the top of my list.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #33
camshaftgsxr

i actually work at the sears auto center right now, and their base model ratchets suck, they are cheap and clunky. however, they have two other ratchet levels, a 60 something tooth which is a good quality ratchet, and an 84 tooth which is snap-onesque in quality and function.

its just not worth paying 3 times as much money so that when it breaks i have to call the tool truck and then wait a week for the guy to show up. instead of heading over to sears when i need a replacement.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #34
big_al_71

For the weekend warriors craftsman is perfect for an everyday 8 hour mechanic there is nothing better than snapon, mac

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
Stew_Magoo
Account Suspended

Yeah, I work on wood chippers, stumpers, garbage trucks, street sweepers, sewer equipment, end loaders, back hoes. Lots of different things. 40 hours a week, a bad snow storm will have me working 80 hours. I can't afford to use anything but the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stew_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #36
earlthegoat2

I have quite a few Craftsman tools as well.

I have taken to replacing my broken ones with older US made ones at flea markets.

Many tools Craftsman used to make here are now made in China. This does not include sockets and raised panel wrenches. If you want something similar to Craftsmans Chinese products then just get Gearwrench. At least they are made in Taiwan.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #37
hatt

New Gearwrench is made in China. At least most of their stuff, if not all.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #38
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Bought my first set of Craftsman handtools in 1973. You know a 1/2 and 3/8 drive ratchet with sockets, screwdrivers, allen wrenches etc. I am what you call a weekend warrior with my tools and over the years I cranked on those ratchets lots and lots of times with a 15 inch pipe slipped over the ratchet to get more leverage. About 2 years ago ( or it may be three ) I had the 15 inch pipe on the 3/8 drive ratchet trying to loosen a bolt or nut and the ratchet stripped. After 35 years it finally gave out. I took it to Sears and the lady said we dont have this kind anymore but go pick another out and we'll excahnge it, which I did. I did strip a brand new blade screwdriver 2 years ago and although I can get a replacement they never have one in the store or on line. As has been said Craftsman are good for the weekend warrior.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #39
PatrickGMC70

I swapped a Craftsman ratchet out a few years ago that I stripped out by using a cheater bar (I have a breaker bar now). Sears swapped it out with not problems. Haven't tried it recently though.

I am thoroughly disappointed with my torque wrench from them. I always turn it down to zero, used it about half a dozen times, and it broke just sitting in the case in my tool box. I has a cheap plastic lock ring that won't tighten anymore. No lifetime warranty on torque wrenches.

I still by hand tools from them, but I'll be pissed about that torque wrench forever.
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #40
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGMC70 View Post
I swapped a Craftsman ratchet out a few years ago that I stripped out by using a cheater bar (I have a breaker bar now). Sears swapped it out with not problems. Haven't tried it recently though.

I am thoroughly disappointed with my torque wrench from them. I always turn it down to zero, used it about half a dozen times, and it broke just sitting in the case in my tool box. I has a cheap plastic lock ring that won't tighten anymore. No lifetime warranty on torque wrenches.

I still by hand tools from them, but I'll be pissed about that torque wrench forever.
I have severeal torque wrenches form them and have had no issues with them. I even take them to my work place to have the settings verified regularly. Good wrench
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #41
PatrickGMC70

The wrench itself is fine - but the Achilles heel is the lock ring. It's a thin plastic ring, and when it breaks you can't lock in the torque setting. It's frustrating because an otherwise good wrench is done in by a 3 cent piece of plastic.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #42
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I purchased the models that have the dial setting within the small window by turning the bottom of the handle. The first one that I purchased is over 10 years old and not a problem, yet. I gave it to my son and purchased another for me.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #43
PatrickGMC70

I'm glad you've had success, but a short Google search will turn up legions of reviews about the crap-tastic plastic lock ring.

I still get my hand tools from Sears, but I don't think I'll ever take a gamble on another torque wrench from them.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #44
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

After all of the discussion about their return policy and warranty, you should not have anythng to worry about. Return it fo a replacement and get a better unit.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #45
PatrickGMC70

90 days warranty only. Believe me, if they would have taken it back, I wouldn't be writing this. THere's always the write-a-letter-to-the-home-office option, but I've already wasted enough time on this thing.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Several years ago, when I decided to restore my 78 Chevy truck, the first expenditures I made were in Craftsman tools from sears.

Prior to that, I never owned anything more than the cheapo box tool kits you get for Christmas. I mean it was pitiful! I had a small box with bits of harbor freight wrenches, stanley sockets, etc. I'm a software developer, not a mechanic!

We tore that truck down to every last nut and bolt on the frame. I've acquired thousands of dollars of tools, mostly Craftsman, over the past few years and they have been used like a rented mule.

To date, I have taken back one screw driver (tip broke) and one adjustable plier. In both cases, had no trouble returning. On the adjustable plier, they no longer carried the one I broke, but gave me an equivalent. No hassle at all.

I've broken a lot of wrenches, sockets, wratches and other tools over the years...the cheapo stuff. Craftsman tools have held up amazingly well continue to be my first choice. They built my Chevy truck from the ground up.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGMC70 View Post
90 days warranty only. Believe me, if they would have taken it back, I wouldn't be writing this. THere's always the write-a-letter-to-the-home-office option, but I've already wasted enough time on this thing.
Had the same problem with mine I took it back during Christmas and found one of the temps they hire during the holidays and exchanged it. I was lucky the wrench was only 12 years old.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #48
hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post

On the adjustable plier, they no longer carried the one I broke, but gave me an equivalent. No hassle at all.

Robogrips are the only thing I've ever had a problem exchanging at Sears. The new Robos don't say Craftsman like the ones I had so they wouldn't exchange them. I've since made it a point to not buy anymore gimmick Craftsman stuff. If they haven't made it for at least a decade, they can keep it. Along with all the China stuff they now have.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
cannaert

I own a mixed bag of tools, I have Mostly Snap-on but I do have some Matco, MAC, Cornwell, Old Craftsman and some Old S&K. For the longest time I was the only person that had any Snap-on tools, out of my friends, up until this past year. They all use the Big Box store tools and used to make fun of me for it. But for the past 10 years out of all my tools I have only broken about 15 of them and they seem to go threw that same amount of tools or more every year.
You get what you pay for and that is the truth of the matter.

I do have to add this,
I went to my local Sear Essentials store that was closing and got a complete 300+ tool kit for a job that I had just got and did not want to drag my big box to the place or a small box with tools every day to and from the job.
I was no to impressed with the over all quality of some of the sockets and the 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets are just complete junk out of the box. The 3/8s feels like some put dirt in the guts of it and it likes to switch directions on you well you use it. The 1/2" is had to change the ratcheting selector on it and something it will not go back in once you get it to move over.

I ended up giving the complete set to my 8 year old son because I know he will use them and if he breaks one I could care less and its easy to get new ones for him.
cannaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
BlackedOut67shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
I've only broken 1 square drive off of a ratchet, and that was with a pipe around it putting way more stress on it than it's designed for. Ratchets aren't meant to be used to break stuff loose, that's what a breaker bar is for.

Maybe that's part of the reason your ratchets keep breaking. Get a breaker bar
Their breaker bars are junk...
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote