The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #26
NORMSCOLORADO

Re: It's official...I've lost my mind---Look what followed me home

really nice truck man! wish my 9' stepper bed sides were that nice! lol idk bout these years but i know a gm 14 bolt out of a mid 80s c 20 fits in my 67 c 30 9' stepper...... also mine has 4:10s now and its alot better but its still low geared......

Last edited by NORMSCOLORADO; 08-31-2010 at 11:35 PM.
NORMSCOLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #27
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

As it sits, you'll do 49 mph with your teeth shaking out of your head, down hill, with a tail wind. My first AD was a 3800 with an aftermarket dump bed on it. Great truck, in the Michigan Upper Penninsula now.

I'd look at a 4.10 all day long. Easy to find and swap in for the open rears of the 3/4 and 1 tons.

For the 55 S1 mentioned earlier, look for a 60's truck rear, maybe even up into the 70s with 4x4 to keep the 6 lugs. Lots of money to spend on gears when $100 will buy you an entire axle. I've heard of guys looking into the Japanese truck rears with 6 lugs lately but never seen one used.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #28
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
As it sits, you'll do 49 mph with your teeth shaking out of your head, down hill, with a tail wind. My first AD was a 3800 with an aftermarket dump bed on it. Great truck, in the Michigan Upper Penninsula now.

I'd look at a 4.10 all day long. Easy to find and swap in for the open rears of the 3/4 and 1 tons.

For the 55 S1 mentioned earlier, look for a 60's truck rear, maybe even up into the 70s with 4x4 to keep the 6 lugs. Lots of money to spend on gears when $100 will buy you an entire axle. I've heard of guys looking into the Japanese truck rears with 6 lugs lately but never seen one used.
Change the 49 to 65mph and that sounds a lot like the old LeCar my stepdad used to have. In high school I drove across town
with 8 friends in it. 2 in passengers seat, three on the back seat and one in each of those laps. Took a block and a half to get out of

1st. Somehow I never got stopped.

The only real reason I would keep the 8 lug is to drive it without having to change the front. Buy some cheep non split rims and tires. Just a chance behind the wheel before any changes to the suspension. Would have no prob. with changing to 5 or 6 lug. Course, the driving part depends on if the engine will even rotate. Sprayed PB Blaster in the cylinders, haven't even tried to turn it yet. Then again, there is no crank bolt, so how the ---- do I turn it by hand? If that 6 don't work, then its out with it and start on the front end.

If going down that road, prob. put in a '73-'87 IFS and rear converted to trailing arms. Using backspacing to offset the wider track.

But until the floor is fixed, all of this is sorta moot.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #29
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMSCOLORADO View Post
really nice truck man! wish my 9' stepper bed sides were that nice! lol idk bout these years but i know a gm 14 bolt out of a mid 80s c 20 fits in my 67 c 30 9' stepper...... also mine has 4:10s now and its alot better but its still low geared......
thanks!!

It is funny, but the floor and other cab points below are the only really bad parts. The running boards and battery tray are just solid. Battery cover looks salvageable too.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #30
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70C10Toejam View Post
Sprayed PB Blaster in the cylinders, haven't even tried to turn it yet. Then again, there is no crank bolt, so how the ---- do I turn it by hand? If that 6 don't work, then its out with it and start on the front end.
Take off the bellhousing bottom cover and see if you can turn the flywheel. This will tell you if the engine is seized.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
enick72

There is no bolt inthe balencer but there should be a square hole to put in a breaker bar, if you can get to it. I was lucky enough to pull tension on the belt with my right hand while pushing down on the fan with my left and got mine to turn over a little.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #32
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enick72 View Post
There is no bolt inthe balencer but there should be a square hole to put in a breaker bar, if you can get to it. I was lucky enough to pull tension on the belt with my right hand while pushing down on the fan with my left and got mine to turn over a little.
I'll try the breaker bar first

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Take off the bellhousing bottom cover and see if you can turn the flywheel. This will tell you if the engine is seized.

Ray
Probably the last resort. Means backstroking through the pile of rust.