The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

250 or 327... help me decide please.

Ok, so I'm planning out a motor project for this summer (because I enjoy spending the day in 110" shops with 100% humidity in FL summers ) and I'm trying to decide exactly what to rebuild.

Let me preface this with - the original 307 is in my 72 and runs just OK, smokes and is a little soft. I am planning to rebuild it at some point, if even to only have on hand.

So, I was offered a 67 327, the block is machined and ready to go at 30 over (though I'll give it a once through) and the doublehump heads will need to be worked over, they're not done, though are present. Included is a new set of pistons and a rebuild kit.

OR

do I pick up a 67 250 - guaranteed rebuildable - from the junkyard.

I'm seriously torn here, the initial outlay differs by only a couple hundred bucks, both will likely need $3-400 in machining and another couple hundred in parts.

Can you throw some serious opinions at me about this? I had a 250 in my 68 and loved it, and the nostalgia plays in a bit (plus a general love for stovebolts) but the 327 sounds like a hot deal. I already have the 4bbl carb and manifold for it, was possibly going to put it on the 307.

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote