The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO
I still can't figure out what he was thinking........ Lot's of cheep crack I guess.
Hey wut up dog, chek it mys rides has crumple zones......WORD
Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

not even worth my time and energy, but hey its a result of a misguided soul playing too many video games and watching too many cheesy tv shows that they strive for an elusive and unattainable Kewl status with a econobox... the cars ain't got no soul... like 7up... NEVER HAD IT, NEVER WILL!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Drogster
Stroke it!

I think the ricer thing is slowly dying out. It will probably never die completely, but if you really look into the performance upgrades for those things, they are a TON of money. It takes a LOT to get a 4-banger to run well (consistently and reliably).

Glad to see 'em go.

Nitrous is for those who don't know how to build.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Well being only 22 I think my opion should be here. First I hate ricers that THINK they are fast. I make fun of the supersized wings, giaganto wheels, ugly paint. When people add those 22" wheels to a civic to give it more ground clearance then my truck...well I almost fall over .

Anyway but in there defense. I think when you can make soe serious power to back up that coffee can well great. I have a friend that has a 97 eagle talon tsi awd. On the dyno it creates 727hp. You might have to see it to believe but I have seen it. You can litterally hear the car coming a mile away between the 3" exhaust, external waste gate, and the blow off valve. I have been in it when it was running and we hillbilly ran it over a half mile bridge....half way over from a standing start we were doing 130. I nearly pissed my pants.
The problem though was it was never reliable. Some days it started others it didn't. After about a week of trying to get it started it finally gave into our demands. The next night the crank pulley snapped allowing the timing belt to jump 6 notches....you can guess what happened. I was not there but I got do see the motor apart....DAMN. I never saw that cam scored that bad or a hole that big in the pistons. Needless to say it won't be moving for quite a while. His car looks completely stock except for the 17" wheels and the 4.5" exhaust tip.

In my opinion ricers are great if they can pull a 11 or 12 sec quarter mile. Otherwise they should be banned. I will always be a dedicated Chevy man, but when I see one of those cars that can actually do something it gets my respect.

That was my little rant.

Mike
Old 03-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Solver

I have to go along with meangreen on this one. The younger generation just has less to work with than some of us older folks. I can't imagine not growing up in the muscle car era. As kids we had alot more to work with in the old camaros,gtos,cutlass's and yes I said it Mustangs. We took all the speed and power for granted but I can always look back and say remember when I owned that car. and the reverance those cars had and still hold today!!! Todays younger generation raised on Accords, civics and minivans will most likely lose that . Most cars made today are just designed to get you from point a to b , Who is ever gonna remember that years from now!!
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 AM   #6
Spoof

It seems narrow minded to get all worked up about someone elses taste in vehicles. As far as I'm concerned as cars a car and were all brothers and sisters if were all wrenching. Peace.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:45 AM   #7
CHEVY & GMC FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solver
I have to go along with meangreen on this one. The younger generation just has less to work with than some of us older folks. I can't imagine not growing up in the muscle car era. As kids we had alot more to work with in the old camaros,gtos,cutlass's and yes I said it Mustangs. We took all the speed and power for granted but I can always look back and say remember when I owned that car. and the reverance those cars had and still hold today!!! Todays younger generation raised on Accords, civics and minivans will most likely lose that . Most cars made today are just designed to get you from point a to b , Who is ever gonna remember that years from now!!
I'm right there with you on that statement I also grew up in the muscle car era and there is no better time in my eyes. Our time has certainly passed.

1969 CHEVROLET CST-10 PICK-UP
Good memories

1999 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. cab 5.7L
Good Memories

With a quart of oil, and a gallon of gas, she won't let no other car pass!!!.

& FOREVER
Old 03-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
CPNEJR

I don't hate the kind of car they're driving it's what they do to it that makes is so gay
72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
Old 03-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #9
71Longbed
Not Mine But A beauty

one things is wut i dont understand ricers say that atleast they save gas not like us v8'rs but when they are really making some serious horses with a huge turbo u think their getting 30 mpg ? heck no ricers are only good for one thing to get to to where you need to go not to pour money into only good ricer vehicles cost too much for regular joes to afford like the nsx or supra or skyline BTW EAGLE TALON is American however the motor is mitsubishi you decide lol
Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 AM   #10
slag

What makes me shake my head is just because they have the power of a motorcycle, it doesn't mean you can rev them as high one!!
Sheet!!!! They're all blowin blue smoke, wow! pretty cool!
Old 03-10-2005, 04:49 AM   #11
RonRdRcr
Are we there yet?

Talking

For the longest time, I had an absolute hatred of anything import. The only vehicles I ever owned were corvettes, trans ams, camaros, a bunch of american trucks and an old 440 coronet. When my wife and I decided to get married, the only thing I had at the time was a motorcycle. She had a honda civic del sol. She tells me I needed to get something with a little more room for us. I suggested a 94-96 Impala SS, she's says "no, you need something that gets good gas mileage, you should look at some Hondas". There was no way in hell I was going to buy a Honda so I started looking at Nissan Sentras. To my surprise the one I ended up buying actually turned out to be pretty quick for a 4 door family car. I bought the Spec-v version which has a 2.5L 4-cyl and a 6-spd manual. I have since used the car for a lot of auto cross races and came in first a few times. The last race I ran, I beat 8 wrx's and 4 wrx STI's and I am still stock. I don't like ricers at all, but I do have respect for imports now as long as they aren't over the top and stupid looking. Here's some pics of mine at the last race I was in.

Ron

2003 Nissan Sentra
SE-R Spec-V, 2.5L, 6-speed

2006 Kawasaki Z1000, Corbin seat, CRG barend mirrors, Clear alternatives integrated taillight, Pazzo racing levers.

1992 Suzuki Bandit 400,Sold.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a vet.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
coltfan

I guess I am a child of in between times, but I prefer the older vehicles. When I was a kid we did not have newer vehicles. The newest was the ford e-250 van. It had the 460 in it and would really haul. I learned to drive in a 78 chevy half ton truck. Nowadays they don't have much to work with like has been said before. My daily driver is a PT cruiser. it has a little style and not the cookie cutter styling of every other new car. Plus you sit up like you do in a truck. It could be riced. But I like it as is for a daily driver. Now for a cruise or just for fun driving I would pick an older vehicle.

I am not really into rice, but if you are that is ok. They do some nice stuff as far as interiors in the better done ones. I would say most ricers are modern customs not hot rods. At least they show some pride in their ride even if their execution leaves a little to be desired.

Last edited by coltfan; 03-10-2005 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #13
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

Meangreen, our kids will probably be havin those electric cars get in the 6's.

I don't like any foreign cars at all. But they are right, its whats affordable to most out there(gettin from a to b). Then they put money into it makin it look better/go faster. The real big problem I have with em though are the automatics. Somehow it doesn't seem right without a stick. And most won't get into older cars, I believe, cause its all about electronics today. They're becoming high payin techs workin on these cars and gettin' em to pump out that much power and fix em. When I go back to school hopefully this fall and take that auto tech class I don't think I'll even be working on anything carb'd, atleast I never saw anyone workin on one unless it was their own.

But you know, everytime you beat them, thats when they go out and buy more of those ridiculous 'horsepower gains' like the myth of the sticker.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #14
>X<
registered IWATA user

wow, its great knowing a group of people to open to other forms of motorsports

if its fast, i respect it. i have friends with 11 second "rice". one buddy has less than 3 grand into an 11 sec crx. can you do that with a chevy truck? to each his own. i hate the lifestyle of the ricers more than the cars, but they arent far from the minitruck thugs. who cares. oh yeah, its not just honda's

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/778441/2

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #15
Peregrine

I love and hate them. I'm in a group called Louisville Streets. At our lot you can see over 100 cars at a time on a warm night. There are maybe only 10 domestics in 250 ish cars. I like imports of they are done right. I'll never knock someone who puts his own time, money and effort into a car as long as it makes sense. Kids who put cold air inatakes on and everything else is cosmetic and they think they have the baddest car ever, they make me mad. A couple here has 2 Lotus Elises, a 700 horse miata and 2 RX7s. There's actualyl a realyl godo car scene here. And most everybody in Louisville Streets isn't the typical ricer. We actualyl know know about cars, care more about the drivetrain, do the work ourselves, and don't drive like idiots. Only show your hand when you have to.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #16
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Hate ricers? Yes. Serious enthusiust looking for more power/performance no matter what they drive? No.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
>X<
registered IWATA user

yeah, what zumo said. most of you group anybody that takes something foreign, adds somethign for looks/power a into the "ricer" group.

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #18
COBALT

I don't agree that this is just a fad. The one unique difference between the old flat-head v-8 hotrod days, the muscle car days, and now is that this "genre" of racing and performance crosses cultural boundaries. It doesn't take a genius to realize that it didn't originate in the states. This type of thing is HUGE in asia. The American market is a bleed-over from these other countries - at least that's my observation.

So...if it's being fueled by other cultures that didn't have a classic hotrod and muscle car era - that means this is IT for them. This is their "hot rod" culture. There are no "old-school" days for them - unless you include the crazy days of the moped and the taxi pulled by a donkey. It's not going away any time soon. It'll just get more technical and more expensive, more elaborate.

On that note I can't stand it. Not because of the stigma of annoying highschool punks tearing around in abnoxious vehicles their parents bought them (I expect that now), but because it is so EASY to drop $200 on a moderate import coup or sedan, and go tearing around the freeways thinking you're actually IN the movie Fast & Furious, and putting innocent people in jeopardy for their own entertainment.

I don't think a majority of the beginners that get into this have the respect for their cars that the old-school guys had for theirs. My dad's '55 chevy was his prize posession, and yes he did race around and stuff, but he also treated it like a family member. It was harder to get a car back then, so whatever work you did on it was to keep it reliable first, and make it faster second.

Now our culture is hyper-media infused. We watch too many movies and TV, live lives of convenience, and are more interested in self-indulgence than personal achievement, sacrifice or hard work. Multiply that by the impression MTV gives our youth that everyone is rich, everyone goes to Jamaica for spring break, and if you don't get what you want when you want it then life isn't fair. Multiply that with the fact that cars are smaller, perform better out of the factory, and there are speedpro shops waiting for kids' money for cheap modifications that cost $500 a pop. If they don't have the money then they resort to getting involved in auto theft rings and insurance scams to get it.

On Sunday last weekend I had to drive to South Seattle past downtown to get some stuff for the house. We passed 3 accidents that appeared to have happened all at once. All 3 of them happened in those classic long turn entrance ramps to the freeway where people have a bad habit of driving fast and race to be "first in line". All 3 of them involved some lowered import with a body kit, and all 3 of them included medics putting teenagers with broken limbs on backboards and neck braces. The other drivers were families in station wagons and SUVS comming back from family vacation.

THAT is the problem. It's not constrained to racing each other. These idiots get it into their heads to race people who don't even know they're racing them...
Seattle, WA.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #19
R 78 PROJECT
<<< R 67 PROJECT

Cool

I used to be narrow minded on this subject,but now I've come to realize that there are white people and there's white trash same as there's forien muscle campared to ricers so as Zumo pointed out but in different words.
You cant condem the guys for extracting high hp from thier cars I'm not talking fart cans,stickers and big wings I'm refering too cams,bores and head work ect. stuff that we as hot rodders did in the 50's making somthing go faster than the next guy.
When I was a kid there was no hopped up datsun b210's or civics no body needed to fix them up for speed there was ample 60's and 70's muscle cars to be had the only thing fixed for speed were v.w. bugs and there was some low 11sec. bugs but other than that you might see a 240Z w/a V8 stuffed in it they were more for show my point some of us need to stop and think before we speak on what were not educated on.........
-67 C-10 stepside my toy
Old 03-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #20
67ChevyC10Stepside

i dont hate the cars....i hate the 17 year old kid who dont know what a freakin spark plug is but goes and puts 20000 stickers on the honda civic his daddy bought him sends it to a shop to get a fart can on it then runs around thinking he's cool. i'm 18 and in high school and i see this EVERY day.....there are so many cavaqueers and civics and talons etc etc etc every one of them could be a nice car but they take them stupid....what is it apc or something like that stickers and put all over them and put a wing on a fart can and think they are king of the world.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #21
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I hate ricers and the people that drive them mostly. I know a couple people with talons and civics and their pretty damn fast. They actually did most all of the performance upgrades them selves. Plus they did n't put a million stickers on there cars. They may have like a total of 10 or something. These people can actually carry on a conversation about older cars and trucks and newer ones at the same time and they know what their talking about. I would rather have my trucks but to each his own.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #22
oldraven

A lot of good points, and a lot of flat out blind hatred here.

I think people assume anything import that isn't stock is rice, when that's not the case. Rice is cars with obvious cosmetic upgrades that serve no purpose than to get attention.

I cruise with two different clubs in Edmonton. One has almost all domestics and 95% Mustangs, and the other is predominantly import. That scene is as varied as they come. You have one group, which is the typical rice. All Neons and rims too big to drive on, with wings that could recieve satalite signals, and body kits that make every car look the same, despite being completely different makes when stock. Some of the punks have **** attitudes, too. But most of these guys are down to earth car guys, with a priority on performance. Most cars are stock on the outside with minor changes to the exterior to make it their own. They swap motors or turbos from other cars and port the heads themselves. They replace almost every suspension part to turn these little cars into go carts, with zero ride height and really wide rubber. Most of the guys are quite down to earth, though. Really nice guys, and this crew is actually responsible for my quitting street racing. How's that for fighting the stereotype.

Then there are the guys who do both. Like my friend Alan who has a '91 Integra. He started out as pure rice, back when it was black, with a shelf wing, body kit, and a fart can. But he got my brother to do some engine work to it, and planted the power seed. Now he's got a crazy car that needs to have driveline upgrades to put the power down. He kept on adding rice, by painting it orange, adding decals, he did at least remove that hideous wing, and a hood with scoops straight off of a Ram Air Trans-Am. (we've all convinced him to change the hood, and it's waiting to go on.)

Engine: Acura B18A1 – 1.8L DOHC 16-valve

Engine Modifications: Garrett T3, Custom turbo manifold SUS304 hi-grade stainless, Turbonetics Deltagate 9 Pounds spring load, Blitz Blow off valve, FMIC intercooler flow over 800cfm, Custom stainless steel 3-inch down pipe, Magnaflow Racing 3-inch muffler, DEI exhaust wrap, K&N Airfilter, AEM Fuel Preassure regulator, NOS Fogger System/ 55 Shot, Skunk Adjustable Cam Gears, ZEX Spark Plugs, Magnecore Sparkplugs, MSD Ignition/MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster HVC ignition Coil, MSD Distributor cap, Taylor Cable wiring tubing

And that's just the engine. I have to respect that much effort and passion for motoring. It's not my style, on the outside, but he's got a very nice ride, and it'll blow the pants off most the cars I've been in. Without the nitrous, he took me out for a ride, and it got up to about half power when the clutch started slipping. It was still building boost, and we were flying. But you could hear the engine climbing faster than the car was accellerating.

'87 TurboCoupe 2.3Turbo intercooled 5-spd
www.cardomain.com/id/oldraven

'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #23
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I'm not going to read this thread, but guys don't be haters. I have no problems whatsoever with imported cars. While i hate the average stock Civic with a fart tip, wing, and stickers that has a 4-banger and a automatic, i like a nicley done import almost as much as a nicley done domestic.
There are some cool and some fast imports out there. One of my friends has an '88 Chrysler Conquest TSi. It is an imported Mitsubishi (actually says "Imported for Chrysler" on the back bumper). The car is RWD, has a 2.6L I-4, a turbocharger and intercooler, and a 5-speed. It is defenitly faster than my truck, gets much better gas mileage, and corners a hell of a lot better. Also cuts some good donuts since it is RWD.
Another one of my friends has a '98 Eclipse (non-turbo) with 18" wheels and airbags, and a pretty good sounding deep aftermarket fart can. The car is sticker-free, looks awesome, and the airbags make it cool. It is about as fast as my truck.
I've also rode in a '04 Nissian Sentra SE-R Spec-V before, defenitlly a cool car. A cheap 4-door hot rod with a huge 2.5L I4 and a 6-speed....as well as 4-wheel huge disc brakes. It wasn't that fast, but cornered awesome and was a very fun car.

Anyway, i really don't like the average punk high school kid with a 16-second car that tries to race everyone, the average ricer poser ride pisses me off. But i do enjoy a nicley done import. I still prefer domestics because i like V8's and RWD, but if i had about $20k to spend on a new car i'd go pick up a Spec-V and add some mods (like a turbo...).
Old 03-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #24
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Also it is very true that my generation has little to work with. I stopped driving my 33 year old truck because i couldn't afford to fill it up with gas....12mpg on premium absolutley killed my finances since i'm on a college budget. Not to mention my truck is extrmeley unreliable. It was great when i was in HS and only drove 5 miles to school and back ever day, to work, and a little bit of cruising. But when i started needing it to drive long distances is started to suck. I bought my car for the gas mileage and reliability and it has to be one of the better decisions i've made so far. Technically its not rice (it is a GM car, made in Tennessee) and it is 100% stock except for the audio system and stay that way.
I am planning on keeping my truck forever though....it is just way to cool and i miss having RWD and a V8 with craploads of torque.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #25
shortymac83
hmm...

for those that say those cars are cheap, I don't understand. I look at it this way:

I got my delta 88 (2 dr, RWD V8) for $500. $3,000 later, it's driveable. If I wanted to be fast, I could have spent that $3,000 toward that end, and have had a 12 second street car. For $3500, you've just got your foot in the door with an older civic and a "decent" motor, and you'll never be as fast as a V8 RWD would be for the same amount of $$$$$. My thing is, young people see old cars (I.E. 60's/70's musclecars) and call them fast. They see ricers and call them fast. What they don't understand is that the 80's produced a lot of relatively quick (15's) cars that can be bought for next to nothing. I'd bet you that you could find a rust free 2 door caprice with a 305 for under $1500 anywhere in the country. Personally, if I'm going to build a car, I like the idea of a 4 door. definite sleeper potential there. But still, you could get a cutlass or monte for really cheap as well, and those are a lot easier to find in the 2 door variety.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

Closed Thread