The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
How close is Bay Minette to Alexander City?
About 200 miles. I live about 45 miles north of Gulf Shores or about 35 miles northeast of Mobile, whichever you may be more familiar with.

That SOM looks great in the pic after being cleared.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #27
ol Curt

What's your fuel tank out of?
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
welsh kev

From a fellow 63 Fleetside owner, but a few miles further away.

That is one very sweet truck you got there buddy.

You'll probably be aware of this already, but these guys,

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

are the definitive resource for our trucks. There is a Yahoo messageboard, it's a bit dry and pretty much tech stuff only (the reason I come on here and Stovebolt for a bit of chatter) but the guys on there are friendly and very helpful.

Looking at the pictures I'm guessing you've still got the original Stromberg carburetor on her; as mentioned in another thread on here the Holley 500 conversion is reasonably cheap and well worth doing.

Last edited by welsh kev; 02-03-2009 at 04:54 PM.
welsh kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #29
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
About 200 miles. I live about 45 miles north of Gulf Shores or about 35 miles northeast of Mobile, whichever you may be more familiar with.

That SOM looks great in the pic after being cleared.
Ok that's pretty well narrowed down, I've got family in Mobile, Alex City, and about 10 other places in Bama.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #30
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
What's your fuel tank out of?
It's the 21-Gallon tank from LMC. Pretty reasonably priced especially compared to the No Limits tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh kev View Post
From a fellow 63 Fleetside owner, but a few miles further away.

That is one very sweet truck you got there buddy.

You'll probably be aware of this already, but these guys,

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

are the definitive resource for our trucks. There is a Yahoo messageboard, it's a bit dry and pretty much tech stuff only (the reason I come on here and Stovebolt for a bit of chatter) but the guys on there are friendly and very helpful.

Looking at the pictures I'm guessing you've still got the original Stromberg carburetor on her; as mentioned in another thread on here the Holley 500 conversion is reasonably cheap and well worth doing.
Thank you buddy. And yes I have found quite a bit info and enjoyment from that site since I've started this resto. But I am definitely planning on doing the Holley conversion soon because I prefer the look and want something that is newer/more dependable. Plus that old carb just needs to be retired.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #31
joe231

Quote:
It's the 21-Gallon tank from LMC. Pretty reasonably priced especially compared to the No Limits tank.
can you tell me how low your tank hangs below the frame?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #32
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
can you tell me how low your tank hangs below the frame?
At the moment I cannot but I can do a measurement while I'm at the shop tomorrow. It's a good deal though, comes with sending unit, gasket, mounts, bolts, etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #33
joe231

Cool, thanks
yeah Classicparts.com has the same deal, but from what i've read and remember, it hangs kinda low. low enough it is visible from the rear....
Old 02-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #34
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

Twiggy, Welcome to the board. Looks like the GMC Floridians are growing. The color you chose is off the chain, and looks very well. Im planning on a burnt tangerine pearl for Ye Olde 64 GMC that I have.
Thats cool that your pops is enjoying you modify his old ride, others would consider it destroying it. Im in the process of going prostreet. It used to have the V6 305, but it was removed long before i got it. Anyhow, welcome aboard from Plant City. How close are ya to me if ya dont mind me asking?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #35
TwiggyTheDrummer

Yeah it's a pretty deep tank but I haven't put the bed on as of yet so I'm not sure how much will be visible once the bed and roll pan are on though I hope not too much. If so I plan on grabbing a fuel tank skid plate like on my 94 Blazer and fabricate it so that it covers the tank and cleans up the look from the rear. Though it would still hang low, it would atleast blend with the rear end.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #36
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinthesnow View Post
Twiggy, Welcome to the board. Looks like the GMC Floridians are growing. The color you chose is off the chain, and looks very well. Im planning on a burnt tangerine pearl for Ye Olde 64 GMC that I have.
Thats cool that your pops is enjoying you modify his old ride, others would consider it destroying it. Im in the process of going prostreet. It used to have the V6 305, but it was removed long before i got it. Anyhow, welcome aboard from Plant City. How close are ya to me if ya dont mind me asking?
Yeah the purists probably won't like the truck much with the exception of the engine, valve covers, and trans. It's going to just be a sweet looking classic show truck that I'll take cruises in a few times a week and enjoy a whole lot. Something to make all of my buddy's wish that they could get ahold of an old truck. But it's about a 3 hour drive to the East.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

What type of wiring harness do you have there and how difficult was it to install? Ill need a new one myself.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #38
TwiggyTheDrummer

Well it's a GM 21 Circuit Harness from a company called EZ Wiring that is located here in in our beautiful state of Florida. I can say that it's not as easy as it claims but if you have any experience with soldering and shrink wrap then you're all good. It's loaded though, power windows, locks, A/C, etc. I didn't even use a single one of those though. It is a pain to install the certain tips for the various engine components though, especially for the 305. But it ships quickly (took 2 or 3 days) and their sister company is Dolphin Gauges who's gauges I will also be using in the truck.

But the entire wiring harness and kit is nicely priced at $185.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #39
factorystock

The plaid valve covers were used in 1963 only to promote the efficiency of the new E series V6.A Scottish plaid theme symbolized thriftyness. Interestingly,all V6's require a special adapter plate to bolt to an automatic transmission.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #40
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thanks for that info factorystock. I had heard or read a story like that somewhere. But I bought a Powerglide with adapter plate so that I could do away with the tired old 3-speed.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #41
TwiggyTheDrummer

This morning I ordered the tailgate trunnions and a pair of cam-locking inner bed tailgate latches from Bruce Horkey's. So since those are on the way I can begin putting my bed back together so that the whole truck can roll into the paint booth. I'm also planning on having the inside of the bed sprayed in matching LineX with polished stainless strips and custom stained oak bed.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #42
jason65
Registerd User

So are you Happy...Gilmore? j/k

Last edited by jason65; 02-06-2009 at 11:58 PM.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #43
joe231

Quote:
At the moment I cannot but I can do a measurement while I'm at the shop tomorrow. It's a good deal though, comes with sending unit, gasket, mounts, bolts, etc.
did you get a chance to check it?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #44
TwiggyTheDrummer

Hey joe, sorry I didn't get a chance to measure it the other day. Had some problems with my bladder and had to go get a camera up my peehole to check it out and fix it. But I will measure it tomorrow and get back to you on it tomorrow evening.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #45
joe231

dude, that is a lot of info
no rush, I was just curious
Old 02-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #46
TwiggyTheDrummer

haha, yeah I know. Sorry bro.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #47
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
So are you Happy...Gilmore? j/k
If only I could putt like he could in the movie. Get those big ole endorsement and winning checks cashed in.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #48
jason65
Registerd User

Quote:
If only I could putt like he could in the movie. Get those big ole endorsement and winning checks cashed in.
I saw your 4th pic and couldn't help myself. Good luck with the truck.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #49
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
I saw your 4th pic and couldn't help myself. Good luck with the truck.
Figured that was the case. And thanks man. How's "High Life" treating you?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #50
jason65
Registerd User

Good. But the empty spot in the gerage isn't so good. Ready for it to come home. Your truck is comeing along good.