The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
TugOwar

Carrier Bearing Headaches

Set out today determind to finally cure my driveline vibration. My parts list included 3 new U-joints and carrier bearing replacement.

The U-joints were the easy part, although the part #s on that the parts store had listed were incorrect, two of my U-joints are longer one way than the other, the third one is square. But we were able to go through what they had on the shelf and find the correct ones.

The carrier bearing is a different story. I went to a couple of the older parts places in town that have older guys working. They all said they had never seen a carrier bearing like mine. Then went to a couple of repair shops in town that have older guys working to see what they thought, and to get ideas about getting the bearing off the shaft. They also said they had never seen one like it. Called the Chevy dealership and their computers only go back to like 84 or something. I asked the parts guy to break out the books and have a look. His reply - "we don't have books". WTF?

Anyway, This is a 68 GMC 3/4 ton LWB. V-8, automatic, 2 wheel drive. leaf springs (not sure of that matters)

Two piece drive shaft, obviously. The front half of the drive shaft runs back to the hanger bearing, then the back half splines onto the front half.

The carrier assembly consists on a sealed bearing, front and back "dust covers". Then the rubber that the bearing sits in. This is all sandwiched between two halves of the hanger bracket. The bracket then bolts up with four bolts to a bracket right behind the crossmember.

The sealed bearing its self was not a problem, picked it up on my first stop. It's the rest of the assembly that seems to be obsolete. I could use this bearing IF I could get the old off without tearing up the dust cover behind it. Even if I could get it off that still leaves the rubber sleeve that I can't find.

Now I know someone here has this type bearing and has replaced it before. If someone would be kind enough to share a part # with me, either GM part# or something I can get a part store to order. OR, is there a later model type carrier bearing that will replace this one?

Any and all help is very much appreciated. I miss driving my truck.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote