The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Speedometer Converter

I am running a NV3500 trany in my 70 Chevy. It has a electronic pulse speedo sender that does not work with my trucks original mechanical speedo. I ran into a guy a year ago that builds gauges and gauge calibration tools for some of the bigger auto and aeronautical companies. I have been checking in on an electrical to mechanical conversion module that he has been working on for the last year or so. He has just informed me that it is about a month or so from being complete. I was thinking there might be some guys with the same problem I have and would be interested in the same product. When I talked to him last I told him about the site and asked if a group discount would be possible. He said because I have been following this project from the beginning and because I am on his short list that he would work out a discount worth our while if we got enough guys to order. So let me know if you are interested. I am not making any money or in any way connected with the product. I just want to help any one out that has the same problem I have had for the last 3 years not having a speedo or odometer. I will email him today and have him send me the product info to post.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Re: Speedometer Converter

Here is some info I got from him in past emails. I am hoping he sends me a scaned brochure. If he does I will post it.

There is only one moving part projected to last 800,000 hours or about 4 million miles.

Our device screws right to the back of the instrument. The drive unit is only 1" dia x 2" long. A length of cable connects the drive unit to the control box so that it can be adjusted without having your head stuffed up under the instrument cluster. This control box is 1.5" x 2.5" x 1"....Very small.

Easy To Use HUMAN READABLE Adjustments - No Lookup Tables or Dip Switch Settings!

Very Wide Calibration Range with Very Small Incramental Steps for Fine Tuning.
Can be Used to Reset or Modify Transmission Shift Points, Active Steering and Other Mechanical Speed Related Systems.
Compatible With Any Speed Sensor or Speed Signal Without Adjustment!
Rugged Output Drives Virtually Any Mechanical Speedometer!
Indicator LED's Confirm Input, Power & Output Signal Functions Making Your Installation & Trouble-Shooting A Snap!
Designed to Exceed OEM Automotive Specifications for Temperature, Vibration, Electrical Spike & Short Circuit Protection.
Can be Used as an English (MPH) to Metric (KPH) Converter for Your Existing Speedometer.
Designed to be used for On-The-Fly Speedometer Ratio Changes for 2 speed gearbox & differential assemblies (typically used in heavy trucks).
Easy to Readjust for Seasonal or Multiple Sets of Tires.
Built-In Test Oscillator Helps in Installation & Calibration.
No Output When Sitting Still Preventing Your Vehicle From Logging Undue Mileage.
Good For Engine Control, Cruise, Transmission Control, & Mehcanical Speedometers.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Sinisterspeed

Sounds like a good idea.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Woody

I was looking for one of these the other day to convert from a 99 4l60e or 4l80e that I have in a 99 Suburban that along with the 350 vortec is going in my 69 soon. I found the converter box at Bowtie Overdrives for $300...a little pricey for a working speedo but not a lot of choices out there.

So if he can come in under the $300 price range he should be able to sell several of them......I have not bought anything yet and would be interested in the group buy.....
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

That’s one person interested in a group buy. Let me know if there is anyone else interested. I was going to call him again tomorrow to discuss pricing and I was hoping I would have a good size group of people interested so that we have more room to negotiate his price down.

I was thinking of trying to change out my sensor for a gear set up but it would be so much more convenient to have this module so that we would never have to worry about changing tires or gears. With this module you would just have to re-calibrate and that is it, no changing out speedo gears or having the speedo off by 10MPH.

My buddy has a “Cable X” product that does the same thing but he was not impressed with its performance. The needle is jumpy and has some delay. They say it is because the module’s motor is by the trany and has to run through the speedo cable. On this new module it plugs straight into the back of the speedo and the wiring extends down to the trany sensor to eliminate those problems and gives greater accuracy. Also because there is less load on the motor it is suppose to last longer according to my contact. So hopefully we can get a better product for less money than the alternatives on the market.

Last edited by lts70; 06-11-2008 at 05:04 PM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I was looking for one of these the other day to convert from a 99 4l60e or 4l80e that I have in a 99 Suburban that along with the 350 vortec is going in my 69 soon. I found the converter box at Bowtie Overdrives for $300...a little pricey for a working speedo but not a lot of choices out there.

So if he can come in under the $300 price range he should be able to sell several of them......I have not bought anything yet and would be interested in the group buy.....
The price will be better than the other similar products on the market and for what seems like a better product. For sure they will will be less than $300, which is the going rate for the "cable X" product. I just want to wait to get more interested before I talk final price with him so he has more incentive to go down in price.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
chevybill

I am interested is this product as I have an nv3500, but I have an aftermarket electronic speedometer from autometer. So do I need this? my truck is still in pieces so this is why I am asking.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Chevy bill you only need it if you want to run the original speedo.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
57casey

I'm putting a 1990 TBI 350 with 700r trans in my 70 model. So I've got some intrest in the convertor also.
57casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

That is three of us. I thought there would be more interest. I would like to get 5-10 guys before I call him again. Any one else interested?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
uno67

count me in depending on price i got a nv4500
uno67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
Huck

I ran a nv3500 for several years and the speedo issue was the only problem that I had. I would think that street rod guys would love this solution if priced within reason.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I ran a nv3500 for several years and the speedo issue was the only problem that I had. I would think that street rod guys would love this solution if priced within reason.
That is what I thought Huck. Thats only 4 interested. Any one else wanting to run thier original speedo off of a newer transmittion?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
mvfd70

Well I've been following this post from beginning. I'm planning on putting in a nv3500 and have always just planned on making a whole new instrument cluster with all electric guages. After reading this and thinking about it though, I may want to go with an original dash. So yeah...I may be interested in this too if the price is good.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
svgould

I'm interested in the group buy. Just don't get your hopes up if this is the same guy that I have been talking to. He has told me the units will be ready in just a couple weeks......same story for almost 6 months now. His product sounds good, but I no longer believe the "will be ready to ship" soon stories. Just my 2 cents!!
  • 4" rear springs
  • Coys Wheels 18 x 8 all the way around
  • Hydratech hydroboost brake system
svgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
vet

lts70
what is the price on the converter or was it every finished and work properly.
vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgould View Post
I'm interested in the group buy. Just don't get your hopes up if this is the same guy that I have been talking to. He has told me the units will be ready in just a couple weeks......same story for almost 6 months now. His product sounds good, but I no longer believe the "will be ready to ship" soon stories. Just my 2 cents!!
I have had the same experience with this guy. Every time I call or email he tells me he is just wrapping up and it will be a couple weeks. I stopped calling him a couple months ago tired of the game. It did sound like a great product in comparison to any thing that is on the market but if it never comes available it is no good to us. I will send him one last email tonight and let you guys know what he responds with.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
vet

Smile Re: Speedometer Converter

Sounds good
vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #19
uno67

I'm bringing this ttt. I think I found the website your talking about is it TERF inc? If it is you might want to send him another email it looks like on his website he states its done and ready to ship. anyways keep me posted.
uno67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is the link to the TERF Inc. web site.

http://www.terf.com/SpeedChangerMechanicalPage.htm

You might want to read this thread before you order anything:

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx7-tec...group-buy.html

I didn't read it all so I don't know how it played out. It's 14 pages long....

Keep in mind this was 2005 so things might have changed since then...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-12-2008 at 07:37 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #21
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

If you are thinking of using Terf Inc, be prepared for a long, long wait. I ordered mine at the end of July, paid with a credit card, and still have not seen anything from him. I have been more than patient with him and call about once a month. Last story was that he had an investor bail on him because of the economy and that he had another investor lined up and that I should know more in a couple of weeks. Hopefully he ain't BS'ing me, cause he seems to have a good product, and I would like to get the speedo working on my '71, as my 4L60E has no mechanical provisions, and I am not 100% sold on the mechanical speedo adapters that I see avaliable for the 4L60E's!!
I will keep you informed if I ever get my adapter.... I would just hold off for a bit and see if he ever comes through before submitting a large order!!!

Mike
Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Well this Terf Inc. joker doesn't even respond to my emails anymore. schwoch1 did you ever get a product from them or a refund?

I am wanting to get an adapter for my 70 as a Christmas gift for myself. Does any one have any experience with the other products out there like the cable X. I would just buy it but it seems to have to many problems for a $300 doller product. Any one have sucsess with it or any other products?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Well this Terf Inc. joker doesn't even respond to my emails anymore. schwoch1 did you ever get a product from them or a refund?

I am wanting to get an adapter for my 70 as a Christmas gift for myself. Does any one have any experience with the other products out there like the cable X. I would just buy it but it seems to have to many problems for a $300 doller product. Any one have sucsess with it or any other products?
Joker isn't the word for it. I kept calling him every other day and he was promising up to the last day that I called. I had it with him and called my credit card company and got a refund that way. I asked him for a refund and he told me he had no money to refund me. My CC company said that was not my problem and they were refunding my money as I spoke to them.
I ended up adapting an electronic speedometer guts from a '96 S10 pickup to the stock gauges. I can do that because my computer for the LT1 engine has a 4000 pulse per mile output that will run the speedometer perfectly!!!
Terf INC had a good product, but if he cannot produce it, it ain't no good to anyone!~!!
Mike