The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #26
kikkegek

Re: Let me introduce myself...

*offtopic*
is dat nou het bezuidenhout?
ik woon in Leidschenveen. Misschien hebbie onze Zwart-witte Suburban wel eens gezien?
*ontopic*

nice builds. really sweet Camaro...damn!

if you ever need help, just shout!

I also just now swapped the TH400-NP208 for a TH700R4-NP208...

went from 9 mpg to about 12 mpg on the highway...and love the low gearings in first and second.
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
BaggedRanger

Truck looks really good closer to the ground.. I think your about as low as I am in the front . I know I have Bell Tech spindles in the front and dropped coils as well... One thing I love about these trucks is even low you can still turn pretty much lock to lock..
BaggedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #28
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
*offtopic*
is dat nou het bezuidenhout?
ik woon in Leidschenveen. Misschien hebbie onze Zwart-witte Suburban wel eens gezien?
*ontopic*

nice builds. really sweet Camaro...damn!

if you ever need help, just shout!

I also just now swapped the TH400-NP208 for a TH700R4-NP208...

went from 9 mpg to about 12 mpg on the highway...and love the low gearings in first and second.
Gozer! Ik heb een loods in Monster. Wel lagge om een keer die beesten bij elkaar te halen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedRanger View Post
Truck looks really good closer to the ground.. I think your about as low as I am in the front . I know I have Bell Tech spindles in the front and dropped coils as well... One thing I love about these trucks is even low you can still turn pretty much lock to lock..
Yup, up front is pretty sweet, just got to get it right in the back.

Any idea how much 2 leaf springs will drop the rear roughly? Taking out the longest and shortest. Should give a smoother ride too.

Pics of your truck and what you did in the rear?

cheers
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #29
BaggedRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81 View Post
Yup, up front is pretty sweet, just got to get it right in the back.

Any idea how much 2 leaf springs will drop the rear roughly? Taking out the longest and shortest. Should give a smoother ride too.

Pics of your truck and what you did in the rear?

cheers
I pretty much bought the truck as it sits.. Other than throwing a little color on it I haven't done to much to it. I know the rear is flipped with the axle on top of the springs and a small c-notch in the frame.

Here is how the truck currently sits..

This was taken at the last show that I took it to..

and this was on the way home from the show. I stopped and took a pic..
Old 07-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
DQ81

Removed the thick overload leaf, and the two in the middle.

Am now left with 2 leaf springs rear.

It's better, and good enough for now. Rides pretty smooth compared to stock as well:

Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
DQ81

Rides pretty good compared to stock, not so!

For those of you contemplating pulling springs. I pulled the overload leaf and the middle two (pack of 4+ 1 overload)

Sits on the bumpstops!

Removed the bumpstops, sits on the bumpstop 'holders'!

So total drop now is:

FRONT: 3" spindles and 1 full coil of the stock springs

REAR: Removed 2 leaf springs and the overload, that's it!

Will remove them tomorrow, so looks like at least one leaf needs to go back in, if not all and it will be an axle flip with a C notch after all. Pretty happy with this stance.

Running 255/60/15's in the rear

and 225/60/15's in the front

Want to run 275/60/15's in the rear
and 255/60/15's in the front will compensate a little height and fill up the wheel well. But stance as she stands is good IMO.

Thoughts? Don't mind the rust

Here you can see how the bumpstop 'holder' sits on on the axle, I think if I remove those it will sit even lower, although the drivers side doesn't touch. Wil I have enough clearance between the frame and axle if I just remove these and improvise a short rubber stop?

Passenger side touches:

Drivers side about a half inch of ''clearance':

I have the stock shocks now, they're pretty much fully compressed. Any advice on which shocks to run in the rear? I have a pair of HiJackers from a G20 van, there about 6" shorter than a stock Blazer shock and the fact that they're adjustable could come in handy. Thoughts?

cheers, David

Last edited by DQ81; 07-31-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
BaggedRanger

Notch the frame for some additional travel.. Take a piece of 4" pipe cut it in half and then weld it above the axle within the frame. This will get you a few needed inches..

Other than that the stance looks really good.. Love how these look lowered.. Just see way to many of them lifted.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81 View Post
Rides pretty good compared to stock, not so!

For those of you contemplating pulling springs. I pulled the overload leaf and the middle two (pack of 4+ 1 overload)

Sits on the bumpstops!

Removed the bumpstops, sits on the bumpstop 'holders'!

So total drop now is:

FRONT: 3" spindles and 1 full coil of the stock springs

REAR: Removed 2 leaf springs and the overload, that's it!

Will remove them tomorrow, so looks like at least one leaf needs to go back in, if not all and it will be an axle flip with a C notch after all. Pretty happy with this stance.

Running 255/60/15's in the rear

and 225/60/15's in the front

Want to run 275/60/15's in the rear
and 255/60/15's in the front will compensate a little height and fill up the wheel well. But stance as she stands is good IMO.

Thoughts? Don't mind the rust

Here you can see how the bumpstop 'holder' sits on on the axle, I think if I remove those it will sit even lower, although the drivers side doesn't touch. Wil I have enough clearance between the frame and axle if I just remove these and improvise a short rubber stop?

Passenger side touches:

Drivers side about a half inch of ''clearance':

I have the stock shocks now, they're pretty much fully compressed. Any advice on which shocks to run in the rear? I have a pair of HiJackers from a G20 van, there about 6" shorter than a stock Blazer shock and the fact that they're adjustable could come in handy. Thoughts?

cheers, David
i'd say get some shock extenders (that bolt on the axle's shock tabs and drop the lower shock mount down). this will let your existing shock work and it will lean the shock back vertical to let it do its job. look at your shock angle now....when its leaning at a 45 degree angle it isnt doing anything. best senario is to mount the airshocks you have that are shorter and also buy and install the shock extenders...you will end up with a stock ride in the end. the extenders are like 30 bucks. in the front, the stock shocks are close to the shortest shocks found already. those should work great since you only dropped 2.5 with the cut coil. the spindles dont change shock position. i got a 5 inch drop with 2 cut coils and i need to locate my upper shock mounts up. my rear went down 4 by pulling all but 2 leafs and also the stock 1/2 lift blocks. my rear rode decent until i found out i was riding on the bumpstops and pulled them out. now i need to change my airshock angle. i think the shortest airshock out there is a vw airshock. i had some on my 93 yukon...seems like they were 11 inches compressed
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #34
made2drag

do me a favor....if you could measure the van airshock from eyelet to eyelet and let me know how many inches.....i would like to know since im in the process of finding some short ones myself and want to see how they compare with the vw length
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote