The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2024, 05:59 AM   #26
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Year of manufacture license plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Yes, they allow restored, repaired or repainted plates if they match the correct color scheme for the year. It would probably be acceptable to paint the letters black to get past registration and then further enhance or correct it by stripping the black paint off leaving the original red, and I really doubt it would ever be discovered as a problem, just an anomaly that only those reading this paragraph would even know about. Nobody would care except perhaps Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Sheriff Buford is the one Bull you don't want to p!ss off. He might just write you up for the scratches to the lacquer on his billy club when he was "inspecting your broken taillight.''
My AZ YOM plates are exposed to constant Arizona sunshine and UV ĺight. The Yellow reflective finish isn't too bad, ɓut the Black lettering is getting bleached out. I may be able to mask off the Yellow background and touch up the numbers with Black Krylon, but it will take some careful detailing. Also the truck won't be street legal with the plate off it.
I've heard of an outfit you can send your plate[s] in to get then recoated with the reflective surfaces, but it also has a state sticker indicating 1971, and their process would destroy that sticker.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-12-2024 at 06:09 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:24 AM   #27
A1971Blazer

In Tennessee you can register the period correct plate on an antique vehicle.
The registration is permanent and does not require yearly renewal.
The county you live in can also make a difference.
I found a site that makes custom plates and ordered this one.
I took it to my county clerk and they registered it, no problem.
In TN no front plate is required.
Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  52.7 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:58 AM   #28
Hook'em

Quote:
Do you folks remember somebody here mentioning they have old license plates available, a stash in a garage or shed? I remember a post from some months ago, but I can't find the thread. I am interested in 1963 Texas license plates.
If you haven't found any yet, check out this guy. I've purchased 3 or 4 sets of 1969 plates from him. It looks like he has a set of 1963 - scroll way down the page.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:29 AM   #29
wpsharpshooter

My dad had this squirreled away to put on his (now my) 68. Which is cool because he was in the national guard in 68.. So I've registered the tag now and I'm legal to run it!
Attached Images

wpsharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:36 PM   #30
chappys4life

Went on ebay and got a 70 plate in the mail. Will see how the registration goes in Texas when it arrives.
chappys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:38 PM   #31
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em View Post
If you haven't found any yet, check out this guy. I've purchased 3 or 4 sets of 1969 plates from him. It looks like he has a set of 1963 - scroll way down the page.
Thanks for that, it is good to know about success buying from the seller.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:46 PM   #32
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Hey dmj, where did you read that you couldn't register "replacement" plates of the correct year for your vehicle in Texas? I see on the forms for both the Application for Classic License Plates and Application for Antique License Plates, that it says, "The plate must have the original color scheme" but I wonder if they mean just because your vehicle is orange and green you can't paint your YOM plates orange and green to match. Those red and white '63 plates are the "original color scheme" for replacement plates that year.

I have two sets of 1970 Texas Truck plates, one is the original blue lettering on a white background and the other is the "replacement" color scheme, teal lettering on a white background. I thought long and hard about which set I wanted to register. The teal set would be more rare since they were replacements but I eventually decided on the original issue color set because it looked better with the color of my truck. I have a pdf of the book I believe you are referring to which outlines all of the color schemes of Texas plates through the years. Here's a link to it on the txdmv site in case anyone is interested. I registered my YOM plates at the Tomball location. I wonder if they would have rejected my "replacement" plates.
I wrote to one of the sellers on eBay and asked why the description said replacement, and he wrote me back and said the replacement sets were for mid-year replacement of damaged or lost plates and replacement plates can't be used for YOM registration. I told him it was interesting and pretty, and he said you could try it and sometimes things like that will be accepted and I might try several different tax offices to see if it get successfully registered at one of them. So, my evidence/statement is only anecdotal. Other eBay sellers have put in their listings Farm Truck plates can't be used for YOM registration. I don't know what percentage of this stuff slips through the scrutiny of the tax office, but I feel pretty confident Plano tax office is extremely picky. I actually like the people working in the Tomball tax office.
Old 06-12-2024, 06:54 PM   #33
weq92f

Quote:
I wrote to one of the sellers on eBay and asked why the description said replacement, and he wrote me back and said the replacement sets were for mid-year replacement of damaged or lost plates and replacement plates can't be used for YOM registration. I told him it was interesting and pretty, and he said you could try it and sometimes things like that will be accepted and I might try several different tax offices to see if it get successfully registered at one of them. So, my evidence/statement is only anecdotal. Other eBay sellers have put in their listings Farm Truck plates can't be used for YOM registration. I don't know what percentage of this stuff slips through the scrutiny of the tax office, but I feel pretty confident Plano tax office is extremely picky. I actually like the people working in the Tomball tax office.

Texas no longer requires registration renewal in the county of residence. A guy could try all of the tax offices if necessary until an agent does what's needed! I too have read that it really depends on the agent at the window as to whether you'll get your YOM plates registered to your classic.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:11 PM   #34
cericd

Quote:
Yep, that's right about the Farm Truck plates, although things can slip by occasionally.

The Application Forms state the following:

"Instead of an Antique plate, the owner of an antique vehicle may use an embossed license plate issued by this state that is the same
year as the model year of the vehicle. The plate must have the original color scheme, and be in good, readable condition. If the
original plate is approved by your local county tax assessor-collector’s office, a plate tab with a registration sticker will be issued to
show the plate is valid.
Replicas of Texas license plates are not acceptable. Plates with an alpha-numeric pattern that are already in use or qualifying license
plates such as a Farm plate, Dealer plate, etc., will not be approved"

I'd never had a bad experience at the Tomball location, we've lived there since 2011, until we just got back from living in Colorado for about 2.5 years. Getting mine and my wives vehicles registered & "plated" took multiple attempts, due to incomplete information on the txdmv website and I wouldn't consider anyone we dealt with there to be "friendly." This was completely the opposite of every other experience I had had there prior to 2019.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:15 PM   #35
weq92f

Quote:
...<snip>...
If the original plate is approved by your local county tax assessor-collector’s office, a plate tab with a registration sticker will be issued to
show the plate is valid.
...<snip>...

Well that is interesting. I've been running my Texas YOM plates for years and never received a "plate tab with a registration sticker" to show the plate is valid?

Did you receive it and if so how? Was it mailed?

Thanks,

-Kevin
Old 06-12-2024, 07:31 PM   #36
cericd

I'm not sure how long they've been doing that with the little tab but a buddy of mine informed me about it before I went. The small metal plate was handed to me with my registration paperwork and sticker. I assume it would be mailed to you if you went that route. If you have never seen one, it mounts like this. Pretty ugly in my opinion. I believe there is a window mount version of the sticker. I'm going to look into that before my renewal.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2024, 07:44 PM   #37
weq92f

Quote:
I'm not sure how long they've been doing that with the little tab but a buddy of mine informed me about it before I went. The small metal plate was handed to me with my registration paperwork and sticker. I assume it would be mailed to you if you went that route. If you have never seen one, it mounts like this. Pretty ugly in my opinion. I believe there is a window mount version of the sticker. I'm going to look into that before my renewal.

Well well well. The last time I renewed the reg on my '67 was back in August 2023 so it's coming around again soon. I'll keep this in mind and ask about it.

Thanks, and yes I agree, it's not the best looking thing.

-Kevin
Old 06-12-2024, 07:54 PM   #38
dmjlambert

A metal tab was not required for my plates, but I required front and back plates and an inspection and registration sticker every year for the windshield just like required for a modern plate. Perhaps the metal tab is for antique registration, which I was not considering.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:40 PM   #39
cericd

Quote:
A metal tab was not required for my plates, but I required front and back plates and an inspection and registration sticker every year for the windshield just like required for a modern plate. Perhaps the metal tab is for antique registration, which I was not considering.
Nope, I registered mine in April of 2023 as a Classic, which I have read, requires both plates, the plate sticker & tab and an annual safety inspection. Here is the wording directly from the Application for Classic License Plates Form VTR-850 Rev. 8/2019 mentioning the plate tab and sticker.

"Instead of Classic License Plates, the owner of a classic vehicle may use embossed license plates issued by this state
that is the same year as the model year of the vehicle. The plates must have the original color scheme and be in good,
readable condition. If the original plates are approved by your local county tax assessor-collector’s office, a plate tab
with a registration sticker will be issued to be displayed on the rear license plate.
"

I wonder if your "inspection and registration sticker" is the windshield version of my "tab" sticker. Unless you have your truck registered as a "regular" vehicle. Then you would get a standard issue TX license plate and the regular registration sticker in the window. Or, it could be an oversight by the person who issued you your plates. I'm not confident that every clerk is up to date on the odd stuff that we as vintage vehicle drivers are eligible to do. I'm sure 99.9% of what they deal with day to day has nothing to do with vintage vehicles.

The reason I wanted to go with the plate tab is I had planned to run one of these replica 1970 Texas Inspection Stickers in the windshield.

Old 06-12-2024, 09:41 PM   #40
dmjlambert

Oh, I see. Yes that's it, my 69 truck is registered as a regular vehicle. I got standard issue TX license plates and the regular registration sticker in the window. Mid year I went in to see them with the YOM plates and had them change the registration to YOM plates but keep it regular registration. If I recall correctly I got a new expiration month and they prorated the registration fee, and they gave me a fresh sticker for the windshield that has the plate number for the YOM plates. Every year I get a fresh registration and windshield sticker. I'll ask them for more details when I get the registration and standard issue plates for my 63. I think there must be several types of registration, regular, classic, antique, and perhaps other types. It is possible they incorrectly registered my YOM plates for the 69 and it is also possible they changed the rules in the last couple of years. I'll see how it goes with the 63.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:39 AM   #41
Hook'em

Quote:
Thanks for that, it is good to know about success buying from the seller.
Seems like every time this topic comes up and I recommend this guy, I end up buying another set of plates. Yesterday was no exception.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:02 PM   #42
MikeB

There's usually a vendor or two selling plates at the "Pate" swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway. I bought an unissued pair of black on white 69 Texas Truck plates. The seller had been asking $200 (pie in the sky), but had them marked down to $125. It was late in the day and I got them for $80. Things seem to get pricier for plates from the 1950s.

The DMV gave me a tiny sticker that I was able to fit in a corner of the rear plate. Nothing for the windshield, though. I registered it as a Classic (or Antique?), which means renewal every 5 years and no inspection of any kind.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 06-14-2024 at 01:13 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 02:10 PM   #43
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
There's usually a vendor or two selling plates at the "Pate" swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway. I bought an unissued pair of black on white 69 Texas Truck plates. The seller had been asking $200 (pie in the sky), but had them marked down to $125. It was late in the day and I got them for $80. Things seem to get pricier for plates from the 1950s.

The DMV gave me a tiny sticker that I was able to fit in a corner of the rear plate. Nothing for the windshield, though. I registered it as a Classic (or Antique?), which means renewal every 5 years and no inspection of any kind.
Antique is the one that is renewed every 5 years and no inspection of any kind. Supposedly Texas is getting rid of safety inspections in 2025 so at that point neither Classic nor Antique will require an inspection but registering as Classic will mean yearly registration but does not have the restrictions associated with an Antique registration, which are as follows.

From the Application for Antique License Plate form, "The vehicle is a collector’s item that will be used solely for exhibition, club activities, parades, and other functions of
public interest; it is not a replica or aftermarket vehicle; will not be used for daily transportation except when routine maintenance is needed; and will not carry advertising.

State law makes falsifying information a third-degree felony"

Old 06-14-2024, 02:42 PM   #44
MikeB

Quote:
From the Application for Antique License Plate form, "The vehicle is a collector’s item that will be used solely for exhibition, club activities, parades, and other functions of
public interest; it is not a replica or aftermarket vehicle; will not be used for daily transportation except when routine maintenance is needed; and will not carry advertising."
I've had antique plates on 3 different vehicles now. Actually haven't done much driving other than what's mentioned in the restrictions, except for an occasional run to Home Depot or ACE.

Never had a cop stop and quiz me, nor do I know of anyone with Antique registration who has been stopped. I don't know this for a fact, but I heard it's OK to do test drives after repairs, etc.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 06-14-2024, 03:41 PM   #45
cericd

Believe me, I've lived in Texas 98% of my 53 years and I know plenty, if not most guys that run Antique plates use their rides as weekend cruisers or even daily drivers. Heck, I know a guy that swaps one set of Antique plates between 3 or 4 vehicles, depending on which one he wants to take out for a spin. I'm also familiar with the "just had it fixed so I'm testing it out excuse" but unfortunately, if you live in a smallish town like I do, the likelihood of the same cop seeing you out in your Antique ride several days a week is greater and he'd be within the letter of the law to give you a ticket. Will it happen? Probably not but I just know there's a lot of confusion out here on the web since no one knows anyone who has been stopped and ticketed therefore it must be legal. It's spelled out pretty clearly on the application forms and they word it that way for a reason, they'll get that extra cash from you one way or another if they want it bad enough. I just like to be informed. So as with anything else ymmv.

Old 06-14-2024, 05:08 PM   #46
MikeB

Quote:
It's spelled out pretty clearly on the application forms and they word it that way for a reason, they'll get that extra cash from you one way or another if they want it bad enough.

At least I don't have a license plate that says "Antique".
Old 06-14-2024, 05:35 PM   #47
cericd

I agree, it's less conspicuous with the YOM plates.

Old 06-14-2024, 06:35 PM   #48
'68OrangeSunshine

I got stopped by the TPD shortly after putting on my Yellow w/ Black 1971 AZ YOM plates. It was a Sunday night. I was going home after work. A late model Tucson Police Explorer pulled me over. It turned out to be a ''training stop''. The Sgt explained he wanted his rookie female officer to simulate a Traffic Stop and I looked safe, with my '71 GMC Jimmy. She said my License Plate Light in the rear bumper was not on so I got a verbal warning.[I changed out the bulbs and gave it a stouter ground strap later]. He then came up to me and asked how she did.
They were also not familar with YOM plates. I had to update them on the [then] new law. Because of its yellow color they assumed I was a snowbird from New Mexico.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:03 PM   #49
chappys4life

Tried to register my YOM in travis county texas from ebay. They say its invalid. Anything I can check? They told me the first 2 letters where in invalid?

ebay seller says they should be fine.
chappys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:27 PM   #50
Hook'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappys4life View Post
Tried to register my YOM in travis county texas from ebay. They say its invalid. Anything I can check? They told me the first 2 letters where in invalid?

ebay seller says they should be fine.
Did you try to register online or did you go into the Tax Assessor's Office? I suspect it needs to be done in person.

This is what my plate guy says about it:

Texas has what is commonly called a Year-of-Manufacture Law (YOM). This allows vehicles that are 25 years old or older to be legally registered with a pair of plates from the vehicle's model year.
However from 2004 to 2009 Texas issued passenger plates in the same numbering formats used from 1965 to 1990. Most of these 2004/2009 plates have fallen out of use by now but many of them still show up in the state's computer system even though they may have been expired for many years.

Some county tax offices will not register a pair of 1965/1990 plates if a record with the same number from the 2004/2009 series of plates shows up in the computer system. So before inquiring about a pair of 1965/1990 plates I have, be sure to check with your local county tax assessor-collector's office to make sure they will register them. The state's policy is that 1965/1990 plates should be registerable, however it seems to be at the whim of the clerk at the local county tax office, so be sure to check with your county first!