The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: TH-700R4 Thoughts and advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
AAMCO

Don't consider this the end of your transmission problems.
It is if you get the Lifetime Warranty, ask me how I know
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #27
kalbert

Quote:
AAMCO

I'm neither pro-AAMCO nor anti-AAMCO but people like to generalize and give them a bad rap and I don't know why. There's only a couple places in the world that make automatic transmission parts (regardless of the name on the box they come int), AAMCO gets parts from all of them. The quality of the labor you get from one shop to the next is related only to they folks working in that shop, not really a reflection of AAMCO itself. You could have an entirely different experience using an AAMCO two towns over. Same goes for dealerships, other chain stores, independents, whatever. Any one location is only as good as they guys working there, the guys working two towns over or 50 states away have no impact on the quality (or lack of) that you get locally.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone working at an AAMCO anywhere for more than a year or two that doesn't know how to get a 700R4 put together correctly. There's still hundreds of thousands of R4's out there. I'd bet just about any shop still does at least 1/month. You'd have to be a real dummy to not pick up on at least a few things working there.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
AAMCO

DITTO on that thought. Lifetime warranty or not, Ihave better things to do than stand in a shop and gdet the repair done again

FIN FIT FIR
Fix It Now, Fix It Twice, Fix It right
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #29
slinginrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
I'm neither pro-AAMCO nor anti-AAMCO but people like to generalize and give them a bad rap and I don't know why. There's only a couple places in the world that make automatic transmission parts (regardless of the name on the box they come int), AAMCO gets parts from all of them. The quality of the labor you get from one shop to the next is related only to they folks working in that shop, not really a reflection of AAMCO itself. You could have an entirely different experience using an AAMCO two towns over. Same goes for dealerships, other chain stores, independents, whatever. Any one location is only as good as they guys working there, the guys working two towns over or 50 states away have no impact on the quality (or lack of) that you get locally.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone working at an AAMCO anywhere for more than a year or two that doesn't know how to get a 700R4 put together correctly. There's still hundreds of thousands of R4's out there. I'd bet just about any shop still does at least 1/month. You'd have to be a real dummy to not pick up on at least a few things working there.
i agree ive been a certified auto tech and machinist for 23 years ive worked around some of the best and worst .the shops name doesnt mean anything,its the tech.best carb guy i ever new worked at a quick tuneup shop.but ive worked at dealerships where the shop foreman couldnt even adjust valves on a small block chevy.lets not even go there about the kids coming out of tech school thinkin they know everything.you cant buy experience.or learn it from reading stuff on the internet.you gotta do what you gotta do to get your truck fixed.whos gonna warranty your homebuilt tranny?personnally being a chevy tech the 700 is a mild performance trans if your makin over 500 hp your gonna spend big bucks to make it last.wasnt designed for any real power in stock or mildly built form.our tranny guy at the dealership was doin at least 4 of these a week in the 90s so the later ones arent that great either.good luck with your trans im sure the guy did a good job on it.
slinginrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Axle

I'll be the lone dissenter in the group... Ditching the 700r4 in favor of a TH350 in my '83 was the best thing I ever did. I hated the 700r4 with a passion. Never liked how it shifted, nor the gear spread between 1st and 2nd. Then there was the wild cost difference between a fully built up th350, and a pedestrian rebuild on a 700r4 (as in, no upgrades, same POS guts as it originally came with. Mention upgrades with the 700r4 and it was as if they where on par with gold value). I don't regret going for a th350 at all.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
I'll be the lone dissenter in the group... Ditching the 700r4 in favor of a TH350 in my '83 was the best thing I ever did. I hated the 700r4 with a passion. Never liked how it shifted, nor the gear spread between 1st and 2nd. Then there was the wild cost difference between a fully built up th350, and a pedestrian rebuild on a 700r4 (as in, no upgrades, same POS guts as it originally came with. Mention upgrades with the 700r4 and it was as if they where on par with gold value). I don't regret going for a th350 at all.

Alex.
I agree Alex, I never did completely jump onto this overdrive bandwagon myself. Overdrives are nice, no doubt, and I have a few cars/trucks with overdrive, but it's not an absolute necessity for me. Out of all of them (and I rebuild them) the 700/4l60 I dislike the most.
I have a couple cars here with 4.56's and no overdrive and really don't mind driving them around, (granted I'm spinning the crap out of it ) but that's part of the fun.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
swissarmychainsaw

Well, here's the update.

I had the tranny rebuilt in LA at AAMCO. Truth is, it was never really quite right. Before the warranty expired, and I'm talking at 11 months(!) I took it back in to the local AAMCO (Hayward CA).

WOW what a story.
This shop is owned by the Corporate Mothership, which means that in the time I dealt with them, I talked with 4 different managers.
It took them 61 days to finally get my tranny sorted out. They ended up rebuilding it, and it worked great, but man what a pain in the neck getting that sorted out.

In that 61 days I never had the truck back for more than a weekend and a day (i.e. when they were NOT OPEN).

In the end I feel like they took care of me, but I can't say I would ever recommend AAMCO. I also agree that the shop is irrelevant, and it's all about who builds the transmission. Well not irrelevant, the shop should take care of YOU and the builder should take care of the TRANS!

Honestly if I had not been unemployed, AND had my Dad here (bless you Pa!) to help with the house and shuttle me back and forth to the shop, I NEVER would have stayed the course.

Oh, and they gave me a 2year 50K mile warranty.

SO... I ended up selling that truck. It was really nice, but I just had enough.

Instead I bought a '75 GMC: Gentleman Jim 350/350 and LOVE that gas sucking hog.

I never liked how that 700 shifted, though the local tranny shop (who is reputable) said you can get them to work anyway you like 'em.

Maybe another time.

So the moral of the story is this: Take your time, don't feel rushed. Do your research and "get it done right the first time". Easy to say!

--Nick
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #33
mrwvsportsman

What about a 4 speed manual transmission? I have the same stiff throttle, but have a manual tranny. Seems like all I have read about are the auto with the throttle valve sticking. Thanks for any guidance! This thing is driving me nuts.
mrwvsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
old blue 86

double post
old blue 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
old blue 86

Try bow tie overdrives. If you want a good od trans.
http://bowtieoverdrives.com/tenseconds.html
http://bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml
old blue 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #36
donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwvsportsman View Post
What about a 4 speed manual transmission? I have the same stiff throttle, but have a manual tranny. Seems like all I have read about are the auto with the throttle valve sticking. Thanks for any guidance! This thing is driving me nuts.
First off, welcome!

Your right, your problem is completely different. Fortunately, your only dealing with a straightforward cable.

See if you can isolate where it's binding. Pop the cable off the carburetor. Work the cable, does it move freely? Yes, on to the carb. No, try to lube and free up cable. I'd prob replace it if it were binding.

Carb, without the cable connected, move linkage by hand. Free or no? If no, disconnect the return spring, try again.

There aren't nearly as many moving pieces, just dealing with the throttle. I've seen cables bound up (and kinked) Carb linkage with some corrosion, (or throttle shafts worn and binding). And throttle return springs that could hold a barn door shut in a wind storm.

See what you find. Possibly a mod could cull this out and give it it's own thread.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #37
mrwvsportsman

Thanks Donut. I do know the linkage on the carb moves fine. I'd say it is the cable. Thanks for the info.
mrwvsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote