The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #26
caminokid
Chevy nut

Re: WOW Cheyenne Super SWB BBC Stepside 400ci Truck REAL? Thinking about it, is it RE

I would care what the spid said to an extent. It say its a BB Cheyenne. Good enough for me. I would be all over that like white on rice!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #27
jorgensensc

Re: WOW Cheyenne Super SWB BBC Stepside 400ci Truck REAL? Thinking about it, is it RE

As you get more opinions, watch the difference in value that members have from the different parts of the country. Northern members deal with loads of rust, so for them minor rust (like this one) shows to be an awesome deal just due to body work savings alone. However, keep in mind where you live and the availability of minor rust trucks. Down here that truck is pretty typical bodywise, if not needing a little more work. I'll give you a great example. I bought a '56 Bel Air 4 door with 63k original miles, absolutely no Options at all except for the Bel Air trim, with ZERO rust. I do mean ZERO. I paid 6500 for the car and felt I paid about 500 too much. However I was willing to take the hit because we were the 2nd owners and the car had never left Brenham after being bought there. Northern members felt I must have beaten an old grandpa and stolen his car! I did a complete frame off on the car (yes even though it is a 4 door sedan) and have easily 30k into this car, not counting my labor. If I sold it today I would be close to breaking even, even maybe a little low. But we did it not to sell, but because my wife wanted the car. It takes the same amount of money to build a 4 door as a two door, but we wanted to prove 4 doors could be cool too. I guess what I'm saying is buy it and build it for yourself. then you won't worry about the money expenditure, but keep in mind YOUR market and don't overpay just because the options are good. Unless going all original, the price difference between a factory BBC SWB and a SWB that I put a BBC into is minimal. The Cheyenne option is nice also, but is merely trim that anyone can put on. So just be cautious. Again Good Luck. I promise I'm not a pessimist, just a pragmatist.
SHawn
BTW here is a pic of the Bel Air:
Attached Images

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I guess even being from the land of rust, there are some turn offs about that truck. Granted it is a well optioned truck. And maybe its just me, the grill, headers, missing A/C parts, wrong intake, junk radiator, carb, air cleaner, steering wheel dist. etc... Even up here with this economy i would think maybe $35-4000. My opinion, the color doesn't help, and it looks like it needs paint and rust repair? You would have to buy it because you want it i think. I am guessing they are asking around 5-6?
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
72Levi

Thanks guys and thnks jorgensen, you are right I do see the price diff around the country. Yee the guy wants $5-6k for it, he keeps harping BBC 400 blah blah blah, I do think its too much for it, it needs everything. Thanks all
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #30
powell72

I don't know you situation, or how bad you want it, but offer $4500 and tell him take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJanzen View Post
Northernly Neighbor powell72,
Just noticed you got to 2k on the posts.....congratulations and thanks for being a great contributor!
Thank you!

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #31
kyull67

5k-6k is double what I'd pay for that. Very nice Bel Air

Last edited by kyull67; 01-15-2009 at 06:37 PM.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #32
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyull67 View Post
5k-6k is double what I'd pay for that.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #33
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Levi View Post
Thanks guys and thnks jorgensen, you are right I do see the price diff around the country. Yee the guy wants $5-6k for it, he keeps harping BBC 400 blah blah blah, I do think its too much for it, it needs everything. Thanks all
He says big block, I'd say bad economy, Nothing is selling for what it's worth. NOTHING.....You can find a nice truck for that money, not a project. Remember value is set by what someone is willing and able to pay not what someone wants... and right now the guy with the cash sets the price.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #34
kookykrispy
The Early Chevy Van Man

rust and crummy, cobbled together aftermarket speed parts seriously decrease the value of this truck in my opinion. That is the 100% wrong intake to have on a street driven truck. That is a single plane holley and it is for racing, they suck for low end torque. I'd want a low profile dual plane... and also sounds like its cammed wrong for a truck. Unless you're building a drag car out of it...

The fact that the bed, paint color, interior color, grill, so much other stuff has been changed/modified from stock is a shame. Sucks that the A/C stuff is missing.

But, all and all its still a neat street machine! The asking price of 5 or 6 thou is too much, because it is so far away from original. I'd give $3k neighborhood if it was a SBC. Factory BBC makes it $4k neighborhood in my opinion. $4500 would probably be a fair deal for both you and the seller.
kookykrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #35
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
He says big block, I'd say bad economy, Nothing is selling for what it's worth. NOTHING.....You can find a nice truck for that money, not a project. Remember value is set by what someone is willing and able to pay not what someone wants... and right now the guy with the cash sets the price.

yep thats what i would say as well. god knows i have a pile of things for sale, way under their value and its still not sold.

i did sell a 35k motorcycle for a friend, took me 5 months and it sold for 14k! i am sure the guy hasnt had many offers.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #36
DANTIP

A Real-Deal Ochre SWB Fleet side BB Cheyenne with very little rust bid to $3,500 on Ebay in late 2008. I think it looked to be more "stock/original" than this one. That was the closest comparable optioned truck I have seen recently to this one.

Good Luck!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
The spid describes the truck as shipped. What you are looking at is a truck that may or may not be correct to the spid. Check the frame VIN to the CAB VIN and the block VIN. If they all match--that's a good start.
NOT SO FAST ON THE BLOCK VIN
The trucks didn't have matching vin numers on the engines like in the passenger cars.
As close as you can get is with date codes.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
Kayotic

$4200 or walk away!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #39
sameyrasmea72

If the frame# and the vin tag and the spid # all match there are some people out there ( me being one of them ) that would pay more for it than just a pieced together truck. But most people would not care. So if the truck is for you, I would say pay the @$1500 over the “real value” of the truck. What is $1500 when we are talking about a $25000+ cost to restore it. At least you would know that it is a true SWB BB Cheyenne Super. ( If that matters to you)

If you do buy it, Yank that stupid radio out of there and give it to me.

Last edited by sameyrasmea72; 01-26-2009 at 10:37 PM.
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #40
dhaymaker

As you can see from the variety of responses, there are a lot of different opinions concerning the value of these trucks. You have inputs from $3,500 to $7,500 and the opinions, and those values, are probably influenced by region as well as individual skill levels of the contributors. Regional differences are huge, ask the folks in the "rust belt" about the value of a truck, then ask someone who is used to working with tin that's in better condition. Looking at the pictures you can find both good and bad. The pros are the short-bed, big block (yes, I think that is a positive, even with the economy, fuel cost, etc.), and it's mostly intact. Then again, there's the rust issue, some non-stock/non-standard parts.

Basically, if you want the truck, buy the truck. If you're buying it as an investment, good luck. If you're buying the truck to have a truck, have fun with, work on, and drive, good deal!

Around here, I try to snap up big block stuff at every opportunity. There simply doesn't seem to be as many big blocks here. Still, I'm thinking I would top out about $3,500 (unless the truck is much more solid than the pictures imply).

Good Luck!

don

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #41
stope4

In my opinion I'd rather throw it away before I gave it away. Short bed, BB, am/fm, tilt, ac cab, parchment trim, front stabilizer, matching vins equal value. A drivable short six cylinder in that shape would bring $2500 - $3500.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #42
DANTIP

EVERYTHING IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU CAN SELL IT FOR!!! PERIOD!

In this economic climate, we must realize most of the values we have grown accustomed to may not apply. If you NEED to sell something quickly you must have a realistic selling price. Also the current owner of this truck should or does realize the cost of restoration vs. the potential selling price. Many of us (including me) own trucks that we have invested more than we could hope to net if we needed to sell quickly. Generally, the best value is buying a well done truck from the person that sold it at a loss. Project vehicles look attractive at the beginning, but generally do not end up being worth the total investment. Someone said it earlier/better, basically you would invest in this truck you are doing it for the fun and pride of a project.

Again, Good Luck!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #43
72Levi

Thumbs down Re: WOW Cheyenne Super SWB BBC Stepside 400ci Truck REAL? Thinking about it, is it RE

Very well said all, esp Dantip. Update, the guy must be smoking something because 1 wk later he raised the price to $7500 go figure! Good luck guy, esp in this crappy economy. I decided to sell mine, for $6950 and its in 75% better shape than his and no takers yet and its a real 72 Cheyenne Super SWB Stepside, his is not even a real stepside!
Attached Images

Last edited by 72Levi; 01-27-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #44
mr48chev

He probably had several lookers and thought it should bring more but let him set on it for a month and then go wave a hand full of cash green money in his face. I'm too far out of the loop on pricing of these things but to me it looks like a 3500 to 4k truck at the most.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #45
chrislehr
Engine n00b

were all Super cheyennes LWB's or no?
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #46
stope4

Better question is how many Cheyenne Supers were big blocks and swbs.

72Levi, that's a nice looking truck. Why are you selling it?
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #47
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
In my opinion I'd rather throw it away before I gave it away. Short bed, BB, am/fm, tilt, ac cab, parchment trim, front stabilizer, matching vins equal value. A drivable short six cylinder in that shape would bring $2500 - $3500.
I see nice drivers going for 1500-1800 around here all the time, some people still would pay top dollar, but thats because they are foolish and you know what they say about fools and their money ? As far as throwing it away instead of giving it away, you are probably on to something, parting these out is where the money is right now...most old trucks are worth more in pieces, thats why you see all these trucks being parted instead of restored...if you dump 3500 + 15,000 restoration into a truck that is worth9,000 when you are done my math seems like you lose about ,oh alot of damn money, if you part it out you at least make somewhere near what it is worth, maybe 2500-3500 dollars.... I lose money on alot of projects, but I also lose money on all the beer I drink at the bar, I still enjoy doing both of them though. Tell that joker you will give him 7500 if he throws in a money order for 5,000.00 to put in the glove box !!!!

The truth is for 7500 it will sit and rot, just like so many other "projects"
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #48
72Levi

Tell that joker you will give him 7500 if he throws in a money order for 5,000.00 to put in the glove box !!!!
Thats funny skirkpat! but true
Chrislehr... NO Cheyenne Supere were either SWB or LWB
Stope4... I had plans on a frameoff, then we had another boy 4 of us can't really ride in it, I am fixing up our Blazer (new interior) and looking for something all 4 of us can ride in to shows etc... It is a nice Super and in good shape. I love the Super and have mixed feelings about selling but can't drive it with two boys and a wife.

Last edited by 72Levi; 01-28-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #49
BigBlocksRule

That's not a big block truck - big block would have been either a 396 or 402, the 400 was a small block.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #50
DANTIP

The option number on the SPID is L47, which is a big block. The small block 400 came out in 73 or later. My big block truck also shows 400 in the description of the L47 engine.

The biggest problems with this truck are the asking price and the cost of restoration.

Dan