The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #26
Dad's72

Re: Did I ruin my new motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Wolf Auto Machine
Precision Engine
HD Machine

Those are at least a few. David Wolf is who I usually use anymore but have used all of the above. Just call and explain just need rear bearing replaced and see what they require. Complete disassembly seems excessive.
Thanks Mike. I will call each of them. I just got off the phone with South Austin Machine Shop and explained the situation in detail and they said they would do it for $100. That would include all new cam bearings and install without taking out the crank or pistons. Could be done in one day.
I'm going to call all those other shops to shop that price.
Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #27
Dad's72

Okay. I had me some free time and broke down the motor. I'm going to take it to a local machine shop and they ate going to install new cam bearings. My question to y'all is are these brass brushes too harsh to remove the gasket material on the motor?
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #28
davepl

I personally wouldn't use a wire wheel inside your engine because you're not blowing it apart and cleaning it afterwards. Wire wheels tend to throw wires, and wires aren't good for bearings and oil passages, etc.

I prefer the fabric style "roloc" wheels, but even then I'm always careful, especially on the deck surface.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

No, don't use those. A good gasket scrapper will do just fine.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
Dad's72

I had planned on taping and stuffing wrags in the space. But I will pass on that then and just go buy me a good gasket scraper tomorrow to finish it up. Thanks for the advice guys. $125 mistake. Could have been worse I guess.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #31
Mike C

Glad that was all. My mistakes seem to cost WAY more than that these days.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #32
Ironangel

Get you a scraper that takes single edge razor blades and a box of blades. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52000-R...razor+scrapers
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #33
Dad's72

I have one of those but somebody told me not to use a razor blade on the block surface.

Also, when I took the intake of there was a pretty good build up if carbon on the exhaust ports holes in the gasket. Is this normal? I'll take a picture when I get home.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #34
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I use a regular ol' $1.99 paint scraper that I cut down so it's only about 2" long from the handle. Then I used a bastard file to put an "edge" on it. Nice and stiff and scrapes gaskets off great. When it gets a tad dull... a few swipes with the file and she's as good as new.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #35
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I use a regular ol' $1.99 paint scraper that I cut down so it's only about 2" long from the handle. Then I used a bastard file to put an "edge" on it. Nice and stiff and scrapes gaskets off great. When it gets a tad dull... a few swipes with the file and she's as good as new.

Gary
Good idea. I have a couple of those laying around. How about a putty knife (like the ones when applying drywall mud) cut down and filed like this? Do you think those would work? I have several of those laying around.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #36
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I wouldn't see why not. I always found that paint scrapers and putty knives were always too flexy. So by shortening it you make it stiffer and you can get a little leverage behind it. They are also soft enough to not gouge scratches into machined surfaces... unless you use the corner of the edge. So still be careful.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #37
Dad's72

Well I brought my engine home today from the machine shop. It only stayed over night. I talked to one of the techs and it turned out we have a mutual friend. This worked out because I got it done for $62.50. Way better than the $125 they were going to charge me.
Started the cleaning process again to paint before install. Sanded the oil pan to metal, sprayed prep spary, then two coats of primer. Tomorrow it will get two coats of chevy orange.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 AM   #38
Mike_The_Grad

Just a FYI tip in case freeze plug replacement comes round again, a good method for getting them out is to take a cordless drill with a 1/4" or 5/16" drill bit and drill two holes about 3/8" or 1/2" apart, then you can slip a length of bailing wire or string and twist/tie it off in case you knock the plug into the block, take a drift punch and start in one of the holes at an angle to open up the plug and grab it with a pair of either needle nose or channel-locks. Clean up the bore real good with some red scotch-brite pad wipe it out with acetone rag. Personal preference here, but you can smear some rtv around the edge of the plug before you drive it in, then take a deep impact wrench socket slightly smaller than the inside diameter hit it square with a big ball peen or mini sledge. If you look at the bore the plug goes into, there is a small bevel on the outer edge.drive in the plug until the plug is at the inner edge of this bevel. This last part is something that I hadn't really paid attention to on one of them so I kept hitting it and I drove it about 1/32 deeper, I figured oh well can't hurt much....well let me tell you that there is nothing more disheartening than to fill up your freshly rebuilt, fully installed, hooked up engine with coolant and find a 4" puddle of coolant on the ground right where the block and transmission bolt up, before you've even finished filling the damn thing up! Of course it was the one plug I knocked in just a lil to far, of course it was one of the ones in the rear of the block that requires you to have the block out of the truck in order to replace it. But did I do all that to replace it? Hell no! Lol. I picked up a tube of "Alumaseal" and crossed my fingers. That was 15k miles ago and I haven't seen a single drop of coolant under my truck. Oil,transmission fluid,rearend gear oil are a different story though.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is online now   Reply With Quote