The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
lil hoodlum

Talking Sometimes ya just get lucky!

Today I was off from work and decided to have lunch with my girl. I picked her up at work and when went and had a couple of burgers from Whataburger. I had a pretty good time. Food and service were both pretty good. Anyways, I take her back to work and decided to run a couple of errands. Went to AutoZone to get a new gas cap as O'rieleys sold me the wrong one. Next I went to O'rieleys to return the incorrect gas cap. With not much else to do I went to a local muffler shop to see about getting a small hole patched up. They told me to come back after 1. So I decided to just go home for awhile.

On my way home, the engine just died on me. Luckily for me I was close enough and had just enough speed to coast into a parking spot at my apartment complex.

I was thinking AutoZone must have sold me the wrong gas cap. A non-vented one when I need a vented one. Took the gas cap off and truck still wouldn't start.

Ok, I think, must be something else. I check the usuals getting gas, new open element air filter, check fuses. Everything seems good. Well I must not be getting spark. I clean the battery posts and cables. No start. I pull the cap off of the distributor. I can't believe it but the rotor is just sitting on top not screwed down. Yes, it was just loose but apperntly still working. I replaced both cap and rotor last November. Either I forgot to screw it down or the screws came loose. I tightened it down and tried starting it again. No start!!

All right, must be something more! So I spend another 30/40 minutes diagnosing things. Like I know what I'm doing!!!

Well I ended up replacing the ignition coil (HEI distributor) and cleaning all of the electrical contacts while I was allready there. Tried starting it again and BINGO she's alive again.

I allready had a new spare ignition coil. So all in all, I fixed it with no cost to me, well at least for today!

I also checked my vacuum advance while I was at it and discovered it ain't working like it should.

Tell me I just didn't get totally lucky today. Nice weather, no time constraints, all ready had the parts, and made it home. I should probably go ahead and buy a couple of lottery tickets to see if I still have any luck left for today.

Keith
Attached Images

lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote