The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
Ironhorse

Re: Has this happen to you at carshows???

Gotta' go with cayoterun on this one. Last show I entered my '71 4x4 in I placed in "Top Thirty" from the public vote in a show of 230 plus vehicles. My truck I definetly do not consider "show quality" as I know where all the "gremlins" are hiding but still and all it turns a head or two driving down the street. Never have shown it at any "big" shows as I just don't care to compete with cars that have 25 or 30 $$$ in them. Can't afford to do that, just like a nice, clean DD I can still use as a truck that people can appreciate from the cookie cutter trucks and cars of today. Just my .02 cents.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #27
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

there alot of politics and favoritism behind the scene,grease palm action goes long ways too

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #28
Sillyoldman

Having a good time and making some friends along the way is what makes me happy. I won Peoples Choice one year. That was all dandy but I got to hang with some good peeps. They weren't concerned about throphies either.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #29
vectorit
What?

Meh... try showing a K20 burb when the show is 99.9% half ton 2 wheel drive PU's...

I'm use to being the red headed step child.

Show's are cool to just hang with people that share your interest.

Last edited by vectorit; 09-22-2010 at 11:26 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
boatpuller

i'm getting burnt out on the show scene.i have a real hard time sitting/standing around b.s ing all day.i find myself thinking about all the stuff i should be home doing.around here the truck classes are very broad at most shows.while car classes narrow it down to a very small year gap and even body styles.plus ,after youv'e been in it a few years you have seen them all before anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #31
Billetmaster

I cant remember the last show I went to where I didnt leave before the awards...just not important to me.
Billetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
i'm getting burnt out on the show scene.i have a real hard time sitting/standing around b.s ing all day.i find myself thinking about all the stuff i should be home doing.around here the truck classes are very broad at most shows.while car classes narrow it down to a very small year gap and even body styles.plus ,after youv'e been in it a few years you have seen them all before anyway.
I'm new to the truck seen and I haven't even been to a truck show yet so I can't relate any experiences there. having been to a lot of chevelle shows I can certainly attest to the "seen them all anyway".

Been to chevell-a-bration in nashville about half a dozen times. It is the biggest chevelle show there is, but I could probably count on both hands the number of unique, custom cars there. My dad's 67 was one of them. The other 380+ chevelles were stock, stock looking, restored or somewhere in between. Throw in that 350+ of them where red or blue with a few black and you can pretty much say you've seen them all.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #33
big_al_71

Quote:
burnt out on the show scene.i have a real hard time sitting/standing around b.s ing all day.i find myself thinking about all the stuff i should be home doing..
Exactlky how I feel......plus around here is the same buckets all the time and of course I can always go to

www.cruisingsouthflorida.com and see the picts of the show I did not go to....very simple.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #34
3r!c84
Badass

i think ive seen your truck around big al

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #35
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostifer View Post
I think if your vehicle is old enough to qualify for classic or antique tags, then it would qualify for a classic car show.
I think the whole 20-25 year rule for classifying a vehicle as an antique or collector is just lame. I am sorry all you 1984 Dodge Omni owners, your car will never be an antique or collectors item. I saw a mid 80's Camaro Berlinetta (sp?) running around town recently, rusted out, running collector plates...c'mon.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #36
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

Quote:
this is it in a nut shell, after you go to the shows for a while you get tired of it , spending all your saturdays at the show when you could be home getting something done. A couple of years ago me and my dad were doing a lot of shows and we enjoyed it ,I especially liked that it gave us a reason to spend more time together. after a while you realize there is a system to these shows, around here they do a lot of participant judging and its just a vote for your buddies system ,or if it is broke into classes they are too broad and you question the ability of the guys they have judging. I really didn't care about winning a trophy , but some of the decisions didn't make since , this really bothered my dad more than me. this year I went to a couple just to look and I enjoyed it , I could go spend a couple hours and go home . I also enjoy the cruise ins they are less formal.
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #37
GOPAPA

Quote:
Couldn't of said it any better Ben,, I would rather take our wives on a cruise to the beach with our trucks on one of them nice days that we have sit in the hot sun beside our trucks at them shows.. are ya in for that next summer? Stop off for a drinky maybe? And eats..
I feel the same way about the car clubs,,not for me ,,but glad it's for them..
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #38
Tink

Had that happen to me... just can't compete is certain categories with a newer vehicle.

We don't bother with shows anymore - just hit up all the cruise-ins instead. Usually in the evenings and take much less time.

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #39
LEEVON

I'm not into this for trophies, heck I have no where to put them and they're usually tacky and sometimes given to every single participant. I like things on wheels that go fast and look good, could give two craps about what a judge thinks. The biggest kick I get at shows is when somebody says your truck/car is their favorite of the show.

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #40
pockets

I went to a small show a few months ago, just a show-n-shine kind of thing. there were a few trucks there. 1 was a really tricked out 87. bagged, custom interior, beautiful flame job, the works.

then saw another 86 or 87 that was clean, simple, nice blue paint job, something you would see on the street everyday. I looked at it for a few minutes and noticed the owner sitting behind it. I asked a couple questions and said it looked like a really nice ride. I think he was ecstatic that someone even stopped to look. I hope it made his day
Old 09-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #41
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I go to a few shows but don't compete(not that my truck would worry anyone anyway).I go to see what's being done.what the next "Big Wheel"combo is(I had my last "Big Wheel" when I was 5-6).My favorite type show is a meet and greet or "Gathering of the Goofs".There's real car guys there,they love to talk truck,they usually drive to it and sometimes they fix something on someones truck while they're there.

A buddy once asked me on the way home from our first time hunting together"Are you disappointed we didn't bag any game?"
My reply"Not really,if you can't go just for the joy of being there,then you're going for the wrong reason."I pretty much feel the same way about doing truck stuff.I would rather cruise with a group of friends than go to a show.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 09-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #42
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
A buddy once asked me on the way home from our first time hunting together"Are you disappointed we didn't bag any game?"
My reply"Not really,if you can't go just for the joy of being there,then you're going for the wrong reason."I pretty much feel the same way about doing truck stuff.I would rather cruise with a group of friends than go to a show.
Perfect POV comparison.
I have often told people the same analogy.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #43
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Couldn't of said it any better Ben,, I would rather take our wives on a cruise to the beach with our trucks on one of them nice days that we have sit in the hot sun beside our trucks at them shows.. are ya in for that next summer? Stop off for a drinky maybe? And eats..
I feel the same way about the car clubs,,not for me ,,but glad it's for them..
sounds like a plan,larry my man.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #44
1/2Dozen

I take my bike/car/truck to shows to look at other people sitting in a lawn chair complaining how humid it is.

I think its more flattering when people ask me why I never enter the toys I show up with.
1/2Dozen is offline   Reply With Quote