The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #26
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Re: 67 c-10 chopped 3 inches ?? GLASS ???

Well I can shed some light on this subject , back when I fooled with the 73 to 87 trucks I wanted a chopped one so being the jack of all trades that I have always been I chopped one myself and when I got to the windshield I cut it myself the way I did mine was I marked the windshiel where it needed to be and cut small pieces at a time till I got it all cut off I cut it on both sides with a glass cutter from a hardware store and used barbecue lighters to heat the plastic inner layer so I could pull each piece of glass out enough to cut the plastic with a razor blade , I actually did this twice because a year after I cut the first one my son bumped his head on the mirror and broke the first one I did ,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 AM   #27
Trucolur

Well I've got a date to go to O H Hendricks in. 2 weeks to check in to getting them water jetted (cut) !! So it should be a good deal my 3 flat ones are 45 each and the covered windshield is 125 but I have to bring a extra one with me !! So it looks like it's under 500 so I'm happy !!! I've got a old one that has the whipper marks in it !! I'm going to try cutting it like they instructed start to finish on u tube just to try !!! Thank you all for you messages !!!
Trucolur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #28
Trucolur

Well I've got a date to go to O H Hendricks in. 2 weeks to check in to getting them water jetted (cut) !! So it should be a good deal my 3 flat ones are 45 each and the covered windshield is 125 but I have to bring a extra one with me !! So it looks like it's under 500 so I'm happy !!! I've got a old one that has the whipper marks in it !! I'm going to try cutting it like they instructed start to finish on u tube just to try !!! Thank you all for you messages !!!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
70Firetruck

Did you tell them the glass was tempered? I could be wrong but, I believe tempered glass will shatter.

If it works out for you. let me know.
70Firetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #30
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Actually many good vehicle chops go with the glass cut first and then shape the metal to the glass. I have a 68 Chevy C-10 in my garage that had the chop done after the glass was cut, but of course the guys doing the chop, damaged the windshield, so I had to get another one cut to fit. I went to a shop in Kansas City, where they used to cut glass for hot rods all of the time and the guy there cut my glass and got it right the first time. That place is now closed, the owner had a heart attack and had to retire. I will tell you that cutting glass is an art and the process works the best if the guy doing the work actually grinds the glass down to size, rather than using a glass cutter and chancing a flaw in the process. I will also tell you that the fact that you assume the responsiubility for any broken windshields is a truth, but if you wnat to complete your project, you have to be smart enough to do it right in the early stages.

A local body shop in my area did a windshield for a mid 80s truck and they went through four of them until they got smart and finally glued the glass to the cab, like the later model trucks are, instead of using the rubber gasket. Many do not like a chopped cab on a truck, I kind of like mine, but it is still in the shop being built.

Bed willing to haul the truck a few miles to someone that has a good reputation and then leave it with them to do the job right.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #31
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I like the look of a stock windshield layed back over a flat chop. In addition to no curved glass cutting.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #32
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

3" chop, don't mind the pink paint, it is only a sealer.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #33
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Firetruck View Post
Did you tell them the glass was tempered? I could be wrong but, I believe tempered glass will shatter.

If it works out for you. let me know.
Tempered will shatter, regardless of how you cut it.

You have two choices: You can have flat laminate cut to size, or have a glass shop make patterns and send the glass to be tempered.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #34
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

That is why you don't cut it, you grind it down using an angle grinder and a water cooled pad.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #35
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Tempered glass is cut all the time.Most construction equipment uses tempered glass and I've seen them cut it to fit.They marked it carefully and cut it on both sides,tapped it with the ball on the end of the cutter,both sides,then squirted a small amount of lighter fluid into the crack and lit it.The plastic melted and the glass was cut.Then he ran it on a wheel to smooth it.This was flat glass for a construction cab but it was tempered.The guy told me that most of those cabs were a bit out of square and cutting to fit was about the only way to do one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #36
Rod Run

A friend of mine that has a glass shop has cut down a few windshields for some radical customs. He uses heat when cutting.

Here is one windshield he did for another friend of mine, over 20 years ago
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #37
lynchiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Tempered glass is cut all the time.Most construction equipment uses tempered glass and I've seen them cut it to fit.They marked it carefully and cut it on both sides,tapped it with the ball on the end of the cutter,both sides,then squirted a small amount of lighter fluid into the crack and lit it.The plastic melted and the glass was cut.Then he ran it on a wheel to smooth it.This was flat glass for a construction cab but it was tempered.The guy told me that most of those cabs were a bit out of square and cutting to fit was about the only way to do one.

Tempered glass can not be cut. Like someone said, it will shatter in a milllion pieces just like a patio door. What you saw people cut is laminated glass. It has a thin layer of plastic in the middle...
lynchiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #38
Trucolur

So you are say I can cut the windshield just not the doors or back glass cause they will shatter in a million pieces ??? If that's so then the back glass is going to by hell !!! Cause the doors are one glass conversion kits and hopefully they they just don't have to be rolled up all the way !!??
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #39
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: 67 c-10 chopped 3 inches ?? GLASS ???

LOL ,,,,, guys on 67 to 72 chop jobs you only have to cut the windshield and make two lexan vent windows the door glasses dont have to be cut the just dont roll all the way up ,,,
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #40
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Make a lexan rear glass ,
Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #41
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Ok just read your last post that you want to use the one piece kit nope wont work , you can use stock door glasses not rolled all the way up with two lexan vent windows , the one piece glass not rolled up will leave a big gap in the front ,
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #42
Rod Run

The windows on our doors are flat right?

You can have custom flat door glass and rear glass cut very easily, any size or shape you want it.

How else do you think all the old hot rods and customs get it done?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #43
Trucolur

Well when the money comes back from Christmas and kids born in January I will get back on the the side and back glass !! And figure them out !! But the guy I had chop it said that the one piece windows will work because of the way he done it !! Now that's what he said ????? His boss restored a 71 and he done all the body work for it and after it was done his boss asked him to put the single window kit in and make them power !!?!??? So maybe I'll get lucky in that sense??? We shall see"!?!! Lol
Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #44
Trucolur

And now that I go back and look at my pictures they will fit !!! He has the little triangle pieces welded in already so that's going to be fine I guess !!! Now the back glass and I think I'm good !!!???
Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #45
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

I dont think one piece windows for stock doors will work , you can modify the doors and add metal the the front or rear of the door because not rolled up they will leave a gap , the guy that chopped it could have easily done this but it looks to me like he would have needed to have the glass to know how much and where to add to make them work , I think when you install one piece glass for stock doors and roll them up you will see the either more bodywork will be needed or they wont work ,
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
Trucolur

Well I hope your wrong !!??!! But he said they would work !! I'm guessing after doing his bosses truck!! Maybe he went back measuring and knew what he was doing when he made it to fit the one piece glass !! I don't know ?? You maybe right but I sure hope like hell your not !!! lol
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #47
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

I have had rear glass cut for numerous trucks over the years in a dark tint.,65,66,67,68,69 and They just cut it out of Automotive quality smoked safety glass. Had the side glass cut from this as well, easy peasy. Vent windows with the holes are a different story but with out latch holes pre 67 I think will be fine.
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #48
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Sorry, that's not tempered glass; that's laminated glass. Laminated glass is made of two sheets of glass with a PVB plastic layer between. Both sides have to be scored and broken, and then the PVB layer can be separated with denatured alcohol (lighting it makes it work faster).

The options for replacing the tempered pieces are either to have laminate glass cut to fit, or to have patterns made and have tempered pieces made from those patterns. I spent over 20 years in the glass business and even had my own shop. I've done a lot of customs, and that's the only way to do it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #49
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

On 67 to 72 trucks you can use stock windows in the doors if you use the factory vent windows with the top cut off glass cut out of either laminated or lexan the factory side windows just dont roll all tbe way up ,
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #50
Poppa Wheelie

Any updates on this project?
Poppa Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote