The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
Spartan

Re: i should get hit

Bruceman I'm not laughing I'm dead serious. Like your grandfather and father I was taught the same. I was just trying to understand.

For everyone else unless you have constructive criticism - keep it to yourself. I think bruceman did a good job explaining what he would do and it makes sense. As for recommending it I was just explaining how I've always done it.
Truckster- a moment load (or a moment as a point of pressure?) vs a static load? I get it. Wanna go into youngs modulus and elasticity too? Seriously, piling on without mentioning proper ways to use jack stands on soil is counterproductive. It's what the example was about.

Brucemans example is enough for me to toss the concrete and go with a steel sandwich for the times I need to use such as a base. His argument for safety was convincing.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"

Last edited by Spartan; 05-01-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I have been caught under a vehicle, and I would not trust concrete, I have to agree with bruceman. I have 1/2" steel plates just for jack stands on my asphalt driveway
I agree too. I didn't know because I've done it hundreds of times and just been lucky I guess. Thank you for suggesting something safe without adding criticism.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
Spartan

Actually, it's been a rough week. My apologies to any offended.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
bruceman1968

Spartan, No worries here, Glad to see you rethink the pavers. Sorry for the misread on your post regarding my laughter comment.

To Southern Shaker, NO you don't deserve to be hit. Glad to see you weren't hurt. Did the jack stand fail because it sank into the ground, or one leg sank, something like that?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #30
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Truckster- a moment load (or a moment as a point of pressure?) vs a static load? I get it. Wanna go into youngs modulus and elasticity too? Seriously, piling on without mentioning proper ways to use jack stands on soil is counterproductive. It's what the example was about.
Posted via Mobile Device
We could talk about engineering if you want, especially soils and construction engineering, since that's my background. But when wisdom loses out, Darwinism takes over. Do it any way you want. I just wouldn't want anyone who's reading the thread and doesn't know better to grab a cinder block or a paver and think that's going to keep them safe.

I always think it's pretty sad when people come on the board and try to help others and get flamed for it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #31
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

mainly sank, got sandy loom soil outhere so im not to shocked but one leg gave out. along with the jack. I Got the truck back on all 4 last night did it the safe way got 2 ,1/4 inch thick plates. When i get home im gonna check everything out make sure all my equipments ok, I Apresheate all the advice and concernd thoughts. Thanks Guys!
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
midniteblues

we do alot of work in the stone drive way stands, jack,anything used out there i have 4 4x8 1/4" steel plates too put down dang them things are heavy as h*ll but they are nice too have

i have my parts truck up on blocks 18 of them six sets of three but theres no way i would crawl under there without some steel up under it i put that many cause i knew kiddies would eventually climb into it. also its not real heavy cause its pretty bare

mr. shaker live an learn buddie just be glad you can still do both
it looks like you have a great truck there with some planning and a serious attitude it could be real nice
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote