The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #26
rideblue00

Re: Calling all Tremec owners

I havent given up on the TKO yet. Im tryin to see what i can sell to finance the TKO, lol!
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #27
Heater63

GMR-Perf had a good picture showing shifter location, but I thought I would detail it a little better. If you draw a line straight across your front cab bolts in the floor (the blue tape in the pic), you will see the mid shift location is 8" aft of that line, and the stock rear shifter location would be about 13 1/2" aft. That should give a you a real good idea of what would work with your seats.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #28
rideblue00

Thats a good picture you got there. Really helpful. Am i see that correctly? : you are using the stock belhousing and clutch setup+ the Hyd T.O. bearing? Because that would seriously cut down in my cost. I was thinking i needed to buy a bell and clutch setup.

Last edited by rideblue00; 01-29-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
GMR-PERFORMANCE

He is using a slave not a hyd to bearing. the slave is pushing on the clutch fork. BTW did you buy that bracket of make it ?? what size bore is the slave ? Did the stock b housing work with out alignment dowels? As the TKO is very picky on that.. he he
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
Heater63

Yes, that is a stock '63 cast iron bellhousing. As GMC said, I am using a regular throw out bearing. The hydraulic slave, bracket, and fork are from Novak adapters (they do lots of Jeep stuff) It's a little pricey, but a neat install. The only thing you have to do special is machine down one of the bellhousing bolt bosses so the bracket will mount. It would be much easier and a little cheaper to just use a hydraulic TO bearing I think, I just have never had one and I am a little scared of them.

My bellhousing dialed within tolerances with the existing dowels, no adjusting dowels were needed.

I will use a Wilwood hydraulic master. GMC, I don't remember the slave size, you can look it up on Novak's website. The Wilwood masters come in 2 diameters, if you need to do something besides a 1:1 ratio.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
GMR-PERFORMANCE

heater i here you on the HYD TO bearing , I am still up in the air over modern drive line to bearing or the novak kit. BTW did you check amount of travel on that kit?? long story on my last motor that was killed by several things but one was that the hyd clutch set up had too much travel and shoved the crank into the thrust beairing unit it gave up and it pulled the cam forward and killed the entire engine.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #32
Clownpuncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
heater i here you on the HYD TO bearing , I am still up in the air over modern drive line to bearing or the novak kit. BTW did you check amount of travel on that kit?? long story on my last motor that was killed by several things but one was that the hyd clutch set up had too much travel and shoved the crank into the thrust beairing unit it gave up and it pulled the cam forward and killed the entire engine.

Normally on a hydro bearing if it gets over thrown the seals just get torn...Your issue is out of site...WOW
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
scottofksu

I'm in the same boat as Rideblue (trying to decide which trans is best for our builds without having to take out a second mortgage to pay for it)... Regarding the use of hydraulics; couldn't you just modify the original bell-crank and linkage setup?

Thanks for the cautionary tale about checking "travel" on the transmission. I will absolutely make sure I do that (once I figure out what it is) and hopefully avoid destroying an engine I couldn't afford to replace.
scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
GMR-PERFORMANCE

My truck being a 62 came with a hyd clutch. I think some are not understanding the difference between a hyd clutch set up with a slave and one with a hyd t/o bearing.

Mine was put back together with the stock hyd slave, however it did have to be move from the pass side to the drivers. In that process the shop that I paid to do this install got it wrong. ALL wrong. In the end it cost me just over 9500 dollars. You would have to read the post about my 383 being dead. No use crying over that split milk now.

I wanted it done and did not have the time and hired it out. My fault , hind site 20/20. oh well gotta keep on keeping on!!!

The stock slave on these trucks will move right at 1.5 inches .
Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #35
rideblue00

Wow sorry to hear that GMR. I am just learning about the hyd slave vs hyd t.o. stuff.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #36
Clownpuncher

Hyrdo throwout is very easy to setup if you know how to measure travel, plus if it's not a fixed mount you will have to shim it to be about .200 from the clutch finger's. They also have a great pedal feel. But a good setup can get expensive
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #37
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
Hyrdo throwout is very easy to setup if you know how to measure travel, plus if it's not a fixed mount you will have to shim it to be about .200 from the clutch finger's. They also have a great pedal feel. But a good setup can get expensive
what is a Hyrdo throwout?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
rideblue00

check this link out :
http://hotrodhotline.com/md/html/clu...draulic_cl.php

it gives a little info on the HYD T.O. setup
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #39
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

The pix on the previous page looked like they already had "high-hump" tranny covers in place before the clearance cutting started. Is that my imagination? Or will a high-hump clear a TKO-500 with only a hole for the shifter?

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Yep stock trans cover will fit with just some trimming on the shifter hole.

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 02-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #41
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Here is a old pic of the seat in place and the shifter location, as you can see it is no where near the front of the seat. At that point I used the old stock shifter rod and just cut it and welded a flat piece to the bottom drilled two holes and bolter it up to the tranny. I tlooks funny but was extremely easy to reach and run it through the gears.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #42
scottofksu

Thanks for the pic with bench seat! Do you have any that show the modifications you had to do to the trans tunnel? I too have a high hump trans tunnel and am interested in the TKO600 option...

That's a really long shifter! Do you find it's length impacts how quickly you can up-shift?
scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #43
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Nope never had a issue with up shifting , did run it at the track with dayton 275 60 15 rear tires and had it down in the 12.60's ( best run of that night) with a 1.8 60 foot. It would never hook with those tires. Funny I did tons of burn outs at the track to try to get the tire to heat and hook, never would. I still have the tires and they have at least 50% tread left, they where on it when I got it, they are BRICKS!!!

I had to trim maybe two inches right at the back I do not have a pic of it. But a pair of tin snips made quick work of what I needed done. The shifter boot covers it fine.

Yes the new shifter is going to be short, that was what I had at the time and I was in a stupid big hurry to get it done. My only transportation at the time.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #44
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I had some issues with my cell phone that I took the pics on but here is the tunnel picture. As you can see it was only trimmed a bit in the rear. Another reason I choose the forward location for the shifter. One less thing to alter.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #45
rideblue00

Thanks for the pics
Old 11-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #46
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater63 View Post
GMR-Perf had a good picture showing shifter location, but I thought I would detail it a little better. If you draw a line straight across your front cab bolts in the floor (the blue tape in the pic), you will see the mid shift location is 8" aft of that line, and the stock rear shifter location would be about 13 1/2" aft. That should give a you a real good idea of what would work with your seats.

Pulling up this old thread to ask if these pics use the 6cyl mounting position or the V8 position.?

Name:  tremec owners.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  46.0 KB

Front shift on the TKO 500/600 is hard to get now and expensive….I'd like to know if the mid-shift position on the TKO clears the bench seat.?

The second picture below looks like it would fit pretty good but the V8 position is forward of the 6cyl position, so I'd like to know which one this is V8 or 6cyl?

Name:  mid shift.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  51.8 KB

Or does someone know how far further back the 6cyl mounting is than the V8 mounting.?

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #47
GMR-PERFORMANCE

full front location and no it will not look up the pics no way will it unless you have some odd shaped bent to hell and back shifter . I long sold it off now replaced it with a 4l80E . Could not be happier.. Phuck Tremec..
Old 11-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #48
bosephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
Pulling up this old thread to ask if these pics use the 6cyl mounting position or the V8 position.?

Attachment 1469619

Front shift on the TKO 500/600 is hard to get now and expensive….I'd like to know if the mid-shift position on the TKO clears the bench seat.?

The second picture below looks like it would fit pretty good but the V8 position is forward of the 6cyl position, so I'd like to know which one this is V8 or 6cyl?

Attachment 1469620

Or does someone know how far further back the 6cyl mounting is than the V8 mounting.?
The second picture is a v8 setup. Don't know the difference between v8 and i6 mounting but the distributor and passenger side head are close to the firewall on that application pictured. If an i6 sits further back I would say go with the front location,Bo
bosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #49
padresag

63-66 all engs originally mounted in the rear holes except for the 292 and the passenger side perch mounted forward. some with sbc move them forward for HEI clearance but there are lots with HEI that mount in the rear holes.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:02 AM   #50
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The engine position in the '60-'66 trucks are all the same unlike the '67-'72's which have the V8's mounted forward of where the I6's mount. The bellhousing and it's crossmember are in the same location from the factory, regardless of the engine
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote