The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #26
racerman85

Re: Ate a little rice for lunch

sadly, its a F@RD, but hey its a 2005 36 foot V10 winnebago motorhome, towing a 18 ft enclosed trailer with 3 "full size" motorcycles and a CRF50. Trailer is about another 4000 pounds (approx, its an all aluminum trailer).

It happened when we were in South Carolina; we were down there for a motocross race. I was driving, and being 16 I got a couple double-takes. Yeah, I was in my lane, and yes I can back it up Anyways, we were leaving one of the gas stations in a city, I believe it was Anderson, i'm not sure. Anyways, I was pulling out and some ... in a riced out civic pulls to my RIGHT as im making a RIGHT out of the gas station, and honks at me and flashes his lights? I thought the trailer door or something was open, but it wasnt. I stayed in the right lane, and he pulls up to my left side at the next light and pops out his right window (looking up at me a little) and says "you look like a F'n @$$ driving something that big!" Of course, I laughed, and so did my dad. He continued to talk until the light turned, he mashes the "loud pedal" (annoying pedal) and i just pulled away normally. Now, the V10 in our motorhome is a SCREAMER. It loves running high and at the next red light he laughs and says "hah you were on it hard and i destroyed you!"

At this point, I just kinda looked at my dad and he gave me the nod I've raced our race cars and such, and I just drove normally out of town, and my dad knows the roads pretty well. He knew there was a passing lane about 1/4 mile up the road and told me just to wait for it... No oncoming traffic, and my dad started laughing before i even punched the gas. She downshifts and just winds up. I blow by the civic, and as soon as i merge back into my lane i see two little headlights pull into the passing lane... my dad instructed me to lift, let him get beside me, and then let em' have it. He got to my window, and I see his buddy mooning me from the back seat and they both thought they had us... Well, I dont think they were too happy. they pulled up beside us at the next red light and neither were laughing, both their windows were up, and their radio was turned down. Neither looked over at the 16 year old in the drivers seat...

Another funny and TRUE story happened last year at Ocean City, Maryland. It was their annual "car show" thing that they have there twice a year, and my friends dad has an offshore fishing boat and they offered to take me with them, and said we could cruise around in his friends big block, supercharged 69' Camaro. I couldnt resist; so i went along. The boat ride down was a little choppy, but none the less awesome. I honestly thought i was going to die when I saw his friends Camaro (at the time, I didnt know it was a bigblock OR that it was supercharged). We were going across one of the bridges on our way to one of the guys houses, and we see a set of headlights flashing at us. I never got a very good look at the car, but I believe it was a Integra? Anyways, the guy was tailgating us and I was pretty nervous at the time. Everyone else didnt seem phased, but I was told to make sure my belts were tight and thats when I got excited. I wanted to see what she could do.

The other car pulled beside us, honked three times, and both mashed it. We pulled him a little right away, and about a car length ahead we could still hear him pulling gears and the turbo whining and blowing off. The driver was laughing saying hes "only 3/4 throttle" and thats why we could hear the other car's turbo (s). the other car eventually came beside us and we let off because there was traffic ahead coming up soon.

THIS IS TRUE- The owner of the Camaro also owns and runs an offshore fishing company in OC. A couple weeks later, sitting at one of the bars on the strip, he heard the guy two down from him talking fairly loudly about this black 69' ish supercharged Camaro that beat him. As he listens more and more, he realized that it was the owner of the other car. He started asking a few questions about his car, and eventually the guy "had to show him his car." It turned out to be a TT Integra, claimed HP of over 1100 on 112 VP with stage 3 nitrous, stage 3 being alternate fuel (didnt say what the alternate fuel was). Evidently the guy wasnt very happy that a V8 beat him, and claimed he would find the guy and race him again, this time he would beat him. When he said that, he walked away from the guy and hopped in his Camaro, chuckling at what he could think up to say. He pulled up and asked the guy "was this the car that beat you? You must not know how to drive, i'm only running a blower and pump gas!" As he pulled away, the astonished Integra owner just stood there.

The next car show in Ocean City is 2 weeks from now, and once again i'll be there, but sadly the camaro will not.

*Sorry its such a long post. The second part of the story is much better when he tells it, because I wasnt there for the whole bar incident.
racerman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 PM   #27
dmsteele92831

My brother is one of those Ricers, but his civic is all show and no go. When I first bought my 68 Chevy c-10 (350 with mild cam, edelbrock performer, Holley 4 barrel, doug thorley headers, dual exhaust) he told me how these "old trucks" are nice but just so slow. So he proceeded to try and "smoke me" in his riced out 02 civic. Needless to say I left him in the dust and actually had the biggest problem off the line because I couldn't hook up my 33" tires

I do however appreciate all cars if they are done right and not a "Fast and Furious" wannabe. For example my G and my girl's Sti... that's a 4 cyl and a beast at that.

My G
Attached Images

dmsteele92831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #28
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
What did that little jewel cost, if you don't mind. I have a 6.0/4l80e and was thinking of super charging it. Nice ride, but you said used to have?? Is it gone, did you save any parts, I must know!!
It was about $4000. I could have gone centrifical and probably got it cheaper, but I liked this setup. I took it off and sold it when I decided to sell the truck. I wish now I would have kept it. My 1500HD has the 6.0L too, and I would have bolted right on!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #29
see ten
WTB this ad

It amazes me how some guys think a muffler and a body kit make them an instant racer. And yes I agree you can call those guys "ricers". However there is not one thing wrong with owning an import and they can be quite fast! My carport has an import and an American truck. Sure it's an import but it has 300hp out of a V6 that can pull 27mpg! I know my car isn't the fastest thing on the street (but it's pretty dang quick) I also get annoyed by people with "something to prove". It's funny, I have just as many guys in Camaros, Stangs and Firebirds trying to get me to race as I do punks in spoilered out fart canned hondas. Maybe it's just a testoterone thing!

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #30
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You always know the cocky ricers, they are just out to make noise. I am here to tell you that in my local town, there is a serious one or two. They make the "Fast and Furious" movie real. These guys have turboed packs of of "Mahatma" rice and they can drive. Oh Yeah; they have some bucks under the crappy hoods, but they can go to the dragstrip run damn decent 10 second quaters and drive home at 31 MPG.

I love turning the YE OLD QWICKED truck loose on the trashers, just as much as the others, but one has to measure their competition. Run what you brung, but don't hate them if they eat your lunch. Eat em, stomp em, smoke em, but bow to them for their efforts on the honest racer.

The 383 stroker is no slouch in my truck, but I can loose at times.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #31
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

Next time get beside them at the track and show them what losing really looks like(time slips are great humblers) My four speed, 3/4ton 4x4 is too slow for racing, so win some more for us slow guys!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #32
68c-10

Well my 68 fits into the same class as ND_guy due to my 307, 2bbl, th400 and 3:08 rear end gears.
But thats where my Gremlin comes into play. I don't have any ricers try to race me anymore but the best race I ever had was with a 69 396 4 speed chevelle. Me and my Girlfriend were in the Gremlin sitting at a light. The Chevelle pulls up beside me and revs it a little. Now I did not see the 396/ss badges on it so I reved the Gremlin. Light turns green and he leaves the line hard. Darn near pulled the front wheels. I mashed the gas in the gremmy and we are neck and neck. Next light we go again and its still neck and neck. After that he lets off moves over behind me and moves to the turn lane then I see the 396 badge. I was in shock, if I would have seen that before I would not have even tried! We contued to the car show that we were going to and low and behold theres the same Chevelle. I backed in by him and he walked over to see my car. You should have seen his face when he saw the 2 bbl.
The car is much faster now with a 4bbl and a 5 speed. It was auto then.
68c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #33
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
It amazes me how some guys think a muffler and a body kit make them an instant racer. And yes I agree you can call those guys "ricers". However there is not one thing wrong with owning an import and they can be quite fast! My carport has an import and an American truck. Sure it's an import but it has 300hp out of a V6 that can pull 27mpg! I know my car isn't the fastest thing on the street (but it's pretty dang quick) I also get annoyed by people with "something to prove". It's funny, I have just as many guys in Camaros, Stangs and Firebirds trying to get me to race as I do punks in spoilered out fart canned hondas. Maybe it's just a testoterone thing!

I agree with you. The advances in parts for the 4 and 6 cylinders and engineering on them have brought them along way. 300 hp remember the hp ratings of v8's a long time ago 180 - 250. My question is is when I'm on my bike why do all the 350Z's try to race me. I'm only 103 hp but can do mid 10's in the 1/4 easy. But they still try.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #34
70rs/ss

Power to weight will get ya every time!! I've seen some very fast Ricers, I used to own an integra. I bought it cause I was driving 125 miles one to work 5 days a week. It was a 4 banger and a 5-speed, but I whipped a lot of the fart canners. Mine was stock, stock, stock, and still pretty quick!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
dmsteele92831

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that top story on page 2??? There's no way a stock 305 HP Ford 35' Winnebago pulling a trailer could beat even a 100 hp civic. I'm pretty sure that's about 5 times the weight of the civic, and geared low. Sorry I'm calling BS on that story... or he was just driving normally when you passed him. One of my first cars was a civic (needed good gas and reliability for college) and it looked stock with just a few bolt-ons and against an F-250 v10 powerstroke (my buddies) I could stay at the tail end of his bumper for a good 15 seconds.

"sadly, its a F@RD, but hey its a 2005 36 foot V10 winnebago motorhome, towing a 18 ft enclosed trailer with 3 "full size" motorcycles and a CRF50. Trailer is about another 4000 pounds (approx, its an all aluminum trailer).

It happened when we were in South Carolina; we were down there for a motocross race. I was driving, and being 16 I got a couple double-takes. Yeah, I was in my lane, and yes I can back it up Anyways, we were leaving one of the gas stations in a city, I believe it was Anderson, i'm not sure. Anyways, I was pulling out and some ... in a riced out civic pulls to my RIGHT as im making a RIGHT out of the gas station, and honks at me and flashes his lights? I thought the trailer door or something was open, but it wasnt. I stayed in the right lane, and he pulls up to my left side at the next light and pops out his right window (looking up at me a little) and says "you look like a F'n @$$ driving something that big!" Of course, I laughed, and so did my dad. He continued to talk until the light turned, he mashes the "loud pedal" (annoying pedal) and i just pulled away normally. Now, the V10 in our motorhome is a SCREAMER. It loves running high and at the next red light he laughs and says "hah you were on it hard and i destroyed you!"

At this point, I just kinda looked at my dad and he gave me the nod I've raced our race cars and such, and I just drove normally out of town, and my dad knows the roads pretty well. He knew there was a passing lane about 1/4 mile up the road and told me just to wait for it... No oncoming traffic, and my dad started laughing before i even punched the gas. She downshifts and just winds up. I blow by the civic, and as soon as i merge back into my lane i see two little headlights pull into the passing lane... my dad instructed me to lift, let him get beside me, and then let em' have it. He got to my window, and I see his buddy mooning me from the back seat and they both thought they had us... Well, I dont think they were too happy. they pulled up beside us at the next red light and neither were laughing, both their windows were up, and their radio was turned down. Neither looked over at the 16 year old in the drivers seat..."

Last edited by dmsteele92831; 05-10-2007 at 03:33 PM.
dmsteele92831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #36
racerman85

[QUOTE=dmsteele92831;2168185]Does anyone else find it hard to believe that top story on page 2??? There's no way a stock 305 HP Ford 35' Winnebago pulling a trailer could beat even a 100 hp civic. I'm pretty sure that's about 5 times the weight of the civic, and geared low. Sorry I'm calling BS on that story... or he was just driving normally when you passed him. One of my first cars was a civic (needed good gas and reliability for college) and it looked stock with just a few bolt-ons and against an F-250 v10 powerstroke (my buddies) I could stay at the tail end of his bumper for a good 15 seconds.

Wether he was driving hard or not, I dont know, probably not. Its not stock-its got a K&N on it! I was also incorrect on the length; its only 32 ft, by the way. Maybe the joke was on me, but I figured i'd share.

since you're posting pics of your Japanese cars, i'll toss up one of my own. 91' Mazda RX-7 convertable. Lost the Apex seal at the end of last year, just waiting to get the time to pull the engine out of our other 89' RX-7. (which is getting a V8 swap). Its pretty quick for what it is, we lost the Apex seal because we didnt know it would hurt the engine if you "normally" cruised at around 1500RPM. Lesson learned, I guess. My mom told my dad she wanted an RX-7, and my dad didnt want another Wankel, so she gave him the go-ahead to do the V8!

Ps-Yes its dirty.

Seeten-I love your 350z!
racerman85 is offline   Reply With Quote