The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
Jim_PA

Re: holly carberator OPEN ME UP AND READ ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72customdeluxe View Post
Do you mean the oil smells like gas after you shut it off? That's pretty normal with a carb, especially with a q-jet. They leak fuel down into the cylinders after shut off. If there's ALOT of fuel in the oil that means it's likely too rich. Nothing to do with the type of carb
If your carb is draining gas into the intake after you shut it off, you have a carburetor problem, and need to get it fixed. They shouldn't leak at all.

With cruise mixture, I like to lean it out until it surges at highway speeds, and then make it a reasonable amount richer than that.

For accelerating, it's pretty safe to say that if it feels sluggish, it's probably rich. If you get a complete "falls on it's face" dead-spot, and then it picks up, it's probably lean.

For idle mixture, start at a set amount of turns out on each screw (2 turns?) then, open one screw a 1/4 turn, then the other 1/4 turn... Did the idle increase? If it increased, go another 1/4 turn on each screw... is it still increasing? You will have to keep turning the idle speed down if the idle keeps increasing with the turns on your mixture screws. When you get to the point that opening the screws any further doesn't increase idle speed, it's pretty close; at this point you could probably turn each screw in a small amount just to lean out the idle a tad.

If you have a vacuum gauge, you can use the above procedure, but set the idle screws to maintain a maximum vacuum reading (you'll still want to keep dialing back the idle speed when changing the mixture screws).

In my hunt for a near perfect tune, I picked up a wideband O2 controller. I went wit a JAW DIY system. I have less than $150 in it, and so far, it seems to be worth every penny. It takes all the guessing out of the equation.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #27
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Yeah.....that sweet sound called a lean condition!

Believe me....there is a place for Q-jets. This is what 55 look like in the back of my Toyota Sequoia. Bought all 55 for $150! That's $2.90 a carb. When I was done selling them on eBay I had netted just over $4,000 in profit!
DROOL!!!

If you find any from 77+ (non computer controlled) I'd take a few! Look me up!

Last edited by Jim_PA; 07-09-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #28
'72customdeluxe

If you're talking about me, my quadrajet is stock and needs the casting plug expoxied. Alot of them leak down, one reason they're called the quadraflood. My dad has had a couple quads including a '71 c10 that did the same. His mechanic friend back in the day expoxied it and it was fixed.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
redbaron69

with jim pa, i have always used a vacumn guage to set a carb. pull the pvc line and turn the air/fuel screws to get max vacumn. this will change your idle a bit and adjust accordingly nothing wrong with a qjet they worked for years. IMHO
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #30
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Never heard of the quadraflood. I do know that they are probably one of the most over-tightened carbs out there and easy to warp.

Jim...I also know that 14.2 in a truck is quick! Are we talking short or longbed? 'course you got some good heads and that's darn near 1/2 the power equation. Quick in and quick out. If you get in the 13's you are moving. Best case is you are around 3,800 to 4,000 lbs with driver.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #31
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Never heard of the quadraflood. I do know that they are probably one of the most over-tightened carbs out there and easy to warp.

Jim...I also know that 14.2 in a truck is quick! Are we talking short or longbed? 'course you got some good heads and that's darn near 1/2 the power equation. Quick in and quick out. If you get in the 13's you are moving. Best case is you are around 3,800 to 4,000 lbs with driver.
Long bed! -- and some of the worst of the rust is gone now.