The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
parkwood

Re: Let See Seats On Your 55-59 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikotrans View Post
Nice - how do you like them? Are they a direct bolt in replacement?

I assume you went with the springs and foam option and had them covered to match your interior theme. Looks like you opted out of the 6-way power option too.

It also looks like your '56 made the cover of Classic Trucks (Feb 2015 edition). Your truck has the look I'm striving for with my '57 - stock with a classy, modern touch. Very nice.
Niko, The truck belongs to a guy in So. Calif. and we put it together for him.. He bought the seat and the foam and yes it was a bolt in.. he didn't get the power with it as i don't think he would have every used it.. I'm not sure if it made the cover of Classic Truck mag or not... i'll have to check it out and it would be nice if it did. Hope yours turn's out as nice as this one did.....glad you liked it..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Nikotrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
Niko, The truck belongs to a guy in So. Calif. and we put it together for him.. He bought the seat and the foam and yes it was a bolt in.. he didn't get the power with it as i don't think he would have every used it.. I'm not sure if it made the cover of Classic Truck mag or not... i'll have to check it out and it would be nice if it did. Hope yours turn's out as nice as this one did.....glad you liked it..
Hmmm - the '56 that is in the magazine is owned by a guy in Canada, so I guess its not the one you worked on. Looks very similar though.

I think I'll go with the Good Guy seat for my '57. I'm thinking of going with the power option since I already went with power windows. I have a three point set of seatbelts from Julianos for a bench seat - they should fit with the Good Guys seat (I hope).

Thanks
Nikotrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
elpound

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
Wise Guys seat frame covered in leather.....
That looks really nice! I mean awesome.
elpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpound View Post
That looks really nice! I mean awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Another thread from the dead worthy of being kept alive.
This rhyme reminds me of the one I use with my brother-in-law, "We're brothers from other mothers of other colors"!

Anyway, my seat is being done now. My interior will look very similar to these pics except the body color showing through the door panels will be my dark red and I'm planning to use stock armrests with this color and the bottoms painted body color also. I'll post photos when it happens.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
tmoble

"some" like your truck???? what's not to like? I think you've built a killer deal. I'm planning to do that exact same thing with the 3-point seat belts. Did you dye those to match?

Have any info on the rear suspension and install? Pics? Vendor? How is the air ride?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

seat belts came from here ...

http://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

They were great to deal with. Lots of colours to choose from.

rear suspension is A.R.T was for a 88-98 full size that I bought off ebay.
Works really well.
Name:  truck rear end 004.jpg
Views: 6251
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  truck 009.jpg
Views: 6525
Size:  57.2 KB

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
marks 59

Not to keep pestering but will the seat fit with the tank still in the original spot behind the seat. I've got to say NICE JOB to what you have done as the upholstery really compliments your truck. Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Mark
marks 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

I would think it will still work with the tank. The seats that were in it before cleared the tank before I moved it to the frame.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
marks 59

Finally got it done and wanted to say thanks for the ideas. I finally just took a seat from an early 70's and cut out a chunk and welded it back together and even managed to get the brackets and holes to match up. Thanks again
Attached Images

marks 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
texascowboy593

Excellent two-tone truck! The seat looks good!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
OrrieG

looks like it came from the factory..
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Denee007

These are my seats out of a Tahoe, 2nd row temporarily installed in my '59 apache. I'm not sure about the front seat height yet, I may have to do some modifications, the drivers part is a little off center to the steering wheel, but tolerable and not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for. I'm pleased with the comfort level and the part you sit on lifts up for access to the underneath the seat for Stuff and access to the master cylinder. I also got the seat belts from the doner~ I hope to make it all work. ; )

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Speedbumpauto

Used the seats from a 99 Silverado with power driver seat. After you cut the rivits and remove the orig. mounting flanges that also raised the seat height in the Silverado, it was easy to fabricate a bracket out of strap and bolt/weld it to the seat. I was able to use the stock front mounting holes on the hump but chose to weld in some rears in the floor pan to get the correct angle. Removing the headrests make the seat backs flush with the rear window opening.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
Used the seats from a 99 Silverado with power driver seat. After you cut the rivits and remove the orig. mounting flanges that also raised the seat height in the Silverado, it was easy to fabricate a bracket out of strap and bolt/weld it to the seat. I was able to use the stock front mounting holes on the hump but chose to weld in some rears in the floor pan to get the correct angle. Removing the headrests make the seat backs flush with the rear window opening.
any updates on your seats? I'm interested in how they turned out and how much space you have between the seats for a center consol
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
oldcouple

My buckets came out of a Olds, or Chevy Venture, flat on the bottom, driver is electric, and need four bolt holes each. Way better than the Pontiac car seat on wood 4x4s that was in it when I got it.
Attached Images

oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
hopped up

Entourageguy nailed it!! Very nice interior!! Seat and headliner finish off a very nice truck. I'm a bench seat kinda guy and don't think buckets or late model seats look right in old trucks. But his bench is done in some nice two tone tuck&roll . Nice
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
_Ogre

these are out of an 07 ford fusion, did not like them sticking up in the back window.
i cut the backs down 6'' and removed the headrest, a friend recovered them in ultra suede

nice truck/interior Entourageguy

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
NEWFISHER

I have read ( on a few forums) questions asked about " what to use when rebuilding a seat" This is just to document what I did to the frame/spings and build up with a cover pre cut and sewn ready to install.

I stripped mine down to the frame/springs, repaired any springs or bars that were damaged. I pulled/stretched all of the springs that had seen abuse over 60 years making sure that all of them looked even and square within thier individual area. I painted both halves of the seat-frame-springs then covered the bottom and back assemblies with burlap that I hog ringed to the spring retainer bars so it wouldnt slide around. I layed cotton batting over the burlap on the back portion and fit the cover. Anything thicker than the cotton will push you forward ( great for shorter people) I Stretched the cover around and hog ringed it down-forget about those factory clips, they tear the vinyl and are a p.i.a. rings work great. After the burlap secured to the lower section, I cut out a 2 inch slab of medium density foam and lightly glued it to the burlap with spray adhesive. Tossed the cover on, pulled the edges, hog ringed it on. I started in the middle of the seat and worked my way to the outsides both front and back of each seat halve together, pulled and ringed the sides last. Installed the base, slid it forward and installed the back. Slid it back and went for a ride....no bouncing, looks great ( some areas will relax a bit in the sun etc).

NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
meter swinger

Looks awesome. Nice work
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
...This is just to document what I did to...a cover pre cut and sewn ready to install.

That looks SO good espcially consdering its on a stock seat. Who is the supplier of that presewn kit?

If it's as simple as you wrote I'll definitely being trying it if the price is reasonable. One quick question: the "cotton batting" you speak of; where'd you get it and how thick is it?

P.S. Is that a piece of matching vinyl, or paint on the door panel?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
mknittle

[QUOTE=NEWFISHER;5700824]I have read ( on a few forums) questions asked about " what to use when rebuilding a seat" This is just to document what I did to the frame/spings and build up with a cover pre cut and sewn ready to install.

I stripped mine down to the frame/springs, repaired any springs or bars that were damaged. I pulled/stretched all of the springs that had seen abuse over 60 years making sure that all of them looked even and square within thier individual area. I painted both halves of the seat-frame-springs then covered the bottom and back assemblies with burlap that I hog ringed to the spring retainer bars so it wouldnt slide around. I layed cotton batting over the burlap on the back portion and fit the cover. Anything thicker than the cotton will push you forward ( great for shorter people) I Stretched the cover around and hog ringed it down-forget about those factory clips, they tear the vinyl and are a p.i.a. rings work great. After the burlap secured to the lower section, I cut out a 2 inch slab of medium density foam and lightly glued it to the burlap with spray adhesive. Tossed the cover on, pulled the edges, hog ringed it on. I started in the middle of the seat and worked my way to the outsides both front and back of each seat halve together, pulled and ringed the sides last. Installed the base, slid it forward and installed the back. Slid it back and went for a ride....no bouncing, looks great ( some areas will relax a bit in the sun etc).
]

may I add that you can make a plywood frame about 2 inches wide all the way around that screws into the bottom of the seat frame. this elimanates the hog rings witch are hard to get an even pull with.
With the wood strip you can staple the cover and get a nice even pull.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
NEWFISHER

[/QUOTE]
may I add that you can make a plywood frame about 2 inches wide all the way around that screws into the bottom of the seat frame. this elimanates the hog rings witch are hard to get an even pull with.
With the wood strip you can staple the cover and get a nice even pull.[/QUOTE]

If your stapler is powerfull enough, it will shoot them directly into the lower seat pan also
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I have read ( on a few forums) questions asked about " what to use when rebuilding a seat" This is just to document what I did to the frame/spings and build up with a cover pre cut and sewn ready to install.

I bet by the end of next summer the cover will even out really nice. not that it dosent look really nice now it does.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
ruby57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
I'm tired of sit'n on my weak spring pickup seat. Looking for newer seat choices. I guess I could rebuild it as the seat is in really good shape but can't find seat springs. The gentleman that had my 56 before I did was a little bigger than me so she's a little weak and a back killer after a 600 mile trip.
Lets see some of your seats with what they came out of.
Thanks,
Raymo
I don't know, Raymo, I've not taken mine on a 600 mile trip so can't say Ruby's bench seat is much better. -Doug

ruby57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
OrrieG

Here's mine 07 Yukon third row with shoulder belts built into the seat.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote